AAPG Changes I'd Like To See

I made a post about this, but after playing AAPG again for about 5-10 hours after not having played consistently in a long time I found quite a few things that I felt could change to improve the game. So I'll make a thread and add to it. I know none of this will probably ever happen, but I'll still throw it out there.
  • Movement Speed - Increase forward walking speed slightly, increase strafing speed slightly. I especially think this is important when sighted. When you're sighted up, you're practically a sitting duck to anyone with decent aim.
  • Tactical mode - Using slow walk is completely silent. Make tactical mode slower than normal sighted movement speed.
  • Action Speed - Increase reload time, increase weapon switch time
  • Grenades - Decrease effectiveness of flash bangs when thrown behind an enemy, decrease grenade kill zone, add thermite grenade
  • Damage - Get rid of damage penalties. As much as they're part of America's Army history, getting injured is penalty enough. Only apply penalties after being revived.
  • Bleeding - Get rid of bleeding. It slows ruins gun fights and allows the guy who got damage first an even greater advantage due to forcing you to run to cover to prevent yourself from either losing more health or dying. If you want to keep bleeding then reduce bleed damage, reduce rate of bleed out and make it that only teammates (any teammate) can stop the bleeding.
  • Double vision - Probably the worst thing in this game. Get rid of it. Grenades, gun shots, etc. Double vision makes recovering from getting shot all luck. Also the grenade double vision makes anyone who spams grenades at you have a huge advantage since they can now appear in your vision and your ability to aim at them is seriously compromised.
  • Suppression - Reduce it greatly or get rid of it. Just because I'm getting shot at doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to see my enemy. If you want a penalty then increase sway when getting shot at and that's it.
  • Aim punch - Get rid of it.
  • Breathing/Sway - Either reintroduce the old America's Army style breathing cycle or do something to make aiming more difficult on long range scopes. In AA2 there was added sway to large scopes. (see picture below) It's laughably easy to aim when using a sniper or DM. The old AA breathing cycle was unique compared to other games. It makes your shooting mechanics more unique compared to other games.
  • Sniper - If you don't make aiming it more difficult, then I'd say that it shouldn't be a one shot kill. It's got the most magnified scope and isn't overly difficult to aim where you can use it on the move. Make a body shot 90% damage and force it to either be a 2 shot or a head shot for an instant kill. 90% damage is still deadly as it kills anyone who's been hurt already and at the least makes any player a one shot kill for any teammates.

Here's AA2 in Pipeline from that nook near the entrance door looking towards the door at secondary entrance.
66b0.jpg

You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!

Comments

• Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 637Player
    Agreed on all points.

Part of the problem with the M24, and other weapons I believe, is that arm hits are the same as upper torso. There's no bullet penetration, so the thought is that the arms often block the chest. The problem is that I can shoot someone's exposed hand for a one shot M24 kill.
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,422Player
    Agreed on all points =)
  • Hc|CAPTAIN(HUN)Hc|CAPTAIN(HUN) Posts: 108Player
    Go and play Black ops 4. Aapg is good how is it now

Hc|Captain(HUN) -
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,093Player

Thanks for the constructive feedback. Yeah, AAPG is good how it is with 650 peak players.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 313Player

Actually I partially agree with AA:PG being alright as is. I'm just waiting on more features for PS4. I'm a little optimistic about lowering the M-24 damage, as although it's a one-shot kill-- most of the time -- it's not overpowered. In other words, it's unnecessary. You can easily counter an M-24 with another M-24 or an M14, from long range. Or just get up close.

Everything else is fine as is. Whether or not the changes you suggest implementing would positively affect AAPG is hard to say; but they wouldn't effect the playerbase on the PC side in the slightest. Why?
    Because it's too little too late. It's been several years since the PC release if I'm not mistaken, and I highly doubt these minor changes alone will attract tens of thousands of players like on PS4, or hundreds for that matter. Most of the initial players (assuming there were a-lot to begin with) have probably given up interest in this game on PC, and probably wouldn't care if it did get an update.

Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player

Actually I partially agree with AA:PG being alright as is.

PS4 guys should stay in the PS4 section only, "AAPG is good" lol.. is that part of a knock knock joke or something?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • {!T!}LordDamian{!T!}LordDamian Posts: 713Player
    edited September 2018
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »

PS4 guys should stay in the PS4 section only, "AAPG is good" lol.. is that part of a knock knock joke or something?

Well, considering that they've never had the good version of AAPG like we did 5 years ago. I would say ye the PS4 community loves this version and will claim it's really good :glasses:
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 620Player
    The master race brigade... <3 It looks like the ex is bashing the new girlfriend.
    AAPG is good!

