Comp Mode OT posts

2

Comments

  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    SoldierBob wrote: »
    Flashes are very random I think, I can never tell if my flash has had any effect on the person it was aimed for. Alternately if I get flashed 99% of the time I can't see a thing :lol:

    Sometimes they have a hand over their face as though they are flashed but obviously still can see well enough to kill me, even if I wasn’t seen by the person before I threw it, when listening for his location.

    It same with grenades, sometimes one can blow up right next to a person but an object they were standing or crouched next to, has somehow stopped them from taking any damage.

    I wonder how they can last so long in beta without being fixed, so I don't think its something they intend to change, for what ever reasons, engine limitations or simply just how it works, otherwise logic would dictate it would have been done already.

    Yeah thats the faulty animation you get sometimes.. The player has his hand in front of his face from you POW but in his POW he is looking normal without being flashed. Of course it makes it hard to figure out if a player is actually flashed or not.
    SSKoVie wrote: »
    Can't argue on the AA2 flashes. Barely played the game.

    Well it felt a lot more real, if you got flashed. And it was not deployed as spam, because due to different map design you had chose carefully where to throw your limited flash and in what situation to be more effective. The map design made the fuse issue less problematic.
    On the down side, the sound system allowed you to hear pins being pulled out from a longer distance.

  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    SSKoVie wrote: »
    `xinoN wrote: »
    Current flashes don't even give you the time to turn the corner and kill the guy you just flashed.

    This.

    Also, 'bad' flashes get rewarded now. Every n00b can kill me while they might not even deserve it. Like Necabo (lol) said, in CSGO it works very well because you have to time it properly.

    What's so funny about my name? :(
  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    Sorry man, kill@ sounded more authentic... No harm intended
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Man, noone knows latin these days.. KILL@ sounded like what it was, a nickname of a 13 year old.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Personally I'm appalled that people are not bothering to keep up with the dead languages........
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    edited June 2015
    So just because it's Latin and means "I shall kill" it should sound better? I said kill@ sounded more authentic for an online fps game.

    Butterfly or Schmetterling? Both the same meaning... Hands-down one sounds better than the other acoustically.

    Joke to a side I really don't think using some foreign or exotic vocabulary (like some British aristocrats did with French words) does increase any elequance.. But that's my personal opinion.

    I guess the lol factor was a bit of the timing for the name change. You know how this community loves to gossip.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Almost correct translation but it's actually "I will kill". Eloquance wasn't the reason for the change, I've been using the name for a long time in other games and it was also my first name on this game (before I played with old friends of AA3 who'd annoy me with my old name til I changed back to it). Made the change with leaving cK, not sure if it's a final change yet. I still think KILL@ sounds like some 13 year old kid searching for a name and it actually was.

    But what timing are you talking about? Did I miss something? :o
  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    No no I meant the change after leaving cK..

    Well it sounded like you find old name childish and the new one more adult and that's what I meant with elequance..

    For me elequance comes from content and not the used language (foreign words)

    But dude what do I know... I call myself applepie :p

    You are of course entitled to use any names you like. And I am sorry if the lol part offended you in any way
  • Would be a disaster to put the same flashs csgo mechanics on aapg. On AAPG with a good sound you can hear people taking nades from 1km, too easy to turn around. Whereas on CSGO you can only hear it from really really close distance...
  • SSKwaNtedSSKwaNted Posts: 266Player
    And with the small maps that we have you would be able to flash all the team at the spawn in most of the maps, something in the middle between aa2 and csgo would be fine imo
    AAPGOD/ Ex R6 Pro
    Achievements
    Youtube
    Steam
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    AA2 was better with flashes.. A person would lose its orientation sense completely as it would be with army flashes IRL (please lets not start a side discussion how realistic this game is.. i know i know its a simple computer game)

    As far as adding another element to gameplay, flashes and grenades are fantastic. But realistically they are super unfair (hence why they are so heavily used all over the world). It only makes sense to temper them in a gaming environment so that they enhance the game and not take it over ala AA 2.4 and later. I'm assuming you are talking about that period when gundrop was introduced, and to be honest, I'm glad you liked it BUT since we're in esports I think it's worth noting that I can't really think of a single person that I played with or against back then (TWL, CAL or CEVO) that liked how it dominated gameplay.

