AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• i agree with most, i have three sons and i know what they play and it is not aa2 nor aapg and they are 16-22 years old.
    something needs to be done, new, more modern, for young people but to remain aa2 basically :))
    i always hated running players in aapg(as if they were retarded:))in old aa2 they run normally!!
    one of the things in the new aa5 when it comes out would be nice to see normal running.
    I hope that if the administrators aa consider all suggestions from players and do a better aa !!

bok
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 580Beta Tester
    "SF wrote:
    [-General_alkos;67848"]i always hated running players in aapg(as if they were retarded:))in old aa2 they run normally!!
    one of the things in the new aa5 when it comes out would be nice to see normal running.

What do you mean under "normal running"? The speed? The animated movement of a character? Or what? Just curious...
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • I thought when you run that do not run from the hips to the left, the right, than running like in real life.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,146Player
    edited December 2019
    AAPG feels like you're moving in quicksand. That's how I'd describe it. It's funny too the movement speeds actually aren't terrible, but they still feel awful.

I timed the movement speeds.

100 meter sprint/run in 20 seconds = 5 m/s = 11.2 mph
    100 meter walk in 32 seconds = 3.125 m/s = 7.0 mph

So your sprint is really a run. A soldier should be able to sprint faster than 11 mph.
    However, your standard walking speed is at a pace of jog really. Most people walk at around 3 mph or less. Even if you were to say that soldiers would be moving more quickly, it'd probably be more around 4 mph or so, not 7.

Yet both feel slow. Maybe video games just need to feel faster, maybe it's the animations, maybe it's the scale of the map? I don't know, but the game just feels sluggish. If you come from any other game and hop onto AAPG the first thing that really stands out is how slow it feels and not in a game pace kind of way, but in a my player feels unresponsive type of way.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • T.AshbyT.Ashby Posts: 21Player
    I think that is extremely subjective and I for one have never really felt that way, regardless of what else I've been playing.
  • [DFekt].L.D.50[DFekt].L.D.50 Posts: 24Player
    "SF wrote:
    [-General_alkos;67843"]Bok!
    old players from aa2 have the right to say something!
    i still have server on aa2 (Grandma was slow but she was old!)
    aa2 is slowly shutting down and I'll probably shut down the server.
    give us aa5 but with less options for hard campers!!!

Most of us here are old AA2 players and sure, our input can be worthwhile, but if AA5 wants to be successful, it has to appeal to teen and 20s players more than us old farts. I still think that AA2 is a good template, but AA5 needs to bring AA2 into the 2020s... meaning it needs to be modernized and fit the styles of gameplay that are more relevant in the current market. I'd personally love a game that plays like AA2, but is more competition oriented.

Competition is where long-term relevancy is. Any game that doesn't push for competition and do it well will die in months. That's not to say that casual/public matches aren't important, sure is... most players play casual, however, when you're talking about players who will be champions for your game, help it grow, spread word of mouth, etc. it usually comes from people who are deep into the competitive side.

Facts. He's not wrong.
    RpylfC7.gif
    Owner/Leader - DFekt Gaming
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    Just an idea....
    Bring back paid HONOR Server License for AA5 in the form of $5 or $10/month STEAM Microtransaction. (https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/microtransactions/recurring_billing)
    In turn use that $5 or $10/month revenue each month to pay for US Army Official game servers around the world, mainly in developing countries to bring in untapped global player base.
    Depending on how well you optimise AA5 and release a Linux Dedicated Server client im sure a VPS would suffice.
    1.jpg
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 706Player
    The game needs a built in competitive system.

Oh, and Pipeline.
  • -e^1-bumblebee^-e^1-bumblebee^ Posts: 27Player
    edited January 12
    Are developers really working on the next part of the game?
    Are developers really working on the next part of the game?

They said so multiple times. So I'm sure they do. But it takes time to lay the foundations of a game.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    But it takes time to lay the foundations of a game.

Naaaa, Unreal Engine 4 point and click tools allow any numpty to make a game with a youtube tutorial!
    UE4 is the new Unity for shovelware games....
    So UE4 should be a walk in the park for any competent developer, maybe even the AA Devs?
    1.jpg
  • -[U|S|A]-Gorilla-[U|S|A]-Gorilla Posts: 756Administrator
    edited January 13
    The AGS Devs do not only have this game to focus on. However it is all about the client. I do agree however that there are a lot of assets with UE. However the downside is that using the assets means that they are not ours. So we would have to redesign them anyway. I would know because I work with another studio and we use UE4. As usual though there are things that I would like to do but the paying and lead Dev is the one that is in charge. Although he knows and respects my ideas, they are just not his.

Besides, only a competent developer would know that you can't use point and click and assets and expect to have a top rate game that makes everyone happy.
    edited January 13
    But it takes time to lay the foundations of a game.

Naaaa, Unreal Engine 4 point and click tools allow any numpty to make a game with a youtube tutorial!
    UE4 is the new Unity for shovelware games....
    So UE4 should be a walk in the park for any competent developer, maybe even the AA Devs?

Yeah, you can make *a* game with UE4's in-built tools. Question is: do you want to play an AA game made with UE4's in-built tools?

I mean, if it is so simple, I could make something, call it a 'game', and who would want to play it? No one. If it was possible to create a good game in any engine without massive effort, we would be drowning in amazing games developed by 3 people under 3 months. But... we don't.

UE4 won't make you custom assets, won't create a game concept, won't create you custom game mechanics, and will never replace creativity etc. Don't get me wrong, UE4 is a great engine, but to get a good game, you need a lot more than just the point and click tools. You need a lot more even for a mediocre game.

Edit: when I said "foundations" in my previous post, I didn't mean the "press W to go forward" level. UE4 takes care of that. I meant the fundamental design and concept of the game.
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 138Beta Tester
    Besides, only a competent developer would know that you can't use point and click and assets and expect to have a top rate game that makes everyone happy.

QFT!

--

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 357Player
    You guys discussing engines and I just want pipeline ;)
    Oh well.
  • -[U|S|A]-Gorilla-[U|S|A]-Gorilla Posts: 756Administrator
    `xinoN wrote: »
    You guys discussing engines and I just want pipeline ;)

Me too.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 706Player
    Wish they'd at least give a hint of life happening in Huntsville.
  • V_NillaJV_NillaJ Posts: 85Developer
    doogle! wrote: »

The weather is bipolar, the economy is booming, and parking stinks if you show up late.
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 298Player
    edited January 16
    V_NillaJ wrote: »
    doogle! wrote: »

The weather is bipolar, the economy is booming, and parking stinks if you show up late.

This is the info I need. Also, what is the doughnut policy there? Is there a handbook or job aid for when doughnuts are required, quantity and freshness?

Edit: I'd this sounds like sarcasm, I promise it's not. Genuinely curious
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,146Player
    edited January 18
    To be fair, the Army has been working with UE4 for years. We have seen previous work involving UE4 from the Army developers. There was a video that was posted here that looked really good. I can't find it at the moment, but I remember they said that it was some internal project. So it wouldn't be far fetched to believe that they can reuse a lot of the same work.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!