AAPG is good and if anything they should delete the PS4 only section and add a PC only section instead (since PS4 is now the vast 99.9% of the player-base).

And perhaps you should seek another game if you truly aren't satisfied with how AA:PG is now despite how many years its been since its first release on PC. I know it could be better (especially on PS4) but that's what threads like these are for.

P0asKE2.jpg
    edited September 2018

they should delete the PS4 only section and add a PC only section instead (since PS4 is now the vast 99.9% of the player-base).

Owned!

AAPG is good!

AAPG is good and if anything they should delete the PS4 only section and add a PC only section instead (since PS4 is now the vast 99.9% of the player-base).

And perhaps you should seek another game if you truly aren't satisfied with how AA:PG is now despite how many years its been since its first release on PC. I know it could be better (especially on PS4) but that's what threads like these are for.

Actually both threads are for future changes to AAV, which means changing what didnt work in AAPG and giving feedback to what changes need to happen and why. Just saying AAPG is good is the dumbest thing I could read at this point when its been over 4-5 yrs and the game has 200 players.
    Clearly, not good !!

and yes at this point even the most hard core AA players have found other games, players that have been here for close to 15 yrs and yes I consider that a major problem.

Oh the classic, if you don't like it find a other game.. Most casual players will say that these days.

Also, sorry but you are not in a position to say its good or not. You may think the game is good, but the facts speak for themselves were you only have 100+ hours into the game and were most of us here have 2000+ hours into the game and have seen the good AAPG turn into this hot mess..

Not only that, the PS4 version you guys have now, you got maybe 70% of what they actually wanted to have for the PS4 version. You guys are missing maps and game features, launch was terrible to a point they needed to remove the game from the PS4 store for a little time. Most streamers I talk to from the PS4 scene say all the same thing, they want more recoil on their guns.

So ye, you may like it so much.. But that doesn't make the game good.

If I look at AAPG, the biggest thing I miss that the other AA's had. The army soldier feeling.
    AAPG is good!
    AAPG is good!
    edited September 2018

Oh the classic, if you don't like it find a other game.. Most casual players will say that these days.

Also, sorry but you are not in a position to say its good or not. You may think the game is good, but the facts speak for themselves were you only have 100+ hours into the game and were most of us here have 2000+ hours into the game and have seen the good AAPG turn into this hot mess..

Not only that, the PS4 version you guys have now, you got maybe 70% of what they actually wanted to have for the PS4 version. You guys are missing maps and game features, launch was terrible to a point they needed to remove the game from the PS4 store for a little time. Most streamers I talk to from the PS4 scene say all the same thing, they want more recoil on their guns.

If I look at AAPG, the biggest thing I miss that the other AA's had. The army soldier feeling.

There's no seniority when it comes to intelligence: You claim to have over 1000-2000 hours of gameplay yet you fail to realize how trivial the effects of suppression truly are. I mean, if it were game-breaking, suppression would've been dealt with a long time ago. The fact it hasn't only supports the conclusion that suppression isn't an issue.

PS4 has tens of thousands of players, yet the suppression effect we sustain from explosions and incoming-fire is very real. I see no reason to change something which isn't causing any harm, just to benefit a practically infinitesimal percentage of the player-base.

Regarding what the PS4 lacks; the circumstances now would suggest that 70% was just enough to draw a nice crowd of players for the PS4. Even now, the PS4 has a couple of communities with 8+ thousand players in each of them. People stream videos and post their AA Pics and whatnot, meaning that it's quite likely that the PS4 playerbase will continue to grow, if not maintain, in size for many months to come (especially if the Devs play it right).

P0asKE2.jpg

There's no seniority when it comes to intelligence: You claim to have over 1000-2000 hours of gameplay yet you fail to realize how trivial the effects of suppression truly are. I mean, if it were game-breaking, suppression would've been dealt with a long time ago. The fact it hasn't only supports the conclusion that suppression isn't an issue.

PS4 has tens of thousands of players, yet the suppression effect we sustain from explosions and incoming-fire is very real. I see no reason to change something which isn't causing any harm, just to benefit a practically infinitesimal percentage of the player-base.

Regarding what the PS4 lacks; the circumstances now would suggest that 70% was just enough to draw a nice crowd of players for the PS4. Even now, the PS4 has a couple of communities with 8+ thousand players in each of them. People stream videos and post their AA Pics and whatnot, meaning that it's quite likely that the PS4 playerbase will continue to grow, if not maintain, in size for many months to come (especially if the Devs play it right).