    IMHO grenades are way better in the optin and I think flashes could use a similar trim. If you want to make the duration longer, go ahead, but shorten the radius so that you have to do a little more than get it into the room to be effective.
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

    LETS GO PENS
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    .sauce wrote: »
    AA2 was better with flashes.. A person would lose its orientation sense completely as it would be with army flashes IRL (please lets not start a side discussion how realistic this game is.. i know i know its a simple computer game)

    As far as adding another element to gameplay, flashes and grenades are fantastic. But realistically they are super unfair (hence why they are so heavily used all over the world). It only makes sense to temper them in a gaming environment so that they enhance the game and not take it over ala AA 2.4 and later. I'm assuming you are talking about that period when gundrop was introduced, and to be honest, I'm glad you liked it BUT since we're in esports I think it's worth noting that I can't really think of a single person that I played with or against back then (TWL, CAL or CEVO) that liked how it dominated gameplay.

    IMHO grenades are way better in the optin and I think flashes could use a similar trim. If you want to make the duration longer, go ahead, but shorten the radius so that you have to do a little more than get it into the room to be effective.

    I often find myself trying to flash a room and running in backwards to not get flashed and to not waste too much time the enemy is blinded in. I usually flash myself and fail horribly. Think they should really change numbers at least for that effect reduction when you are looking away from the flash.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    another fantastic sauce post :wink:
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.



  • SSKwaNted wrote: »
    And with the small maps that we have you would be able to flash all the team at the spawn in most of the maps, something in the middle between aa2 and csgo would be fine imo

    Maybe more bounces for flashes? And if you turn back, on aapg you must be flash but maybe not full full or less time!
  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    edited June 2015
    .sauce wrote: »
    AA2 was better with flashes.. A person would lose its orientation sense completely as it would be with army flashes IRL (please lets not start a side discussion how realistic this game is.. i know i know its a simple computer game)

    As far as adding another element to gameplay, flashes and grenades are fantastic. But realistically they are super unfair (hence why they are so heavily used all over the world). It only makes sense to temper them in a gaming environment so that they enhance the game and not take it over ala AA 2.4 and later. I'm assuming you are talking about that period when gundrop was introduced, and to be honest, I'm glad you liked it BUT since we're in esports I think it's worth noting that I can't really think of a single person that I played with or against back then (TWL, CAL or CEVO) that liked how it dominated gameplay.

    IMHO grenades are way better in the optin and I think flashes could use a similar trim. If you want to make the duration longer, go ahead, but shorten the radius so that you have to do a little more than get it into the room to be effective.

    Well I guess this is the main problem we discussed somewhere else.. Some limited number of comp players from AAPG go out and complain why the comp scene (or in general active player numbers) is dying, but when some other "casual" player comes in (who really does not lack any experience in this game regarding time played nor matches played under comp circumstances) to offer his opinion, he is shown to his corner of pub and told to be quiet.

    Exactly this elitist approach in this community is blocking this game getting new players and growing in numbers to start with.

    You all forget that you fist need to make this game accessible to public and great large number of players, and then a bigger comp scene can form out of it. Unless of course you would like to play the 5-10 clans you have been playing against for eternity.

    Now for my taste of flashes.. I also can point out lot of comp players who loved how the flashes actually worked in AA2 Brand and would love to have it back. So for me your argument is only subjective and biased cos I never mentioned the version number or the gun-drop dominating the game etc etc. And for your information I played every version until early 2007, starting from AAO.

    To make it clear : I am not talking about grenades and their ridiculous/ unpredictable effect radius in AAPG.
    I offered my opinion about flashes in general.

