AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 189Player
    It's refreshing to see Beta Testers come out of the ivory towers treading water worrying they might lose their special forum access and ingame icon as to what fate AA5 has...
    When was the last beta test update? Like 5 months ago...
    Good to see you guys around... Shame you are not around more often in the real world relaying the public opinions...
    35d2uec.png
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 549Beta Tester
    It's refreshing to see Beta Testers come out of the ivory towers treading water worrying they might lose their special forum access and ingame icon as to what fate AA5 has...
    When was the last beta test update? Like 5 months ago...
    Good to see you guys around... Shame you are not around more often in the real world relaying the public opinions...

We are not in ivory towers. I usually don't post in these kind of topics, because I don't think it would matter much. And I have to be careful, because NDA and such...

I'm aware, that AAPG is not perfect. I have to be, this is why I'm a tester. I would dare to say that I'm more aware than most people posting here, especially when it comes to facts or technical things. But when I discover an issue, I make a bug report instead of making a "Why dis not fixczed??!!! Trash game, stupid Devs" post on the public forums. Trust me, I'm well capable of pointing out flaws, but this is not the platform for me to do so. And I know for a fact, that other Betas act similarly.

It is quite irritating, when people trash the game or the people making it purely based on opinions. Sure, feedback is welcome, but some people really cross lines and blame people without having the slightest of clues about anything. Or, I assume, ever making a proper bug report. Some Betas won't stay quiet at these point. After all, we are passionate for the game, otherwise we would not do the work we do for free.

I think humility is extremely important, when it comes to giving feedback. The "I'm an experienced comp gamer, listen to me or the game will fail" type of post will always leave a sour taste in the readers mouth. Even if the points in this posts are valid. When it comes to game design, we communicate (fact based) opinions, not facts. Sure, some opinions are more formed/built/based on more experience, which makes them more valuable. But they are not the "one viewpoint to rule them all". I don't know it all, you don't know it all, none of us do.

But, of course, this is just my view on things, anyone is free to disagree.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,054Player
    Whatever the next AA title brings i really do hope it comes with an editor for umm creation .
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 445Player
    Whatever the next AA title brings i really do hope it comes with an editor for umm creation .

With what I've seen people being able to do with those tools, it is the most beneficial thing to come from AAPG in my opinion.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,121Player
    edited September 11
    Absolutely. The editor breathed some life into this game. May not have done a ton considering where the game was from the start, and the implementation wasn't the best, but custom maps are the only reason I've played this game more recently than 3 years ago. I certainly hope that AA5 would have editor support that's better integrated and supported. Sadly, AAPG's map editor was a nightmare to manage maps at a server and client level. Even if it's not a Day 1 feature, I hope it's something that's on the radar somewhere.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 269Player
    I have been known to be vocal in my feedback in the past, even been temp banned on the various forum builds throughout the years (original, phpbb and now the vanilla version). Most of the arguments were features/changes/releases that did not make any sense whatsoever. o:)

And I'm sorry but aa3 was terrible (in my opinion)...again not the devs but the version release. Riddled with bugs and just overall not what the playerbase wanted to play or support at the time.

And whiplash is spot on when he says that if your gonna make a game : you better have players that want to play it or your just wasting your time. I've played this game for a very long time and loved aa2 so much I would call off work just so I could continue playing sf hospital marathons because I was that hooked on the game. But when aa3 came out player #'s dropped....when aapg came out player #'s dropped. But I guess the moral is:

We are all different and we are all passionate about various ideas & opinions. That doesn't mean your right and I'm wrong; it just means we differ.
    AA2 veteran player / fanboy
  • ~Oc~NJS~Oc~NJS Posts: 3Player
    edited September 13
    I very much enjoyed AA3 because it was so different to anything else out there at the time, unfortunately it didn't attract the largest crowd. The AA series has always been a recruiting tool first and foremost. A long standing player base is good, but the main goal is to attract young players around high school age, motivate them to join the Army and then likely not play anymore. It isn't meant for the older player with an established career and family who wouldn't enlist or commission even with a sign-on bonus.

To that end, they need to stay current as to what the target age bracket enjoys, but unique enough that players don't feel like they are playing a carbon-copy of the flavor of the year. I speculate the Army obviously still sees it worth the cost to maintain servers and updates and whether AA5 will be a low cost byproduct of official Army training software, or a stand alone project will depend largely on how influential AA series is to getting kids to sign a contract.

The best feedback you could provide for AA5 are suggestions, not for the extreme veteran players, but to what FPS games your kids are playing and how an AA title could benefit from aspects of those games.
    edited September 13
    I'd like to have seen what AA3 would have been like if it didn't contain the same "coming soon" marks that it had when it was released. Many were turned away because it was unplayable. Let's be honest, even when it was playable it was still sort of unplayable. They never squashed enough bugs for the game to have a chance. I enjoyed it as well NJS. It was different and different is marked as bad in this case because of how poorly it was presented to the community.

