New Mapping Contest?

Hey aaHollywood, any chance we can get a new mapping contest? There hasn't been one in ages and there are plenty of good maps out there that people could submit. If it could happen, my suggestion is to leave it open (no theme) and allow each creator a maximum of two submissions (since some guys have dozens of maps). Could at least provide a jolt of fun back into the PC side of things for a brief time.
You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,334Beta Tester
    I'm quite interested in folks adding the RPG to maps, actually...!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • SeVn.MaxSeVn.Max Posts: 229Player
    edited September 21
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    I'm quite interested in folks adding the RPG to maps, actually...!

already done!! in a map i put 10 RPG for team, i could not resist :)
    I wish I could finish my respawn map. That would be hilarious!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 579Player
    Do mappers have the ability to limit kits yet?
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,938Player
    edited September 21
    doogle! wrote: »
    Do mappers have the ability to limit kits yet?

Sadly, no. I remember Wolverine made a work around, but they were of the force class variety and based on where you spawn. The most you can do is limit roles, not the available weapons/attachments. I'd personally at the minimum would love to force 1x sights on M249 in any map I make. I hate the fact that if I do a 12-2-1-0 role selection, I'm still stuck with 6 long range scopes in the map.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 164Player
    Iv been playing on a few custom map servers recently and there is some really really well made maps that should become official.
    There is also a lot of half baked garbage maps too lol.
    That old cowboys and indians town map is pretty great. I just forget its name.
    35d2uec.png
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 349Developer
    Yeah I'm bringing all that stuff back. Weapon skins contests too. Let's be a community again!
    Iv been playing on a few custom map servers recently and there is some really really well made maps that should become official.
    There is also a lot of half baked garbage maps too lol.
    That old cowboys and indians town map is pretty great. I just forget its name.

The cowboys and Indians map is really cool looking, I just wish it had a layout that wasn't long open straight lines. If it's going to be like that it needs to be an iron sight or at most m68 only map.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 278Player
    Yeah I'm bringing all that stuff back. Weapon skins contests too. Let's be a community again!

Perhaps winning entries could possibly be added to console? If not maps, at least the weapon skins.
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
    edited September 22
    Btw, I hope any contest takes great care to look at layout over anything else. Map flow, balance for attack vs defend (or attack vs attack), good choke points, not too many areas to be flanked without good tactics, etc. Obviously a good theme is important as well, but that can always be worked after the fact.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 278Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    Btw, I hope any contest takes great care to look at layout over anything else. Map flow, balance for attack vs defend (or attack vs attack), good choke points, not too many areas to be flanked without good tactics, etc. Obviously a good theme is important as well, but that can always be worked after the fact.

There could be two categories: Best Design (appearance) and Best Layout (Gameplay and Functionality) .

Devs and People decide on first place and People's Choice award for each category respectively... This is for maps of course.
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,113Beta Tester
    CSAR + RPG + Official = WIN! :+1:
    edited September 22

That should have been official years ago. I'd put that as one of the biggest mistakes that the dev team made in AAPG's history. So many players wanted official CSAR and some sort of anti AA2 mentality won out in the dev team and it never happened.
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,113Beta Tester
    We all make mistakes! :3 Many wanted Pipeline too, and that was blown up! :anguished:

That should have been official years ago. I'd put that as one of the biggest mistakes that the dev team made in AAPG's history. So many players wanted official CSAR and some sort of anti AA2 mentality won out in the dev team and it never happened.

All I'll say is you're wrong.
    ______

Maybe, but there was a huge push from the community to bring in CSAR 2+ years ago after wolverine made his remake. There was also a general negative feeling that much of the community got during those years of an anti-AA2 bias from the dev team (or at least those at the top) since they didn't want to do what had been done in the past or some sort of thing. I believe I remember a Dev even saying something to that effect once.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,780Player

How can you possibly know he's wrong? Are you Dr.Strange by any chance

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 579Player
    CSAR from Wolverine would have been a big hit.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 164Player
    edited September 22
    It's so refreshing not playing cardboard cutouts coloured with crayons or harry potter castle maps.
    35d2uec.png

So, any ETA of when this might occur?