Important Question Regarding AA!

Hello, My question is .... is there a way to have two versions of the game, for example regarding the "First Opt-in test", lets say I dont like this, do i have to unistall AA and reistall it to play the older version? or can I have on my computer the "op-in" version and the "non- op-in" version... if that makes any sense.

thx, -superman

Comments

• Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 624Beta Tester
    As far as I know, if you select 'None' after you had the 'Opt test' it will download the old file (~3 GB) and you will be able to play with that version again.

Some people mentioned to move the current files to a separate place on your hard drive, then copy them back to prevent the download. This way you should verify the game files after copying. I really don't know if it can work or not.

Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • hazealusRAWRhazealusRAWR Posts: 97Player
    Sounds like ill be waiting until august after 20 opt in's for full release.
  • -=[VGO]=-mmchaos-=[VGO]=-mmchaos Posts: 83Moderator

move the current files to a separate place on your hard drive, then copy them back to prevent the download. This way you should verify the game files after copying. I really don't know if it can work or not.

this has been done a bunch of times it works.
    test-tag.jpg
  • -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy Posts: 376Beta Tester

move the current files to a separate place on your hard drive, then copy them back to prevent the download. This way you should verify the game files after copying. I really don't know if it can work or not.

this has been done a bunch of times it works.
    Which files? Can someone tell me if it is the whole steam folder or just the AAPG folder in that Steam folder?
    One day I will graduate noob school!!!
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

• -=[VGO]=-mmchaos-=[VGO]=-mmchaos Posts: 83Moderator
    edited April 2015
    \Steam\steamapps\common\America's Army

the whole america's army folder.
    test-tag.jpg
  • Ok so , i go to steam and copy my AA folder? and put in in another place? then do the op in? and i can play both versions?... can someone pm me like the "slow people" version on how to do this? please, and thank you.

• Gronfather@TwitchGronfather@Twitch Posts: 466Player

I assume you'd copy it to another place, then once the opt-in is done or you want to play the older version you'd replace the \America's army folder with your old folder and you'd be good to go

• [CLS]_SgtMac[CLS]_SgtMac Posts: 199Moderator
    Make a copy of the AA folder before you opt-in.

You can use the launcher in this folder to play the older (open beta) version.

Then you can opt-in to the beta and from Steam you will be able to launch the opt-in version of the game.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited April 2015
    Don't copy/paste, just rename the folder. It'll save time. This is how I plan to go about it:

1) Rename current \Steam\steamapps\common\America's Army to \Steam\steamapps\common\America's Army (open)
    2) Opt in. Opting in creates a new America's Army folder for you.
    3) When you're done, rename \common\America's Army to \common\America's Army (opt in).
    4) Opt out
    5) Rename \common\America's Army (open) to \common\America's Army
    6) You may need to verify files at this point

If you're not worried about switching back into opt-in or looking at it offline after the testing period's over, you can skip step 3.
  • Gronfather@TwitchGronfather@Twitch Posts: 466Player
    These forums need a 'Like' button so I don't have to post saying thanks lol

• vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 272Player
    Was requested in new forum software topic by myself breen!
    AA2 veteran player / fanboy
  • DeltaKiloDeltaKilo Posts: 146Developer
    edited April 2015
    Actually, TheTots just let me know that you actually can like/dislike posts.  It is next to the "Quote" at the bottom of post and you can't see it until you mouse-over the posts...  And, you can't like/dislike your own comments...
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    We must see things differently, I don't see no like options, no amount of mousing around does anything.. just continually see this..

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 645Player
    edited April 2015
    Yep. No option for me either.

And line breaks are STILL broken.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    It should be working now! Seems like there was a bit of a permissions issue.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited April 2015
    Yep  :D

Edit - Subsequently, the "Best of.." link now works on people's profile page! I was gonna ask why that was borked.. now we know, it shows most liked content :) 
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.