AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 74Beta Tester
    What AA series maps would you guys like to see in AA5, If any? List your top 3.

Mine would be:
    1. Any map
    2. Any map
    3. Any map

Bear in mind that the franchise was successful NOT because of particular maps, but rather the game play itself. AAO/AA2 gameplay was completely different to AA3, which is different to AAPG.

One of the great things of AA2 was the REQUIRED traning, which IMO was a great advertising tool and resulted in players coming in with a better understanding of the mission and their role in the mission. I like the medic class and individual roles that were earned, not bestowed.

I think that the fact that cheaters can just create another account and "run and gun" again doesn't do the community a service, so training in my mind should be required to at least slow them down... (note: not eliminate).

Lastly, patience is a virtue and IMHO the new generation of gamers don't have it. A balance needs to be thought out where you don't have to run and gun in 4 minutes, but can set time limits based on map size. For the impatient ones, the best thing would be to introduce a comptetion mode, as clans are desperate for something to build their community and bonds of "online friendship".

OTOH

If you'd like some of the more unusual ones that I think would work great for both AAPG (now that we have RPG's) and AAV, then a good mix is required. Something that has the elements required to engage people and with distinct environments (day/night, jungle/desert, indoor/outdoor etc...)

While I understand and respect the fact that traditional Hospital and Pipeline made the franchise really grow, I think it's time to cut that cord... there was a night version of Hospital, which played very differently to the classic, so I've included it here.

16v16 - Let's bring it back... BIG maps :awesome:
    • EandE - (Escape and Evade - the AA2 training map that should make a good outdoor map)
    • Hospital NE (some may not remember the AA2 UMM - VIP extract at night)
    • Snake Plain (AA2 Coop - if vechicles ever come back or a smaller version if they don't)
    • Radio Tower (AA2)

FLO w/RPG (it's an outdoor thing)...
    • Oasis (AA2)
    • Recon (AA2)
    • Radio Tower (AA2)
    • Airfield (AA3)

FLO w/o RPG
    • Interdiction (AA2 Coop)
    • Impact (AA3)
    • Blizzard (AA2)

BDX w/RPG
    • None (as in... N.O.N.E.)

BDX w/o RPG
    • Rummage (AA2)
    • Leavenworth (All versions... Turn it into a CQC map)
    • SF_Petrol (old AA2 UMM that is now a mAAp on 25Assist, MP_Petrol)

Again, just my opinion, feel free to not agree and/or comment.
    OIC!
    --

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • -R@MPAGE--R@MPAGE- Posts: 150Player
    OICURMT! wrote: »

Mine would be:
    1. Any map
    2. Any map
    3. Any map

Bear in mind that the franchise was successful NOT because of particular maps, but rather the game play itself. AAO/AA2 gameplay was completely different to AA3, which is different to AAPG.

One of the great things of AA2 was the REQUIRED traning, which IMO was a great advertising tool and resulted in players coming in with a better understanding of the mission and their role in the mission. I like the medic class and individual roles that were earned, not bestowed.

I think that the fact that cheaters can just create another account and "run and gun" again doesn't do the community a service, so training in my mind should be required to at least slow them down... (note: not eliminate).

Lastly, patience is a virtue and IMHO the new generation of gamers don't have it. A balance needs to be thought out where you don't have to run and gun in 4 minutes, but can set time limits based on map size. For the impatient ones, the best thing would be to introduce a comptetion mode, as clans are desperate for something to build their community and bonds of "online friendship".

OTOH

If you'd like some of the more unusual ones that I think would work great for both AAPG (now that we have RPG's) and AAV, then a good mix is required. Something that has the elements required to engage people and with distinct environments (day/night, jungle/desert, indoor/outdoor etc...)

While I understand and respect the fact that traditional Hospital and Pipeline made the franchise really grow, I think it's time to cut that cord... there was a night version of Hospital, which played very differently to the classic, so I've included it here.

• EandE - (Escape and Evade - the AA2 training map that should make a good outdoor map)
    • Snake Plain (AA2 Coop - if vechicles ever come back or a smaller version if they don't)
    • Radio Tower (AA2)

• Oasis (AA2)
    • Recon (AA2)
    • Radio Tower (AA2)
    • Airfield (AA3)

FLO w/o RPG
    • Impact (AA3)
    • Blizzard (AA2)

BDX w/RPG

BDX w/o RPG
    • Rummage (AA2)

OIC!

