Server rules in info

aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 345Developer
Ok so based on my whiteboard note of "PC Server rules in info" can one of you guys give me a rundown of exactly you want to see and where/when for this new feature? I might as well start getting it fleshed out now for implementation later this year. I'm guessing you know what you want better than I do.

Hit it! (Please.) o:)

Comments

• nL^Z0naGaming_nL^Z0naGaming_ Posts: 660Player
    I don't know about putting it server info, there is maybe a hand full that actually looks there. The only reason I would look at server info is to see if they are running CSHD crap or not..

I think making it like a welcome screen were people can put their text and rules before you can select the team is a better option then adding it to server info, at least this way you know they saw those rules before clicking oke/continue before they started to break the rules.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 164Player
    On load map load/server join.
    Bottom Left; large text box explaining the serve rules (customisable by server admin).
    Bottom Right; large blank box reserved the the clan or group logo/signature image (image address link).
    Top Left; <INSERT PLAYER NAME HERE> You are now being deployed to: <INSERT MAP NAME HERE>
    Background; Static image of a top down view of the map, including a few unique pics of the map made to look like polaroid pictures.

When in server.
    On the Player Server Screen (tab) a list at the bottom should show all the server messages. Maybe even a 3 line sentence ticker?
    In the Server Browser the user can hover over the server for a tooltip to appear showing the basic server stats, players inside, server name, server ip and a list of the server rules.

Option for Admin to set a Autokick parameter based on high ping, ie. 150ms.
    This can be represented in the server browser with the icon of a boot. When player hovers over it the tooltip popup shows the maximum player ping allowed.
    35d2uec.png
  • }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 621Administrator
    Just add it to the ini in server info. being able to repeat the ini command to repeat a space for a new rule. This way a server admin can but 1 rule if he choses or 15. The same way you would in the rolling consol in a sense.
    pb_sv_task 15 480 say <<Rules:>>
    pb_sv_task 17 480 say <<Respect All Players In Server!>>
    pb_sv_task 19 480 say <<No Glitching/Hacking/Ghosting!>>
    pb_sv_task 21 480 say <<No Excessive Vulgarity!>>
    pb_sv_task 23 480 say <<No Blocking Teammates!>>
    pb_sv_task 25 480 say <<No Objective>>
    pb_sv_task 27 480 say <<English Only In Game Server!>>
    pb_sv_task 29 480 say <<You Must Have PBSS Or You'll Be Kicked/Banned!>>
    pb_sv_task 31 480 say <<No Team Killing Or Roe Efforts!>>
    something like that.
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,362Player
    Please add it to server info at lease its all in one place and not scrolling up ever 30 seconds or more in the chat box.
    edited September 26
    Again, I think putting it into server info is a bad idea because not many people will press ESC > Server Info and then starts reading. Also, they will claim "Oh, didn't read that and didn't know it was there".

So, for me personally it's always been better to have a welcome screen before they can pick their team. With a button they need to click, that way they can't claim they never seen the rules of the server.

The way I designed this image for the idea I have is that everything will be centered, and then for the server.ini where you can set "Welcome's Message" "URL for clan logo image" "Lines for text" and it would be really helpful if it comes with a command to space things, for example the html BR command but with its own twist so it has it's own command set by the developers so we don't get weird html welcome screens and abuses. Or that you start a new line in the ini that will make it a new line.

Image included for the idea in my head.

• COKECOLACOKECOLA Posts: 31Developer
    Again, I think putting it into server info is a bad idea because not many people will press ESC > Server Info and then starts reading. Also, they will claim "Oh, didn't read that and didn't know it was there".

So, for me personally it's always been better to have a welcome screen before they can pick their team. With a button they need to click, that way they can't claim they never seen the rules of the server.

The way I designed this image for the idea I have is that everything will be centered, and then for the server.ini where you can set "Welcome's Message" "URL for clan logo image" "Lines for text" and it would be really helpful if it comes with a command to space things, for example the html BR command but with its own twist so it has it's own command set by the developers so we don't get weird html welcome screens and abuses. Or that you start a new line in the ini that will make it a new line.

I like this one. :)
    1 message in chat box is all we will need Please read server info for server rules if they choose not to read it so be it.
    1 message in chat box is all we will need Please read server info for server rules if they choose not to read it so be it.

