UE4 Editor and AA:5

Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,249Beta Tester
@aaHollywood At what point in the development process will the UE4 Editor and mapping capabilities be added back into the new game, like what was done with AAPG? It has built such a devoted UMM community and has been a stepping stone for new designers, I'm sure people will be chomping at the bit to get going again.
Community Map Editor in AA:5
  1. Are you looking forward to being able to use UE4 to build maps?18 votes
    1. Yes! Definitely!
      66.67%
    2. Not really interested.
      33.33%
______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.

Comments

• SeVn.MaxSeVn.Max Posts: 225Player
    with UE4 great things !!!
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 433Beta Tester
    While AA5 is not around the next corner, I think this is an important question.

Most people are not going to actually use the editor, but I think having one is great for the longevity of the game. All what is needed is a few talented mappers with some time, and that can entertain many players for a very long time.

I think AA5 could greatly benefit from a map editor and support for UMMs, even if it requires Dev workhours to implement.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,765Player
    It was always a challenge getting umm on a server then getting people to subscribe before actually playing it. I just hope UE4 dumbs down the entire process so its super easy making maps, getting them on the server and playing them.

As far as the impact umms made on the community? Meh.. Not a whole lot of map builders, ever fewer decent maps, and even fewer servers playing them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 903Player
    Making maps will never be super easy.
    Until we are familiar with ue4 it looks similar but more complex .
    As for getting people to play umms its people that crave more than official maps that will download and play.
    101st server play only umms .
    If you check the server ranking you will see how popular umms really are .
  • Whiplash27Whiplash27 Posts: 1,914Player
    edited October 18
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    It was always a challenge getting umm on a server then getting people to subscribe before actually playing it. I just hope UE4 dumbs down the entire process so its super easy making maps, getting them on the server and playing them.

As far as the impact umms made on the community? Meh.. Not a whole lot of map builders, ever fewer decent maps, and even fewer servers playing them.

The current setup is a huge issue for UMMs. As you said, it's a pain. UMMs have a lot working against them.
    1) Biggest issue: You have to download all of the custom maps on the server before joining. If a server has a lot of maps it can be 50+ maps. These maps may not even be played, but they sit on servers just in case people want to play them. Games on the Source engine only required you to just download the map that the server is currently playing. Being forced to download every map before joining the server can take a long time, people will leave the server when they realize how long it will take.

2) It takes forever to load the maps. The first time you load a UMM it takes a while to build shaders and just load the map in general. If you don't have the game installed on an SDD it also takes a really long time to load the map every single change regardless of if you've played it before. If you compare this to the standard maps there's a huge difference.

3) Disc space. Not an issue for everyone, but I have 82 maps in my UMM folder that take up 7.26 GB. In comparison, the America's Army folder itself is 16GB.

4) Map quality. I don't rate this as a high issue since there's a lot of variety. If you don't like a map you can either just play the map and screw around, have fun, or just sit out the map if you really hate it that much. Although, I could see that some people would be bothered if they join a UMM server and they don't enjoy the maps that the server is playing.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • Download time especially on a slower Dsl connection is something that keeps me from joining UMM servers. If the download system was capable of downloading the current map playing on the server then download as need it I would think about joining UMM servers.
    Also if you take a week or 2 from joining on those servers then you will have to download more maps again.

A " smart" download system may get more people to play more UMMs .
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 247Player
    Is the UE4 Editor easier to use than the current editor?
    Amateurs try until they can get it right, Professionals keep trying until they can't get it wrong

P0asKE2.jpg
  • Whiplash27Whiplash27 Posts: 1,914Player
    edited October 18
    Is the UE4 Editor easier to use than the current editor?

Never used it. I think Wolverine has used it extensively if he's still around. Maybe Keebler has as well. Either way, I hear that in general the tools that come with UE4 are easier to use than UE3.

You also have to remember that the AA mission editor isn't 100% stock UE3 map editor. The Dev team modifies it to have their own custom packages for static meshes, actors and such, certain types of volumes, ability to edit your map details and objectives, among other things. So there is some customization that is needed, although I'd imagine that they'd do this anyway when building the game. So I'm not sure if they could put out a full editor on day 1 or if it's the creation of the basic editor that really takes all of the time. If the ability to put out the full editor on Day 1 existed, then I'd say do it and then put out a basic editor after the fact.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,249Beta Tester
    edited October 18
    I think the UE4 editor would be more difficult, but also more rewarding in terms of what you can do.