Well written and 99% agree. I disagree with the lack of pipeline. I don’t see why it would hurt to have that in aa5.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 573Player
    I personally didn't find the training fun or useful. In fact, I hated it. What it was though, was a way to filter our the newbs from SF, Sniper and Medic classes. Gave people an incentive to take the training.
  • nL^Z0naGaming_nL^Z0naGaming_ Posts: 659Player
    doogle! wrote: »
    I personally didn't find the training fun or useful. In fact, I hated it. What it was though, was a way to filter our the newbs from SF, Sniper and Medic classes. Gave people an incentive to take the training.

Yes! I meet my equal!!..

However I didn't really hate the training itself, I found it fun to do the training specially Medical training. I do hope in AA5 to see some return of a system like that, but a little with a twist to make the ranks stand for something other then just a number.

For example, first 25 honor levels is played as a Rifleman with M4, at honor 25 you can do training to become Advanced Rifleman class to unlock the M16 and Remington 870. Honor 50 you unlock training for Automatic Rifleman class and unlock the M249. Honor 75 you unlock training for Marksman class and unlock the M16/M14. Honor 100 you unlock Sniper class and unlock the M24/M14.

That way we will have a good reason to level our honor levels, and it's not just a number.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 578Player
    Honor 100 you unlock Sniper class and unlock the M24/M14.

So i could play the sniperclass after 3-4 years ingame ? What's with people new to this game and familiar with fps and playing sniper... level up or go home, buddy.

Not a friend of these restrictions.

AAPG is good!
    Flatlander wrote: »
    Honor 100 you unlock Sniper class and unlock the M24/M14.

So i could play the sniperclass after 3-4 years ingame ? What's with people new to this game and familiar with fps and playing sniper... level up or go home, buddy.

Not a friend of these restrictions.

That's why I said, "For Example". Right now levels mean nothing, it's just a number in front our names. And we really could use a change in that department.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 578Player
    Open up a new gamemode that you only can play after honor x is a thing i would like.
    AAPG is good!
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 164Player
    The problem with segregation is it kills the player base while disencouraging potential new players.
    A weapon/class/position penalty (limitation) is far better idea just like AA2 did.
    35d2uec.png
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 573Player
    The problem with segregation is it kills the player base while disencouraging potential new players.
    A weapon/class/position penalty (limitation) is far better idea just like AA2 did.

Remember that AA2 also had special servers for low honor. It worked well there because of the large playerbase. But for AAPG and AA5, I tend to agree w/ you.
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 344Developer
    For now please fix the login on AAPG =)

What's wrong with it?
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 344Developer
    -R@MPAGE- wrote: »

Mine would be:
    1. Any map
    2. Any map
    3. Any map

OTOH

• Radio Tower (AA2)

• Oasis (AA2)
    • Recon (AA2)
    • Radio Tower (AA2)
    • Airfield (AA3)

FLO w/o RPG
    • Impact (AA3)
    • Blizzard (AA2)

BDX w/RPG

BDX w/o RPG
    • Rummage (AA2)

OIC!

Well written and 99% agree. I disagree with the lack of pipeline. I don’t see why it would hurt to have that in aa5.

Good point wrt cheaters starting fresh accounts because there's no required training, also wrt keeping noobs out of the specialty classes.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,932Player
    edited August 18
    When it comes to training, it's easiest to allow people to use a basic loadout without doing the training and then anything beyond that requiring training. Although, i think the basic training is easy enough to enforce even if it's just a shooting range, obstacle course, and a shoot house to teach you the basics and controls.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,362Player
    For now please fix the login on AAPG =)

What's wrong with it?

It never saves you have to login every time also it stops friends joining through steam.
    https://forum.americasarmy.com/discussion/7643/joining-through-steam#latest
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 74Beta Tester
    doogle! wrote: »

A few may be to young to remember...

https://news.americasarmy.com/americas-army-medic-training-helps-save-a-life/
    --

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 571Player
    -R@MPAGE- wrote: »

• Oasis (AA2)
    • Recon (AA2)
    • Radio Tower (AA2)
    • Airfield (AA3)

OICURMT!
    Radio Tower, played competitively, was essentially a CQB map. The proper way to play it was a B camp. Maybe try to get a pick on an assaulter who thinks they've got a free run to A or C, but generally a good B camp was unbeatable. This is in line with what an earlier poster, I forget who, said about AA2 maps being largely one-sided with the team on defense winning 14/15 rounds.

-R@MPAGE-
    Agreed on Pipeline. I happen to think that was the best map from AA2. I had ~2/3 of my hours on it. It had a little bit of everything. Decent range outdoor engagements, lots of CQB engagements and the objective options (Main CP or all three valves) were all part of what made the map great, in my opinion. This map also showcased the greatness of the fire team system. As more players joined, the second squad opened up on defense, allowing them to start on the first floor of main pump room and get to certain defensive positions faster. When squad three opened up, defense also started in north pump room. The map was able to scale well and still be reasonably balanced. It was also another opportunity to strategize, possibly by switching up spawn positions from round to round to keep the other team off-balance.