    IMO:
    - Flash effect time shouldn't be touched. (definitely not shorter)
    - A person who gets flashed, shouldn't be able shoot straight as if nothing happened.
    - They shouldn't be able escape backwards, sideways to walk out of a corner (lets say top n-stairs inside- to upper gallery) just my remembering the map position. (hence random orientation loss) This could also stop ppl firing randomly to not get killed/choked, cos they could also shoot friendly nearby
    - they shouldn't be able to hear any footsteps. (so they can not blindly react to enemy closing in)

    If you think this suggestions would make gameplay worst, lets discuss it. But dont come around with cheap arguments like "this is esport section, why are you even here" .

    Edit: I also think its important for all players to put their input, because the DEVs will not go out there and make different flash effects for comp mode and pub mode.
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    Nothing I said was elitist in the slightest, at most it was anecdotal and the best I can do since that was my experience with AA2. I never said "why are you here" or even came CLOSE to implying it, so feel free to continue to project your frustrations on me all you want but they will always be your projections and not my attitude. I mentioned esports because I had experience with esports during the time when flashes were a lot like what you and others ask, that is called RELEVANCE not elitism....
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

    LETS GO PENS
  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    edited June 2015
    .sauce wrote: »
    I'm assuming you are talking about that period when gundrop was introduced, and to be honest, I'm glad you liked it BUT since we're in esports I think it's worth noting that I can't really think of a single person that I played with or against back then (TWL, CAL or CEVO) that liked how it dominated gameplay.
    .

    Well if this sentence that "YOU" like it "and "I" as comp player - together with other comp players didn't like it does not imply any difference between my opinions worth and yours.. than I am sorry if I misunderstand your point.

    And I do not have any frustration as you point out. I read the forums, and what I can gather in sum there is this approach from many active comp players towards non-comp players, and I find it only sad, cos this is chicken egg question. For me no Comp Scene, if no general player base.
    To other part: of course if you feel that the comp mode is more important or relevant , I would find this as elitist approach, yes!

    However this all is off-topic.

    Back to topic:
    You still didn't tell us why you think my opinion about flashes does make the game less good, or the flashes more unfair? Regardless of comp play or pub play.

    Because I am sure you are aware of the fact, that we will 100% not get 2 different flash effects for comp and pub mode? (if we even get a change for flashes at all)



  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    SSKwaNted wrote: »
    And with the small maps that we have you would be able to flash all the team at the spawn in most of the maps, something in the middle between aa2 and csgo would be fine imo

    this approach I find reasonable. if comp is only done in bdx maps
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    edited June 2015
    Well if this sentence that "YOU" like it "and "I" as comp player - together with other comp players didn't like it does not imply any difference between my opinions worth and yours.. than I am sorry if I misunderstand your point.

    I said that because I was trying to respect your opinions, I don't even know if you are a competitive player or not.... Beyond that, this is the esports forum, the one place where talking about competition is not only fair, it's expected... I provided my perspective and what I remembered of my peers, also perfectly reasonable. Everything else is inferred by you for whatever reason. I'm not going to comment on the rest because it's just more silliness.
    Back to topic:
    You still didn't tell us why you think my opinion about flashes does make the game less good, or the flashes more unfair? Regardless of comp play or pub play.

    Because I am sure you are aware of the fact, that we will 100% not get 2 different flash effects for comp and pub mode? (if we even get a change for flashes at all)

    You don't have to cook a flash that powerful, you don't have to time it, you don't have to do anything other than get it into a room. It's fair in the sense that everyone can choose them, but it lacks depth when it's so strong that you don't have to work or practice to execute it correctly. If this were a turn based strategy game I would completely buy into a flash that powerful, but in a FPS the general idea is to provide a good balance between explosives and projectile weapons. Reward players for execution AND tactics, not just tactics, otherwise it IS an RTS. I honestly can't say much more other than I played hundreds of hours and in several seasons of leagues with the kind of flashes you are asking for and I watched the game devolve pretty severely. It got to the point where guys would keep a flash in hand instead of their primary, that's just not the kind of game I want to play. If they put the kind of flashes in the game you are asking for I would stop playing. That's not some sort of dramatic overstatement, it's the honest truth.
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

    LETS GO PENS
  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    .sauce wrote: »
    Well if this sentence that "YOU" like it "and "I" as comp player - together with other comp players didn't like it does not imply any difference between my opinions worth and yours.. than I am sorry if I misunderstand your point.

