AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

1697071727375»

Comments

• LeftyDextrousLeftyDextrous Posts: 0Player
    I think it would be quite interesting to have AA5 be a larger scale shooter, in the same vein as Squad or Project Reality, while still being fast-paced enough to keep new players engaged. Having a game where different squads work together in tandem to win a game would be very interesting. I've also heard that earlier versions of AA had interactive experiences, such as having to learn first aid in order to be a medic on the field. Having a game like that would be very cool. AAPG is a very small tactics game, where most of the battles take place indoors, so having large battlefields would be a new experience. This is just my two cents, and I haven't read all of the 70+ pages of discussion, but I was too excited not to say something.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited May 2021
    I think it would be quite interesting to have AA5 be a larger scale shooter, in the same vein as Squad or Project Reality, while still being fast-paced enough to keep new players engaged. Having a game where different squads work together in tandem to win a game would be very interesting. I've also heard that earlier versions of AA had interactive experiences, such as having to learn first aid in order to be a medic on the field. Having a game like that would be very cool. AAPG is a very small tactics game, where most of the battles take place indoors, so having large battlefields would be a new experience. This is just my two cents, and I haven't read all of the 70+ pages of discussion, but I was too excited not to say something.

I'd personally like a bit of a mixture, although it's difficult to create a game that tries to be everything. One thing that the original America's Army did well is that it had a large variety of different map sizes. It was still based on a smaller up to 20 man squad, but you didn't have all CQC maps (even though I liked those most). Although I do remember old Battlefield games having the ability to have the huge maps with tons of players as well as squad based smaller maps. So it'd be an interesting take on America's Army.

Anyway, we haven't heard a thing about AA5 in a long time, so I wouldn't expect them ever to release it. It'd be nice to just get developer confirmation as to whether the project is dead or still being slowly worked on, but it seems like the Devs have long since abandoned this place. The Twitter and Facebook accounts only post random AAPG stuff. The Facebook account seems to get some comments which usually include someone asking about AA5, but there's never any response. Last time any of the Devs confirmed AA5's existence was something like a year ago.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • FrancusMaximusFrancusMaximus Posts: 46Player
    edited December 2021
    From what I've been reading for the last 5+ years the Army has been using this game platform as a full scale training simulation for a variety of expensive-to-do-in-real-life weapons and tactics. They have integrated tools like Cesium with the Unreal Engine so they can generate real-world terrain for maps and built a lot of real-world weapons system simulations. The AGS and S3I have invested a lot more in the platform than we'll get to see in a public version of a recruiting tool game. Redstone and AGS are fast growing organizations (840 jobs openings at AGS right now) and its at least partly due to this *game* platform.

They have a lot to draw from to build the next version of AA. I'd expect it to be like AAPG with current weapons and larger geographically accurate maps. Personally I'd like to see more drive-able/fly-able systems :-)

holy freak! I just saw how old this thread is!
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 337Player
    From what I've been reading for the last 5+ years the Army has been using this game platform as a full scale training simulation for a variety of expensive-to-do-in-real-life weapons and tactics. They have integrated tools like Cesium with the Unreal Engine so they can generate real-world terrain for maps and built a lot of real-world weapons system simulations. The AGS and S3I have invested a lot more in the platform than we'll get to see in a public version of a recruiting tool game. Redstone and AGS are fast growing organizations (840 jobs openings at AGS right now) and its at least partly due to this *game* platform.

They have a lot to draw from to build the next version of AA. I'd expect it to be like AAPG with current weapons and larger geographically accurate maps. Personally I'd like to see more drive-able/fly-able systems :-)

Where did you find the 840 job opening at AGS?
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 733Player

Current weapons...like the M4 we already have? I've lost almost all hope to ever see AA5.
    edited January 6
    doogle! wrote: »
    Current weapons...like the M4 we already have? I've lost almost all hope to ever see AA5.

I'd be surprised at this point. It was 7 years between the highly successful original America's Army until AA3 came out. It was 4 years from then that AAPG came out. AAPG was in Open Beta almost 9 years ago now.

When we first heard about AA5 we were told that the expected development time was 3 years. We're almost 3.5 years removed from that now and haven't heard a word about any new versions beyond the planning and maybe very early development stage. I'm surprised that AAPG even got a patch recently.

Honestly, at this point unless the Army were really looking to dump huge chunks of cash into the game, then it's a waste of time to develop a public facing game. It's not so easy for more indie games to break it into the mainstream unlike back when the original AA came out. So what's the point of an AA5 if it's going to just be one of many niche indie games? If anything, the Army would be better off contracting the game out to a 3rd party developer who can profit off of the game and consistently pump money into it if it's successful.
  • FrancusMaximusFrancusMaximus Posts: 46Player
    My point is that it hasn't been 9 years since they released new versions of the game ... its been 9 years since they release the game to the public
    edited January 10
    My point is that it hasn't been 9 years since they released new versions of the game ... its been 9 years since they release the game to the public

It's no secret that there are internal builds of these types of games. They've talked about them for years. However, they're designed for training real soldiers. I wouldn't be surprised if at this point they're using more and more VR-based simulators as well. That's still much different than a team based multiplayer public shooter. That still would require a whole different set of code, assets, etc. I honestly think that side is dead.

The modern landscape for FPS leans either towards full blown competitive shooters (see: CS, R6, Valorant, etc.), Battle Royale, or full blown simulators (see: Arma, Squad). The full blown simulator side of things is a much smaller group of players than the first two. AA games always fell kind of in between and that worked great back in the early 2000s, but in 2022 those types of games don't work anymore. I've seen so many of those tweener shooters come and go, they just aren't popular anymore.

Would an America's Army game have what it takes to hang with the big competitive shooters? No way. There are just not enough development resources to do it. Many people pushed for AA to be a competitive shooter with AAPG, but the Devs never wanted to go all in. If they did, they could have maybe been able to fill in that spot that Rainbow 6 currently occupies with a more tactical competitive shooter. Ah well.

Would it have what it takes to fit in that niche of simulators? Maybe if they'd do it right, but what could they possibly offer that those others don't already?

The only other option would be a VR game. I know Pavlov is pretty popular, but that market is not hugely saturated yet. So a VR Army simulator with Quest 2 as a huge push point (since it's the most mainstream headset) could be the only way this series could possibly go in the current market. Otherwise, sorry to say, but a public facing America's Army game is dead. We're almost 20 years from the release of the original America's Army. The series hasn't had much popularity since George W Bush was president. Honestly, it's over. AAPG was probably their last shot at it.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    Whatever happened to "Coming soon?"
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    As silly as it sounds, if EA can drop a deuce like they did, anything is possible for Redstone. It just takes great ideas and excellent execution. 5 people developed Valheim and it's a huge hit. I know Valheim isn't a shooter. It's just a reference for a small team making a popular and successful game.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    edited January 17
    As silly as it sounds, if EA can drop a deuce like they did, anything is possible for Redstone. It just takes great ideas and excellent execution. 5 people developed Valheim and it's a huge hit. I know Valheim isn't a shooter. It's just a reference for a small team making a popular and successful game.

Maybe, but online shooters have been done to death over the past 25ish years. So many different ideas have been executed to differing degrees of success. We're now at a point where the scene has become so hard to break into. Things are much different than they were in the early 00s.