AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 121Beta Tester
    OICURMT!
    Radio Tower, played competitively, was essentially a CQB map. The proper way to play it was a B camp. Maybe try to get a pick on an assaulter who thinks they've got a free run to A or C, but generally a good B camp was unbeatable. This is in line with what an earlier poster, I forget who, said about AA2 maps being largely one-sided with the team on defense winning 14/15 rounds.

I agree, sort of...

If you assume that the map were the same mission as the old. I'd rather it be a VIP or Extract map with two offset extraction points that can be covered from a distal location (read: distant, but not so much that it would take a sniper to cover it). That's the problem with Rocky Road, no way to cover both Tango and Uniform. Doing this takes away the "defense" mentality and keeps the round rolling along.

If old maps were to be re-introduced, I'd change up every mission, while keeping the map layout. Gives the oldtimers something to reminisce about while keeping it fresh for the young'ens. Some reasons that Pipeline isn't very popular anymore (in UMM) is because it' the same map, same feel, same objectives, same boring map... and as for Hospital.. WOAH! don't get me started. I still love it, but that umbilical has to be cut!

OIC!

--

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 322Player
    Copy n pasting maps is lame. I could see remakes for any old map though. For ex, Nuketown in BO3 looks a lot more futuristic when compared to nuketown in Black Ops.

What I'm saying is make em feel new.

Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 121Beta Tester
    Copy n pasting maps is lame. I could see remakes for any old map though. For ex, Nuketown in BO3 looks a lot more futuristic when compared to nuketown in Black Ops.

Agreed... don't copy/paste... Keep the layout, you can update the map, refine it to improve it and then have something worth playing.
    --

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    The server side statistics relayed show the player styles and paths taken along with what's popular.
    Its nots hard for the developers to replicate known "golden maps" into any theme or style they choose for AA5.
    1.jpg
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 641Player
    OICURMT! wrote: »
    Some reasons that Pipeline isn't very popular anymore (in UMM) is because it' the same map, same feel, same objectives, same boring map... and as for Hospital.. WOAH! don't get me started. I still love it, but that umbilical has to be cut!

OIC!

I'd argue Pipeline lacks the popularity it had in AA2 primarily because it's only available as a UMM. The vast majority of the community doesn't play UMMs. It also doesn't play as well because there's no grenade launcher. I don't believe the fire teams and different spawn points are a thing in AAPG versions either?

Inner Hospital is definitely overplayed, but that speaks more to the lack of quality of the other maps, in my opinion. Inner Hospital is simply one of the better maps in the game.
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Developer

I like this
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,448Player
    RollingInTheHurt wrote
    AAPG servers are now full of Cheaters and Macro users that ruin the game for everyone else with no repercussions.
    This is totally untrue our server is cheat free due to PB and -ACI- you can ask any player joining our server, its very rare we have a hacker on our server and if one does manage to get on due to making a different account he is soon caught and banned thanks to -ACI- and Punkbuster.
    I hope in the new AA5 the dev.s start to use -ACI- streaming on their servers if that happens maybe then we can see a end to hackers. If your servers are not streaming to -ACI- then give it a try and start to enjoy playing on your cheat free server again http://www.anticheatinc.net
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • [!ReDRuM!]Damian[!ReDRuM!]Damian Posts: 729Player
    edited August 2018

I agree with this, just like they did with Downtown into Uptown.

RollingInTheHurt wrote
    AAPG servers are now full of Cheaters and Macro users that ruin the game for everyone else with no repercussions.
    This is totally untrue our server is cheat free

No server will ever be cheat free as no game will ever be cheat free.
    It's simply impossible.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,129Player
    edited August 2018
    AAPG is mostly cheat free right now because there's hardly anyone who plays it. Who's going to cheat in a game that peaks 350 players? Punkbuster is done. Any new game needs to move on and use the most up to date technology.

In terms of maps, I remember that some of us tried remaking the old AA maps with new themes. Some people liked it others complained. I remember I redid McKenna. Some people complained that I turned the church into a bar and gray building into a barn and other things. People liked playing it, but once the ported version came out it was abandoned on favor of the original. Hopefully professional mappers can do a better and prettier version of they were to go that route. Just don't do what you did with Harbor Assault and change the actual layout of the map. It honestly killed any momentum that the map could have created for the game back then.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 641Player
    RollingInTheHurt wrote
    This is totally untrue our server is cheat free due to PB and -ACI- you can ask any player joining our server, its very rare we have a hacker on our server and if one does manage to get on due to making a different account he is soon caught and banned thanks to -ACI- and Punkbuster.
    I hope in the new AA5 the dev.s start to use -ACI- streaming on their servers if that happens maybe then we can see a end to hackers. If your servers are not streaming to -ACI- then give it a try and start to enjoy playing on your cheat free server again http://www.anticheatinc.net

lol
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    AAPG is mostly cheat free right now because there's hardly anyone who plays it. Who's going to cheat in a game that peaks 350 players? Punkbuster is done. Any new game needs to move on and use the most up to date technology.