    I said that because I was trying to respect your opinions, I don't even know if you are a competitive player or not.... Beyond that, this is the esports forum, the one place where talking about competition is not only fair, it's expected... I provided my perspective and what I remembered of my peers, also perfectly reasonable. Everything else is inferred by you for whatever reason. I'm not going to comment on the rest because it's just more silliness.
    Back to topic:
    You still didn't tell us why you think my opinion about flashes does make the game less good, or the flashes more unfair? Regardless of comp play or pub play.

    Because I am sure you are aware of the fact, that we will 100% not get 2 different flash effects for comp and pub mode? (if we even get a change for flashes at all)

    You don't have to cook a flash that powerful, you don't have to time it, you don't have to do anything other than get it into a room. It's fair in the sense that everyone can choose them, but it lacks depth when it's so strong that you don't have to work or practice to execute it correctly. If this were a turn based strategy game I would completely buy into a flash that powerful, but in a FPS the general idea is to provide a good balance between explosives and projectile weapons. Reward players for execution AND tactics, not just tactics, otherwise it IS an RTS. I honestly can't say much more other than I played hundreds of hours and in several seasons of leagues with the kind of flashes you are asking for and I watched the game devolve pretty severely. It got to the point where guys would keep a flash in hand instead of their primary, that's just not the kind of game I want to play. If they put the kind of flashes in the game you are asking for I would stop playing. That's not some sort of dramatic overstatement, it's the honest truth.


    Seems like there was a misunderstanding to start with, this happens a lot in forums, since you cant really see the one writing the text, and some stuff may look like sarcastic, that's what I thought about your sentence.

    About the flashes:
    I do not agree that you do not have to cook flashes in this game.. sure if you are just bluntly using an uncooked flash for a room, and the player inside is not high skilled he would get flashed. But from my experience many skilled players dodge 80% of uncooked flashes.

    I can give you these examples for cooking flashes and getting job done vs. not cooking them for inner:

    1- Enemy n-stairs top (def) - you wanna push the stairs. if you do not cook and he is leaning from the top door.. he can dodge it with a simple unlean. If you cook well he is flashed and you can push up
    2- Enemy inside dark room(def) - you wanna push from corridor next to wall, if you do not cook your flash, it flashes back part of the room, and enemy at the front bench does not get flashed at all.
    3- West wing push from west choke. 2 players (one inside west desk, one outside towards corridor. If you simply flash desk (cooked or uncooked) player on the otherside is not effected. A well cooked flash to the desk top gets both flashed.

    So for me there is depth to it as it is right now.

    I see that you don't like the flashes in general, which is ok tbh. Each player has his on taste.

    I get the same feeling about the fact, that when you actually use the flash the best possible way, that flashed player is rewarded in the current game, cos he can keep on spamming straight where he was aiming before, he can hear your footsteps, and he can run away from a flashed position with simple blind navigation.

    And even when you nerf the flashes the one on the receiving side is rewarded even more.. so should we simply remove the flashes altogether?

    As I posted earlier, I believe the issue is more about map design than the flash power.
    I can imagine playing small bdx maps, the flashes can get annoying. Don't feel that way on larger maps.

    And I know this is esport section, but I also appealed for 8v8 and larger maps for competition , so more clans can get involved. And I believe devs really didnt ask about flashes or nades.. hence the thread split here. :)

    Gush there are still so many other things wrong with the current beta, I think flashes would be my last concern tbh.

Sign In or Register to comment.