AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 344Developer
    Dudash.dfl wrote: »
    I understand that everything is currently unknown but if AA5 is a console only release.....I think I'd die inside

Nah there will always be a need for PC for testing and such. PC can't be abandoned.
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,565Player
    Bringing the most popular maps of old versions is an easy way of bringing veterans back to the game.

Hopefully also their target, young persons.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 573Player
    By the time AA5 gets released, I'll be nearly retired. May have to come work for Army Game Studios. Then we wont be forced to deal with wanna be's or 1-termers being the almighty. I'll fire everyone, just hire me.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,325Beta Tester
    Remaking maps isn't optimum. Create NEW exciting maps that work...I mean really work...and fix up a few issues, and people will play it. A nod to the past here and there is fine, but there are reasons things work or don't. Find the key, and use it!!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Remaking maps isn't optimum. Create NEW exciting maps that work...I mean really work...and fix up a few issues, and people will play it. A nod to the past here and there is fine, but there are reasons things work or don't. Find the key, and use it!!

Why wouldn't Pipeline work? They never tried it. The UMMs of Pipeline play pretty well...the only problem is, UMMs suck. No one plays them outside of small communities of friends.

There are a few staples I'd bring back, to include Pipeline. Other less popular maps could get the "nod" in new maps.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,325Beta Tester
    Well, my point is not that Pipeline didn't work or wasn't fun...or any other older map. My point is, I personally am on this Holy Grail quest to discover what makes good gameplay, why, and how to apply it moving forward. To distill, as it were, the great common factors that made those or other maps fun to play. We rarely get to the bottom of "WHY?"

I have a bunch of unfinished maps that were test beds for ideas that didn't pan out as I tried to learn "The Key." I even asked comp players, and generally speaking, I found that they knew how to play, but not explain. I got accused of 'thinking too much' as if good maps are mere accidents.

Anyway, I think it's a terrible trap to have to build OLD maps to have a new game.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 578Player
    AA4, bridge is second after inner if you look at full servers. It doesn't get older than that and it seems to work.
    AAPG is good!
  • -[iG]-Leketiskis-[iG]-Leketiskis Posts: 126Player
    Hello guys,
    Nice to see some activity from Developers, plenty guys that stopped playing already informed that in 3 years they will have a shot at new game. Still playing guys will keep them informed, so community will make sure that you gave good player base at start, like it was with AA:PG, just don't [TOS Violation] it up ;)

I played AA since 2,3 so have few ideas that was used over the years and I think should return:

Unlockables - AA:PG had good idea of having unlockable skins, there should be few more of them, to have some motivation to keep one account. I'm one of few guys that never got second account. Downside is that i have nothing to unlock for last 2 years or so :D

Melee/takedowns - this was awesome change from AA2 and AA3, loved it, please consider keeping.

Trainings - Keep M4/M16 or similar guns for privates, all extra classes should require training (hard to make, but motivation to get closer to Army training), Might be place for extra advertisement, and idea that might gather extra support money wise.

Medic - AA2/AA3 mix. Everyone should be able to stop bleeding, but if guy die he could only be picked up by medic (few per team/one par squad). Medic could be only person who completed training. Reviving should take some time, so AA3 revive mechanic. Selection of treatment depending on injury would be nice to return. Only medic class players could interact with downed player. Others see that they haven't completed training.

Weapon select - Like most of the guys I liked squad, and class unlock depending by amount of player’s thing. Also it was cool, when you could get little head start at picking gun if you played well previous match. This might be disagreed, but it was cool, when guys could pick guns in a row depending on their RANK + previous match score. High rank players have gun choice, unless Private played [TOS Violation] good and then he might pick first. Liked that.
    Also this kind of weapon selection scoring could benefit since players will be motivated to play multiple matches, not just one.

VIP - If VIP will return he has to have some idea what to do, maybe sort of training would be cool.

Round planning - AA3 had lovely round planning, squad leaders could order who goes where and so on. Rarely used in public, but could be awesome in competitive or for higher rank players.

Tournament Mode - AAPG did not have normal Admin menu, AA2 admin menu must return where admin could change plenty settings from inside the game without need to leave game and control over ini files. Specially turn server into Tournament mode secured by password.

Grenades/Flashes - many guys hate me for using flashes and nades since 2003, but it's one of my favorite things, please keep it same. Grenade kill, flash take vision and sound for quite long time. Flash in AAPG actually could take audio for a little longer, everyone still shot way to accurate while blind :D Can't properly choke them...

Sound - Keep sound important to this game, haven't played other game where sound is so crucial, and it's one of my favorite thing that you can tell where the guy is next to you. All the different floors, staircases, different sound for enemy and friendly. Loved it.

AA has good base, with good control, communication like you do now (at least few times per month) and reaction to most important feedback (bugs) will be awesome. Also if it's possible, try keep everything modular from the start of coding. So that each thing would be separate and once one bug is fixed, it could be just updated with for example next week fixes, and will be no need to update everything at once. Once the code is linked at things like that not thought about from beginning, things get hardcoded and then everyone have to think how to not [TOS Violation] up something made by other programmer once making some feature or so. I work at IT myself, and having everything linked sux and make it very difficult for updates. We are working our way out of this now, and would recommend do this too, since obviously this problem is in AA:PG.