I'd love to see it remade in a new AA, but it would have to have to proper weaponry to work. Not having a grenade launcher significantly impacts the game play.
  • Goose_FewGoose_Few Posts: 8Beta Tester

Mine would be:
    1. CSAR
    2. Dusk
    3. Village

No particular order:

-Border
    -Dusk
    -Alley
    -Interdiction
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 164Player
    Something needs to be done about the elephant in the room no one wants to talk about; Anti Cheat.
    Punkbuster is clearly in sunset mode right now. It's no longer being actively developed. I can't even remember the last feature released or ban wave that occured. Punkbuster is garbage.
    AAPG servers are now full of Cheaters and Macro users that ruin the game for everyone else with no repercussions.
    Maybe AA Devs should investigate something like www.easy.ac for AA5? They seem to talk a good game www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI7V60r7Jco
    35d2uec.png
  • [soldier][soldier] Posts: 67Player
    PunkBuster detections are actively being developed, they have released 30 new violation codes just this year (although only a few are specifically for AA). Each violation typically covers multiple cheats.

PunkBuster also offers screenshots, violations logging, and the ability to perform MD5 and CVAR checks which continue to work long after a game is no longer actively supported. An entire anti-cheat community has been built upon these extensible features. Using PunkBuster, ACI has also been able to offer extra services like Clan Tag registration, screenshot archiving and analysis, ban list sharing, player background checks, and more. All of the other anti-cheat solutions I have seen are black boxes, you could not offer any of those services with them.

Anyone who thinks there is a magic key to anti-cheat is deluding themselves. Just ask BattleField players how effective FairFight really is (hint, it's not). With a block box solution the community has no way of knowing who gets banned or why. It's bad enough already that this is a free game and some malcontents make literally dozens of accounts in a week's time. At least with PunkBuster we have the means to figure out who they are most of the time.
    edited August 19
    Something needs to be done about the elephant in the room no one wants to talk about; Anti Cheat.
    Punkbuster is clearly in sunset mode right now. It's no longer being actively developed. I can't even remember the last feature released or ban wave that occured. Punkbuster is garbage.
    AAPG servers are now full of Cheaters and Macro users that ruin the game for everyone else with no repercussions.
    Maybe AA Devs should investigate something like www.easy.ac for AA5? They seem to talk a good game www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI7V60r7Jco

I'm still amazed how people think one anti cheat is better then the other, funny enough we talked about this on steam this week. So, ill copy paste what I said there.

Every anti cheat works the same, it takes time to notice the hack. Sometimes it can take months, specially if the user is running a private cheat. So if that makes PunkBuster bad in your eyes, then all of the anti cheat software should be bad.

The benefit with PunkBuster is that it give us the ability to use streaming on top of the anti cheat itself like PBBans, which makes it much faster in catching cheating players.

EAC made to many mistakes in my eyes, by banning people using perfectly legal macro's that in some cases were not even used in the game they got banned for it. And banned people for, NO JOKE, having a too good score. So that's a No-No for me.

BattleEye is known for sending files from your hard drive to their master server if they deemed it suspicious, even with out triggering a red flag. As a example "mmm, i never heard of fraps.exe, lets check it out.. bzzz downloading from your pc". They will also access files outside the game itself, so let's say we would have it on AAPG, and it can't find anything in the game folders they will also go true your video folder, music folders, personal folders like where you save your bank records or any other sensitive information like usernames and passwords. So BattleEye is definitely a giant fat NO, unless you like your privacy rights being violated.

Also not to forget that you can do more with PB then with any other anti-cheat aside from streaming them, if you know how to work with PB I can tell you using MD5Tool scans and Cvar scans it's a really powerful tool..
  • [soldier][soldier] Posts: 67Player
    BattleEye is known for sending files from your hard drive to their master server if they deemed it suspicious, even with out triggering a red flag. As a example "mmm, i never heard of fraps.exe, lets check it out.. bzzz downloading from your pc". They will also access files outside the game itself, so let's say we would have it on AAPG, and it can't find anything in the game folders they will also go true your video folder, music folders, personal folders like where you save your bank records or any other sensitive information like usernames and passwords. So BattleEye is definitely a giant fat NO, unless you like your privacy rights being violated.

I had no idea BattleEye was doing that. That's disturbing.

For those following along, PunkBuster will only examine files in your game directory and can only check if a file exists and calculate a hash.