Worth map making anymore?

I was thinking about messing around with one of the old maps I was making, but it seems that there's only one UMM server and I honestly have no idea how to even get in touch with the owners. Is anyone still making maps?
You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!

Comments

• -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,364Player
    Not worth it the way they are right now servers that are running them are showing in red even if you have the maps the only ones that get players are the clan servers and its mainly the clan members that get it going and keep it running.
    I put many hours into my maps its such a shame.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 283Player
    Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the user made maps on PS4... only the best ones though, as I'm sure there are plenty of maps made by the community.
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,951Player
    Not worth it the way they are right now servers that are running them are showing in red even if you have the maps the only ones that get players are the clan servers and its mainly the clan members that get it going and keep it running.
    I put many hours into my maps its such a shame.

Yeah, that's part of my worry. In the past beer me was pretty open with trying maps that everyone made. Unfortunately, the devs haven't done a mapping competition in years.

Although I've also deleted the original files for my map and trying to just use the one posted on the workshop, but it's giving me weird external reference errors even though I've copied and pasted to a new map and deleted everything that wasn't stock.
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 610Player
    make it , you never know Hollywood may fill tots promises yet ,
  • MaclobsterMaclobster Posts: 212Beta Tester
    Right now working on Hospital vip, like AA2 styled map, but with the hospital of aapg, removing alot of assets, removed darkroom, up and over, the extra entrance at spawn construction building removed,removed atrium, replace it with operation room,removed lobby and have the garage back there, same route as aa2, no extra, renamed some locations, add helipad back, with extraction chopper. add sliding doors, thats the one i have problems with now, still looking for the fixx on the sliding doors, the map is as good as finished :+1:
    (\/) (',,') (\/)
    Pipeline
    HonorTown
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,348Beta Tester
    make it , you never know Hollywood may fill tots promises yet ,

To be fair, Tots only said what was approved at the time. It's not his fault how anything played out. I've noticed a few people taking liberties being negative about him. This isn't some kind of one man show. It's the Army and Army Game Studios, and the entire decision process that entails.

On topic...there are a lot of issues with UMMs and servers right now (and obviously a low amount of players to try out new UMMs.)

I will admit I've become lost in all the bugs. This used to be my area, and now I can't tell what works and what's "a feature." Server owners 'hacking' work-arounds doesn't help me understand what's wrong, or people giving advice to modify unintended files like the default inis, for instance... :(
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,565Player
    Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the user made maps on PS4... only the best ones though, as I'm sure there are plenty of maps made by the community.

Yes, lot of maps.
    https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=203290&browsesort=trend§ion=readytouseitems&days=90
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 283Player
    Perhaps the community here could vote on 2-3 user-made maps which they'd like to see converted on the PS4.
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
    The problem is there's a lot of REALLY creative maps that don't actually play very well when looking at the technicals of good design. I'll be the first to admit that my map that became Rocky Road was a great creative endeavour that appeals to only a certain type of crowd, and ignores the concepts of good gameplay. So...a popularity contest ends up meaning there's an invisible unrepresented group who shun the UMMs and aren't designed for, since....they left already. :(
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • SMUGGLERSMUGGLER Posts: 32Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    I was thinking about messing around with one of the old maps I was making, but it seems that there's only one UMM server and I honestly have no idea how to even get in touch with the owners. Is anyone still making maps?

I made some maps too, mostly are played on the Commancheros server and a few others, but the editor is pretty much broken, my basic isn t even starting , on my kids pc is working :). Stuff dissapeared from browser, or has no textures anymore, just talked to muzza- prefabs dont reduce map size, i cant save the latest map, so devs could do something about it.
    The editor is mostly fine for me. My big issue is all of the crashes. The thing crashes on me like crazy. I've gotten to a point where if I do a full load of assets it's a guaranteed crash, so I have to load packages as I need things and hope that whatever I'm looking for is in there. Even then, there's nothing worse than when you do something that the editor doesn't like and suddenly it hangs and then crashes. I've learned to save constantly.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 164Player
    Good well made custom maps should be added to the official game map list.
    Reward the good, penalise the garbage.
    35d2uec.png
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 443Beta Tester

Reward the good. No need to penalize anything, in fact it'd hurt a lot.