Ok I'm done for now, time to sleep. But once again thank you for this topic and replies over here. Made people believe once again. We wish to believe in AA, so we are easy to get called back in the game.
    Sorry for huge comment.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,932Player
    edited August 17
    I got accused of 'thinking too much' as if good maps are mere accidents.

It's funny, but I do think that there is some truth to it. How many maps have been put out by professional mappers that end up being hated or even people just being indifferent to them? There are so many maps from game to game and yet typically every game has only a few at best that catch on and become classics. I will say that the original mappers for America's Army did such a great job that they had more than just a few that turned out to be classics, but even there, I'm not sure all of them would hold up by modern standards. Also as I said in a prior post, while a lot of them were really fun to play in pubs, they turned into one sided affairs in a competitive match.

You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    doogle! wrote: »
    By the time AA5 gets released, I'll be nearly retired. May have to come work for Army Game Studios. Then we wont be forced to deal with wanna be's or 1-termers being the almighty. I'll fire everyone, just hire me.

Yeah send me a resume!

Why wouldn't Pipeline work? They never tried it. The UMMs of Pipeline play pretty well...the only problem is, UMMs suck. No one plays them outside of small communities of friends.

There are a few staples I'd bring back, to include Pipeline. Other less popular maps could get the "nod" in new maps.

I asked about it specifically and was told it was framerate on PS4. I'm sure a new game would handle it in UE4.
  • -[iG]-Leketiskis-[iG]-Leketiskis Posts: 126Player

I asked about it specifically and was told it was framerate on PS4. I'm sure a new game would handle it in UE4.

Lol the question that was asked million of time was answered :D (I was not bigest fan of the map, but i played it like any other) But it was fun that all this time question seemed to be just ignored :) I know will be plenty comments that it could be optimised, but for me even current answer sound good enough :)
    I believe the answer given was that according to America's Army comic canon the facility was blown up in America's Army 3. Therefore, Pipeline could never exist in AAPG.
  • MaclobsterMaclobster Posts: 212Beta Tester
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    I believe the answer given was that according to America's Army comic canon the facility was blown up in America's Army 3. Therefore, Pipeline could never exist in AAPG.

sssst , that must be the wrong Pipeline :awesome:
    (\/) (',,') (\/)
    Pipeline
    HonorTown
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,163Player
    I wouldn't worry about the past.. maybe we can forget that? New game = a new or even no story? I thought the comic series was OK, a good idea to tie into the game(s). They don't have to necessarily go down that same path, surely.

I'd be happy to see an AA5 be a completely new experience that either forgets the past and goes it alone, or rather take what was great about the past titles and use them to good effect. Do I want an AA2 clone just because that game was popular? because people in their late 30's remeber it being the best game they ever played (aka hardcore fans).. [TOS Violation] no. I can't help but think an AA2 even with fancy schmancy graphics wouldn't be very good nowadays, maybe it was good back then because it was released around a time when good FPS titles on the whole, were few and far between.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but I really do imagine its gonna be really hard to get them kinds of glory days and player numbers back, no matter what. Well, that is unless you guys pull off a worldy.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

Maclobster wrote: »
    Whiplash27 wrote: »

sssst , that must be the wrong Pipeline :awesome:

Yeah those kinds of factories are uh everywhere. Yeah that's it
    I wouldn't worry about the past.. maybe we can forget that? New game = a new or even no story? I thought the comic series was OK, a good idea to tie into the game(s). They don't have to necessarily go down that same path, surely.

I'd be happy to see an AA5 be a completely new experience that either forgets the past and goes it alone, or rather take what was great about the past titles and use them to good effect. Do I want an AA2 clone just because that game was popular? because people in their late 30's remeber it being the best game they ever played (aka hardcore fans).. [TOS Violation] no. I can't help but think an AA2 even with fancy schmancy graphics wouldn't be very good nowadays, maybe it was good back then because it was released around a time when good FPS titles on the whole, were few and far between.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but I really do imagine its gonna be really hard to get them kinds of glory days and player numbers back, no matter what. Well, that is unless you guys pull off a worldy.

The comic book series existed to provide a backstory, context, get us on another young-eyeball medium, and most importantly tell the story of Army jobs that wouldn't translate to a first person shooter -- combat medic (though that could work in a game frankly), quartermaster, lawyer, whatever.

The comics are still available on the Comixology app and maybe somewhere else too? I think?
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,362Player
    For now please fix the login on AAPG =)
    edited August 18
    I can't help but think an AA2 even with fancy schmancy graphics wouldn't be very good nowadays

I don't disagree, although I think you could easily do it and at least get some sort of steady player base. I know I'd play it and i'm sure a bunch of 25+ year old men would play it, which any game that has a steady player base would at least get others to give it a try. Although, old men isn't exactly the target demographic. However, really successful? I'm not quite sure.

I still think you can't go and try something completely different again and think it'll work. Using AA2 as a base template is how I would go about it. You take AA2, try to figure out ways to make it more unique and different compared to the other games in the market, make it more up-to-date based on modern FPS standards, try to make it streaming and competitive friendly, and go from there. Obviously not an easy task. Hopefully there are some bright minds in the Army Game Studio who can figure out the right mixture of things to make a great game.
    Barracks lawyer and desert queen, new classes in AA5?