Not really, they're just good in hiding it. And most servers aren't scanning for it correctly or have admins that lack the trained eye to see it. And PunkBuster isn't done, not by far. They still update their systems, just because you don't see it and they moved away from client side updates, mostly. Doesn't mean they stop supporting games like AAPG. By far PunkBuster gives us the best tools to protect our servers then any other anti-cheat system, the problem is Admins running their servers are not properly educated on how to use it properly.
  • -pR|speT.-pR|speT. Posts: 59Player
    edited August 2018
    I tried to read all the posts, but after a while i was too much crap.

I play AA since 2003, and believe me, i loved the AA2 version. But trying to bring that 15 years old game back based on it previous success, its an huge mistake. AA2 was awesome, but its success was also due to lack of other good FPS games. Nowadays you have lots of big hits, in FPS games, that we cannot also compare with, specially regarding their big budget… but we can learn with them. And we can even use some of the AA2 virtues, but not the all game...

After i exhausted all my AAPG joy, i tried several other titles, from Battalion to COD, from Wildlands to Division, PUBG to Siege, and i (sorry if i offend someone) cant find a better balanced and fair game than AAPG. Battalion and COD is the bunny land with all that jumps and all that crap. Wildlands and Division its played in third view with all that tricks, PUBG you depend a lot in lucky regarding the circule, and Siege has a lot of pick advantage. Don't get me wrong… i have a lot of fun playing R6, PUBG and even the others, but they are not better. The game itself its not better than AAPG, at least in my opinion. However, they have a better structure involving and supporting the game.

Since AAPG as a lot in common with R6, i will use it as a reference, to identify my big 2 differences.

AAPG doesn't have a decent ranking system, that we can use to make the players to play. If we had a ranking system like R6, we could implement competitions based on ranking average, forcing player to play in order to get a better rank, in order to have access to better competitions, or to better weapons, or to better add-ons. For example, you need play enough to reach rank gold in order to use a sniper rifle, or to use a acog 4x, or to play an official competition hosted by you or by an official (why not ESL). It doesn't have to be this one, or a copy of R6, but the game would benefit ed a lot with a decent ranking system.

The other thing that it would improve the game a lot would be a different servers system. The actual system creates an horrible owners dictatorship, forcing everyone to play under their rules, and forcing everyone to only their map or maps, killing in last instance, the public game fun. It shouldn't be them dictating the rules of the game, but instead it should be the game dictating the rules. What's the fundament in having 20 maps if there is only servers with inner hospital? Once again, my proposal is for you guys to look into the other games systems, and use a party system, based in Steam for example, allowing you to play with your friends using a party, in a random servers chosen by the game based in your location, and forcing also a random map rotation.

Of course that are other thing that you could get better, like a tournament mode for competitive gamers, Steam issues, more maps, more weapons, more whatever you want, but that will always be a lifting and not a structural change.

Good luck
    PTranger Portuguese Rangers Founder
    TWL Teamwarfare Competition Director
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 291Player
    I like the revising old maps with new skins, however it completely depends on gameplay. Look at Harbor Assault vs Urban Assault. They both play completely different, even with the same general layout.
    I like the revising old maps with new skins, however it completely depends on gameplay. Look at Harbor Assault vs Urban Assault. They both play completely different, even with the same general layout.

Agree completely, I am not a fan of "putting a new spin" on old maps. Just look at AA2 SF Hospital and Hospital in AAPG. It's nothing like its predecessor.
    I loved AA2 SF Hospital, but can't stand Hospital in AAPG. The game mechanics are not the same.
    1.jpg
    game that peaks 350 players

AAPG:
    Players in the last 24 hours: 590
    Most ever players online: 3,040 on Setember 2013
    Source: https://steamcharts.com/app/203290#All

As I have said before, the Americas Army brand name is tarnished and toxic among gamers.
    - v2.6 no longer supporting Mac and Linux gamers pushing away particular demographics.
    - v2.7 onwards pushed people away with its unoptimised buggy releases.
    - AA3 was over hyped and under delivered mess. Also stupidly buggy and unoptimised pushing players away,.
    - AAPG was quickly rushed out trying to patch the damaged reputation and brand recognition. But its to little too late and the player base as moved onto to other games.