Well and that right there is the problem with you, you keep bringing up how awesome it is and how many players yada yada.. We don't care about the PS4, the post OP made was for the PC Version where the suppression effects are simply trash can worthy.
    edited September 2018

Well and that right there is the problem with you, you keep bringing up how awesome it is and how many players yada yada.. We don't care about the PS4, the post OP made was for the PC Version where the suppression effects are simply trash can worthy.

This is the general discussion sub-forum, and how am I supposed to know that the changes he suggests only apply to the PC side unless he explicitly states otherwise?
    Regardless, I end any further commenting on this thread from me. I could care less whether or not these changes get implemented (since PC only), but I'd prefer if the devs not waste time and effort on something which'll provide little to no benefit for them in the end, when instead they could be spending their time more wisely on creating new content and features.

P0asKE2.jpg

This is the general discussion sub-forum, and how am I supposed to know that the changes he suggests only apply to the PC side unless he explicitly states otherwise?
    Regardless, I end any further commenting on this thread from me. I could care less whether or not these changes get implemented (since PC only), but I'd prefer if the devs not waste time and effort on something which'll provide little to no benefit for them in the end, when instead they could be spending their time more wisely on creating new content and features.

As others have said, the suppression effects ruin gunfights. Maybe the effect isn't as significant on PS4? If someone's shooting at you, you can be essentially blinded from returning fire, especially if it's an M249. This is needlessly rewarding a player for missing and making it impossible for a player to return fire. It's removing skill on both ends of the exchange.

A very minor effect, just enough to let you know the bullets are close, would be sufficient. If I want to peek into suppressive fire, my potential punishment should be that I get shot and not that I'm blind because of a cheesy "feature."

When I'm home I might go through some videos. If I didn't already delete them, I'm sure I have some good examples of why suppression needs to be changed. The proposed changes would benefit everyone by allowing skill to be more of a factor in gunfights.
    I posted this about a month ago in a different thread:
    America's Army has never been a MilSim and never will be.
    America's Army is a Recruitment tool designed to suck in all them poor little young darlings into the US Military.
    Where do you draw the line for realism? Is it ArmA or is it Counter Strike? Even Solitaire can be dicey with all them paper cuts!
    People want a quick and easy "jump in and win" games. People don't want high entry barrier games requiring you to read a thesis manual along with uber skills just to run around a map and have fun.
    Community creates the gameplay. In America's Army you can join servers where no one talks and your flamed for dying, or you can join servers that are vocally supportive and kind.

My reply to Keebler750 is;
    Do we need another half baked unoptimised laggy first person shooter made on Unreal Engine 4?
    My answer is no...

I think they should take steps to increase the skill ceiling. As it sits right now, there's not a huge learning curve to the game, especially compared to CSGO.

I'd suggest:
    • Get rid of the suppression effects from gunfire. Stop rewarding people for missing.
    • Get rid of the suppression effects from nades, or at least significantly reduce it.
    • Significantly decrease the visual effect of a flashbang that's not in your field of view. Flashbangs can be cooked. Make people throw them well.
    • Get rid of the exponentially increasing recoil with low HP. The penalty for low HP is low HP.
    • Consider reducing the radius on frag grenades. As with flashes, grenades can be cooked, so a good throw should be required.
    • Either remove supported positions or take further steps to balance them. Being able to strafe while ADS and firing is absurd. Minimal recoil, mostly behind cover and the ability to move from side to side while firing? What's the downside? I'd suggest at the very least forcing a dismount and remount animation to move. Possibly make ducking for cover take longer.
    • Maps built for specific loadouts. AAPG allows for too many zoom optics per side, in my opinion. I also liked the predefined spawn points for each fire team position for AA2.

I'm sure I can come up with more, but those are the main ones that come to mind for me.

first 45 seconds of this dudes game play.. the very first fight... now imagine every encounter looking like this lol.. no wonder I haven't turned this game on in 2 yrs

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,093Player
    first 45 seconds of this dudes game play.. the very first fight... now imagine every encounter looking like this lol.. no wonder I haven't turned this game on in 2 yrs

That's not even that bad compared to some of the stuff I've seen when I've played recently. Sometimes you get into a 1 on 1 fight where your enemy takes a full magazine to kill you and the suppression is just brutal. Double vision, shaking like crazy.

I found myself cursing the suppression repeatedly when trying to play again. I'd say the suppression most of all and followed by the annoying bandaging system were the two things that bothered me most after playing this game having gotten used to other games over the time that I stopped playing AAPG. I can deal with the slow movement and some of the other annoyances much more than those things.