Whats wrong with Harbor Assault?

frankoffrankof Posts: 905Moderator
So, tell me, whats wrong with that map that prevents it from being a successful map?
Its based on Urban Assault, one of the more popular maps back in AA2.x

For me its the lighting (or rather the lack of it) and the cluttered environment which makes it somewhat tough to play unless you "fix" your monitors gamma(ingame is locked) and by that making it "unfair".
ss_4_frankof.png

Comments

• FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 555Player
    Compared to UA it is too open. Especially the middle part. It used to be a little room up and the lower middle had a ceiling. Played better. I also liked the sunny theme.
    AAPG is good!
  • Whiplash27Whiplash27 Posts: 1,821Player
    I also think the way the objectives are designed are quite different than the original. I can't remember since I haven't played it in a long time, but in UA they were enclosed with doors and boards that you can slightly see through whereas in HA it's open and easily spamable with grenades. Also, UA was an M16 map, the change in weapons makes a difference.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • -[iG]-Leketiskis-[iG]-Leketiskis Posts: 119Player
    Hello,
    having light shinny style map would be nice, since most of the maps are quite dark. also its quite diferent because of the objects like other guys mentioned. It used to be that taking obj was easier, now obj are open from almost all sides. Basically all areas when you look used to be more closed, now everything is open and combined with dark map it's hard so see when guy from other side of map (dark corner) shot you. It used to have plenty fun jumps where if timed well you could jump from one area (delta to charly for example), now the only possible jump is from Xray to Xray overwatch.
    Urban used to have that fast, parkour feeling even for slow paste AA2.

However I still like Harbor myself.
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 241Developer
    I think harbor assault was one of the ones on the fast track to the PS4. The other might have been insurgent camp?
  • -pR|Arkeiro-pR|Arkeiro Posts: 692Player
    The main issue is that you can camp on a side (south or north) and have clearly sight of everything but the spawn areas. The ligh or lack of it / environment isn't so relevant, I kinda like it tbh.

Elite Challenges completed:
    M24
    M249
    M4
    M16
    M14
    M9
    M870 - W00T!!!

1 to go xD
  • SeVn.MaxSeVn.Max Posts: 209Player
    in my opinion it would be enough to resize it slightly, more brightness and less containers. Structure it in a small port village in the current scenario.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 905Moderator
    I think harbor assault was one of the ones on the fast track to the PS4. The other might have been insurgent camp?
    Well, now you get an idea what to change before it gets to the ps crowd ;)

ss_4_frankof.png
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 144Player
    Too dark.
    That "hooooooooooonk" fog horn every 20 seconds makes me rage so hard.
    Maybe take away the night/dark mode along with the fog horn, and replace it with a overcast day thats raining heavy?
    35d2uec.png
  • [1%R]SiNsOfThEDeViL[1%R]SiNsOfThEDeViL Posts: 45Player
    I guess the lighting, but Harbor is my fav map tbh. And I am highly confused why it's not one of the most popular maps in the game, as It's really good, has many different ways you can go through and just overall freakin' sweet. Same goes for Sandstorm, I get that some people really don't want their entire sound to be blocked by the howling wind but c'mon, It's awesome as well, especially with the new RPGs.

Whatever you do, you cannot outrun the devil.

Steam
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 502Player
    Didn't UA do away with nades in later versions?

But yes. Lighting, too much [TOS Violation] everywhere.
  • Whiplash27Whiplash27 Posts: 1,821Player
    doogle! wrote: »
    Didn't UA do away with nades in later versions?

But yes. Lighting, too much [TOS Violation] everywhere.

I believe so. The map was well known for its spam nades. People had so many timed nades in that map that it was kind of unbearable to anyone who didn't know the timings themselves.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!