If I was Colonel Mc Pen Pusher I would be demanding detailed please explain and heads would be rolling. It's a first person shooter game, it's not rocket science guys...

If AA wants help, listen to the community. Take peoples feedback onboard. They are your fans and player base. Word of mouth is the best advertising you can ever hope for.
    Engage the community, stop the closed door "us vs them" policy that has been prevalent in AA since day one.
    1.jpg
  • -R@MPAGE--R@MPAGE- Posts: 151Player
    [soldier] wrote: »
    PunkBuster detections are actively being developed, they have released 30 new violation codes just this year (although only a few are specifically for AA). Each violation typically covers multiple cheats.

PunkBuster also offers screenshots, violations logging, and the ability to perform MD5 and CVAR checks which continue to work long after a game is no longer actively supported. An entire anti-cheat community has been built upon these extensible features. Using PunkBuster, ACI has also been able to offer extra services like Clan Tag registration, screenshot archiving and analysis, ban list sharing, player background checks, and more. All of the other anti-cheat solutions I have seen are black boxes, you could not offer any of those services with them.

Anyone who thinks there is a magic key to anti-cheat is deluding themselves. Just ask BattleField players how effective FairFight really is (hint, it's not). With a block box solution the community has no way of knowing who gets banned or why. It's bad enough already that this is a free game and some malcontents make literally dozens of accounts in a week's time. At least with PunkBuster we have the means to figure out who they are most of the time.

Assuming you’re soldier from ACI? I appreciate this post, as the common player doesn’t really understand the ins and outs to cheating (aka me).

What would you recommend aa5 does in order to make improvements in preventing cheating (I get you will never completely stop cheating)
    I would take what's said with a grain of salt Rampage.
    ACI staff peddling how great Punkbuster is and how great ACI is when all they are trying to do is prop their own dying community?
    Must be why AirdaleOps, AmericsArmyServerAdmins and Punksbusted are no longer around? ACI and PBBans are on their last legs as Indie and AAA developers shun Punkbuster in favor of newever, better and more cost effective alternatives.
    1.jpg
    edited August 2018
    ACI staff peddling how great Punkbuster is and how great ACI is when all they are trying to do is prop their own dying community?
    Must be why AirdaleOps, AmericsArmyServerAdmins and Punksbusted are no longer around? ACI and PBBans are on their last legs as Indie and AAA developers shun Punkbuster in favor of newever, better and more cost effective alternatives.

And look how that worked out for those developers, their players getting banned for to good scores and get their privacy taken away by download files from their hard drives.. AA5 Definitely needs to get PunkBuster just because they give us the tools to work with compared to other anti-cheat systems.

Also, don't start that fight again with ACI it's not for this topic. What has been said is in the past and we are going to keep it like that.
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Developer
    game that peaks 350 players

AAPG:
    Players in the last 24 hours: 590
    Most ever players online: 3,040 on Setember 2013
    Source: https://steamcharts.com/app/203290#All

As I have said before, the Americas Army brand name is tarnished and toxic among gamers.
    - v2.6 no longer supporting Mac and Linux gamers pushing away particular demographics.
    - v2.7 onwards pushed people away with its unoptimised buggy releases.
    - AA3 was over hyped and under delivered mess. Also stupidly buggy and unoptimised pushing players away,.
    - AAPG was quickly rushed out trying to patch the damaged reputation and brand recognition. But its to little too late and the player base as moved onto to other games.

If I was Colonel Mc Pen Pusher I would be demanding detailed please explain and heads would be rolling. It's a first person shooter game, it's not rocket science guys...

If AA wants help, listen to the community. Take peoples feedback onboard. They are your fans and player base. Word of mouth is the best advertising you can ever hope for.
    Engage the community, stop the closed door "us vs them" policy that has been prevalent in AA since day one.

Hey what's up guys
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,129Player

And look how that worked out for those developers, their players getting banned for to good scores and get their privacy taken away by download files from their hard drives.. AA5 Definitely needs to get PunkBuster just because they give us the tools to work with compared to other anti-cheat systems.

Also, don't start that fight again with ACI it's not for this topic. What has been said is in the past and we are going to keep it like that.

Punkbuster hasn't supported a new game release since Battlefield Hardline (2015). There's zero chance that a game released 2-3 years from now will use it.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!