I mean someone might just got started with mapping. He probably spent many hours creating that - using your words - garbage map. Do you want to take away his motivation? I think doing that is a very bad idea. Maybe 3 maps later he'll get experience and create something amazing.
    Also, penalizing might make experienced mappers scared to experiment with drastically new ideas.

I really don't understand why you would ever want to penalize people for making maps. Even if given map is bad.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    edited October 15
    There's nothing to penalize anyway. What are the Devs going to do, stop the person from mapping ever again? People have to start somewhere. Not every map is going to be good. In fact, few maps ever reach that point of being "great." Let's be honest, you can go through every major FPS game on the market, how many great maps actually exist? Good? Sure, maybe a good amount, but great? Very few.

People can put together a map and think it's so awesome and then it plays terribly. So much goes into a making a map and often times even if you think you've got a great idea it doesn't work out the way you expected or even worse you publish it and the community rejects it. That's why we have custom map servers and as long as those admins are willing to try out anything that people make then there's no reason for people not to experiment and have fun. Who knows? You may get a gem without expecting it.

I am still waiting for a mapping competition, I posted in the General forum hoping to get something going especially since it doesn't take all that much for the Dev team to at least kick off a competition. People can submit their best maps and we can get some stuff into the game. I just hope they don't do any themes like in the past. Just let people submit a couple good maps and see what works best. Most games have their best/most popular maps come from the community, so let's just hope we can get a few long lasting maps into America's Army.
    edited October 15
    I'd love to see the Devs put out a 'Best Practices Guide' of what works, what to avoid, and how to fix map problems.
    ______

• RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 164Player

I mean someone might just got started with mapping. He probably spent many hours creating that - using your words - garbage map. Do you want to take away his motivation? I think doing that is a very bad idea. Maybe 3 maps later he'll get experience and create something amazing.
    Also, penalizing might make experienced mappers scared to experiment with drastically new ideas.

I really don't understand why you would ever want to penalize people for making maps. Even if given map is bad.

Good Maps = Added to the Game Officially.
    Bad Maps = Left in the Steam Workshop to rot for entrinity.

Or would you like to twist my words some more?
    I am happy to undertake a collective banter...
    35d2uec.png
    edited October 15
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    I'd love to see the Devs put out a 'Best Practices Guide' of what works, what to avoid, and how to fix map problems.

I don't want to bash the map makers from the Dev team, but they haven't exactly hit a home run with any of their maps in AAPG except Inner Hospital, which is mostly a remake anyway. You could easily throw away the entire catalog of AAPG maps in AAV and I doubt many people would miss them. I personally can't even remember the last time I've played any official maps except Sandstorm and Insurgent Camp. I will say that the artwork in the maps are top notch, but layout/design has been somewhat sub par.
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 443Beta Tester

Good Maps = Added to the Game Officially.
    Bad Maps = Left in the Steam Workshop to rot for entrinity.

Or would you like to twist my words some more?
    I am happy to undertake a collective banter...

Am I twisting words? I wouldn't say so. What you originally said means that the Dev should penalize bad maps and I'm fully against that. What you say now (=Left in the Steam Workshop), is not a penalty, it's a lack of reward. The difference is massive.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    Keebler750 wrote: »

I don't want to bash the map makers from the Dev team, but they haven't exactly hit a home run with any of their maps in AAPG except Inner Hospital, which is mostly a remake anyway. You could easily throw away the entire catalog of AAPG maps in AAV and I doubt many people would miss them. I personally can't even remember the last time I've played any official maps except Sandstorm and Insurgent Camp. I will say that the artwork in the maps are top notch, but layout/design has been somewhat sub par.

"what works, what to avoid, and how to fix map problems."

Yes, I agree that actual layout is a separate issue. However, we could seriously benefit from how not to create bugged maps, for example.
    ______