People are like "AA3 was soo terrible". The thing is, it never even got to present what it was supposed to be. It was riddled with turmoil from day 1 to close. It was more sim and less gamy, but not as sim as Arma. It had potential. It was extremely interesting.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,186Player
    edited September 13
    I've been a fan, I've been a critic, been here for years and been on the exact same ride as most here, we've all seen how AA has operated in regards to the public in the past, we rarely get anything.. we've had the silence and we've had the surprises (AAPG was sorta one I guess) however this time around it all feels different to me.

There is like what? one active dev, no community managers, or if there are.. they have been radio silent for years.. the forums are as good as dead, the AA game(s) is/are dead and stagnant and have been for a long time, clinging onto an existing playerbase like a stubborn S.T.D.. wheres the news on AA5?

oh that's right, AA gives nothing away and never really has. Infact the only light I see on the possibility of a next version, is the activity of beta testers.. but then that's not even enough to make joe public get all moist about the future of AA.

Unless I've missed something? if so, please do point me in the right direction of something solid, to whet my AA related whistle. If not, welcome to my club, where you can only hope, speculate and in typical AA fashion......................

Wait...................

because.........................

it's.................

"Coming Soon".
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• doogle!doogle! Posts: 676Player
    Uni-Sol...spot on baby.
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,438Player
    If they are working on AA5 or even a big update for AAPG why not create some hype around it why keep silent this silence is killing the game and the community clans are moving on to other games some clans are giving up all together its a shame what is going on AA series has built a great community over the years but its dying and that's because we see no hope for the future.
    Come on Dev's give us something to keep going for or your going to lose a great community if you are working on AA5.
    I am sure if you are putting the hard work in to AA5 you will want a big player base so it does not fail like AA3/AAPG. My advice for what it worth after being here for around 19 years is get advertising now release some teasers keep us interested get the message out there to get other none AA players interested build some interest well before the release.
    gKQ6BB2.png
    Looking at some of the stuff SAIC is posting, I'm not even sure they have a full team for the game yet. That or they are short and not working with everything in place. I see something about destructive environments in the skill requests though.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    For all we know AA5 is still in the earliest of stages. It's hard to really know. It would be nice to get some info, but we know how the army works. As a note on the age thing. I think an AA game can appeal to all ages. Sure the recruitment aspect targets 14-18 year olds, but don't forget that the game is also designed to educate people about the army. Having those 14-18 year olds' parents learn about the Army is also part of that recruitment strategy.
  • V_NillaJV_NillaJ Posts: 61Developer
    Well this got a bit off topic...
    If they are working on AA5 or even a big update for AAPG why not create some hype around it why keep silent this silence is killing the game and the community clans are moving on to other games some clans are giving up all together its a shame what is going on AA series has built a great community over the years but its dying and that's because we see no hope for the future.
    Come on Dev's give us something to keep going for or your going to lose a great community if you are working on AA5.
    I am sure if you are putting the hard work in to AA5 you will want a big player base so it does not fail like AA3/AAPG. My advice for what it worth after being here for around 19 years is get advertising now release some teasers keep us interested get the message out there to get other none AA players interested build some interest well before the release.

I would LOVE to. However, comma, my lips are sealed by proxy. As soon as I'm able to share the intel, you guys are going to get it, scout's honor!
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,438Player
    Thanks V_NillaJ =)
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • -]H[-Feertti-]H[-Feertti Posts: 5Player
    america's army game. It's not that we don't care; it's that we don't really have the resources to play all of them. As the game continues to evolve, we hope to have an improved tournament system, as well as to expand on the story and add more depth to the game. Our aim is to make the game even better than it is right now.

So, will all the rules be in by October 20th?

Yes. We're already making lots of changes and fixing bugs. We've got the game all set up so players will only need to read the rules once. Once that's done we will take all the game's files to our web server and host them permanently.

Why the rush, I've only seen a few of the rulebooks?

We want the rulebooks to tell the story of the game, rather than just be a bunch of rules and information about how things work. We also need the cards to be as visually appealing as possible. We've got a lot of really, really busy and hard working people.

OpenAI tell us more :) https://talktotransformer.com/
    V_NillaJ wrote: »

I would LOVE to. However, comma, my lips are sealed by proxy. As soon as I'm able to share the intel, you guys are going to get it, scout's honor!

Could we at least get an idea of when we may start hearing a little?
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,054Player
    This is on a need to know basis . And us ( the public ) dont need to know .
    ETA ........ TBA
  • V_NillaJV_NillaJ Posts: 61Developer
    V_NillaJ wrote: »

Could we at least get an idea of when we may start hearing a little?

Haha! I can say "At some point in the near future."

With that said, "near" is relative. :pleased:
    Let's hope for an announcement in 2019.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!