That will not work either, some players disable their chat box or completely disable their in-game HUD's. I even do it sometimes, so they will not be able to see that message nor will they take the time to go true all that hassle. Server admins will use that as a excuse and think they have a free pass in kicking those players, that's why it will be a bad idea to put it in server info.
    Server admins will ask the to read rules and point them in the right direction.
    Server admins will ask the to read rules and point them in the right direction.

You would maybe, but others might not. Always put yourself in others their shoes when thinking about things like this, and when I do it I see more bad admins then there are good admins.

To realize idea's you always have to go true pro's and con's list, and with putting it in server info I find myself with more con's then pro's, plus one of the pro's with my idea. Less hassle, easier to get eyes on it and more people will actually read it.
  • [soldier][soldier] Posts: 67Player
    Putting a barrier in the way of the player getting into the game is not going to force them to read it. Server info, like rules, belongs on the server info page.
    [soldier] wrote: »
    Putting a barrier in the way of the player getting into the game is not going to force them to read it. Server info, like rules, belongs on the server info page.

I disagree, you are not forcing players to read it nor is it a barrier. It's their choice to read it or they can simply click it away instantly, but this way they can't deny that they didn't see the server rules and as extra they have a welcome screen on the server. I guarantee putting it in server info 90% of the players will not be reading it if not more because they simply don't care to visit that page.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 278Player

Well, personally this just seems to be the most logical choice in my opinion. I don't know about the PC side (though I have checked it out), but if there's a page which displays information on the Server than obviously the Server rules -- being information about the server -- should go on the server info page.
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
    We have the server rules right in front of them in chat box and no one takes notice of them I still have to say day after day no sniper on inner the best place for them is server info.

Well, personally this just seems to be the most logical choice in my opinion. I don't know about the PC side (though I have checked it out), but if there's a page which displays information on the Server than obviously the Server rules -- being information about the server -- should go on the server info page.

Well, the server information page is about server information. Like the owners, the server settings. If they implement my idea correctly they will have this on when joining a server and have it pop-up when they press ESC > Server Rules (of course this menu should be added). For some reason people like to do it harder then it have to be so why not.

We have the server rules right in front of them in chat box and no one takes notice of them I still have to say day after day no sniper on inner the best place for them is server info.

Already told you why before;
    some players disable their chat box or completely disable their in-game HUD's.
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 345Developer

Saved. Thanks!

Saved. Thanks!

You're welcome ;)
  • }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 621Administrator
    The only issue with this is some players will play in a server for hours and for get a server rule. And if the server is not pb rolling the rules then we would rather have the option of saying you can look into the server info to refresh your memory on our server rules. I really don't think this is a complicated request. I agree with Z0naGaming.eM in that a welcome page to the server ini should be added to give a quick detail to the servers info so the player joining in will know what he or she is to expect for the server. But the screen will disappear so having somewhere you can but it concrete is muck better for the long run. There are so many people that ignore the rolling console messages. So if you do a welcome screen and add it to server info not only will we be making all server owners and players happy. Of course these are all optional like usual. A server having the option to use the welcome screen message by default or add in the pb scroll or the server info. It leaves it open for the operator of the server. If you ask me I would bet 85% of all servers would use all 3 functions.
    edited September 27
    The only issue with this is some players will play in a server for hours and for get a server rule. And if the server is not pb rolling the rules then we would rather have the option of saying you can look into the server info to refresh your memory on our server rules. I really don't think this is a complicated request. I agree with Z0naGaming.eM in that a welcome page to the server ini should be added to give a quick detail to the servers info so the player joining in will know what he or she is to expect for the server. But the screen will disappear so having somewhere you can but it concrete is muck better for the long run. There are so many people that ignore the rolling console messages. So if you do a welcome screen and add it to server info not only will we be making all server owners and players happy. Of course these are all optional like usual. A server having the option to use the welcome screen message by default or add in the pb scroll or the server info. It leaves it open for the operator of the server. If you ask me I would bet 85% of all servers would use all 3 functions.

Ye I realized that later that after the players are in the server for hours they can forget the rules or wan't to see it again, so in that case it would be good if they added a extra menu like ESC > Server Rules to make it pop-up again.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 572Player
    I don't know about putting it server info, there is maybe a hand full that actually looks there. The only reason I would look at server info is to see if they are running CSHD crap or not..

I think making it like a welcome screen were people can put their text and rules before you can select the team is a better option then adding it to server info, at least this way you know they saw those rules before clicking oke/continue before they started to break the rules.

CSHD is, easily, the better of the two options. It has its cons, but what you see on your screen is more accurate on CSHD servers.