In other words, to the people who never really learn how to use it, they will create fantastic bugs! :)

We have people right now who go "Let's see what THIS does" and get things totally messed up since they don't follow mapping guidelines and seem unwilling to research and study. That will get worse with UE4.

I still think this discussion is an important one.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 288Developer
    Honestly I have no idea lol

Any way you could start that discussion early and let us know, so the community can continue to thrive and grow with the game?
    ______

Keebler750 wrote: »

Any way you could start that discussion early and let us know, so the community can continue to thrive and grow with the game?

I'm worried user made maps will be a lot tougher in the new engine -- just a whole lot more going on in the editor
  • }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 596Moderator
    To be fair the players that have interest in this are vary good at it. Some of the maps are vary well made and with trial and error I am positive they will perfect their skills like they did with this editor.
    edited October 20

I'm worried user made maps will be a lot tougher in the new engine -- just a whole lot more going on in the editor

I KNOW it'll be a lot tougher, but there are certain benefits to the community and map makers to get UE4 rolling as a skillset and this can fill one niche of several possible for the audience you're looking for. You could even potentially look for upcoming computer talent if this was pursued. Make it a big deal!

I wonder if the built in code functionality of C++ / Blueprints in the Editor would cause issues for the Studio re: controlling access to the core code and game integrity? I don't know enough about it.
    ______

Keebler750 wrote: »
    I KNOW it'll be a lot tougher, but there are certain benefits to the community and map makers to get UE4 rolling as a skillset and this can fill one niche of several possible for the audience you're looking for. You could even potentially look for upcoming computer talent if this was pursued. Make it a big deal!

That's a good point, for sure
  • I think the ue4 editor is refreshing, the editor allows you to conquer larger tasks with less effort as well as adding really nice features. I really hope the devs allow the users access to the advanced editor at least. I know all us map makers like making content other people can play on. Having access to the editor is also educational for level design.
    I think the ue4 editor is refreshing, the editor allows you to conquer larger tasks with less effort as well as adding really nice features. I really hope the devs allow the users access to the advanced editor at least. I know all us map makers like making content other people can play on. Having access to the editor is also educational for level design.

That's really cool, I'm glad to hear that!
  • DELTATHUND3RDELTATHUND3R Posts: 123Moderator
    Hello all. been a long time.... So UE4 is a powerful beast and I was lucky enough to be in the first wave of testers in its early days. This engine does have more under the hood than our sweet UDK princess but I know most of the mappers would grasp the new features and come up with some rather amazing environs if given the chance.
    I don't see why this would not be something the Dev team would consider since the editor in AAPG was a huge hit and gave AAPG longevity due to the huge amount of variation.
    If the UE4AA5 editor did finally come it would be a while into development of the new game but something that the community would surely love.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 163Player
    edited October 25
    Why do the map editor tools have to be bastardised prior to public release anyway?
    I think the biggest complaint among map makers (I have overheard) is the locked out features and buggy nature of the public editor.
    Why cant the public map makers have the exact same map making tools available to developers?
    Long as AA maintains the Authentication Server and Points System, not much could go wrong and would encourage creativity.
    35d2uec.png
    edited October 25
    Why do the map editor tools have to be bastardised prior to public release anyway?
    I think the biggest complaint among map makers (I have overheard) is the locked out features and buggy nature of the public editor.

I speculate that having control of your own game is important, and developers ought to reserve the right to how their game is used and played. So, limiting certain content falls within that rightful regime of control. If you don't want space ships and aliens flying around in zero grav while US infantry soldiers extoll the virtues of the Army, then.....ya.....

As to bugs; the Unreal Editor is a creation of Epic Games and has bugs all by itself, without integration into a third party game. No game is bug-less, let alone a free one.

I always challenge people to go and learn how to make the perfect game and then come back and help the Devs. It would benefit the community here greatly! :+1:
    ______