AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,932Player
    edited August 16
    Hollywood, please make AA great again. AA:PG was my first game of the series. I don't want it to be the last, and I want the amazingness of beta back - but better.

What was so much better about the beta? How was it different?

Most of it was the sound. You could hear everything, and it was consistent. I understand CS has shift walking that makes you silent, but it's consistent. Since full release, it's been horribly inconsistent and you can't rely on it. I don't have amazing headphones, but they're good and work for me in every other game. I could hear everything with $10 headphones in beta.

Definitely in agreement with most of the suggestions in this thread. Catering to comp is a good idea, and if done in a balanced fashion makes it great for both that and casual play. CS:GO excels at this.

I remember this was the time of the transition from the standard Microsoft sound engine to Wwise. Everyone expected a huge upgrade in sound, but it never seemed to materialize or at least not how people expected. I think people had other gripes with the change over from beta to v1.0, but I can't remember all of them. I remember during the preview build of v1.0, there were lots of people who hated the changes and said they would stop playing when the beta version was no longer available.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 496Player
    edited August 16
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    Hollywood, please make AA great again. AA:PG was my first game of the series. I don't want it to be the last, and I want the amazingness of beta back - but better.

What was so much better about the beta? How was it different?

Most of it was the sound. You could hear everything, and it was consistent. I understand CS has shift walking that makes you silent, but it's consistent. Since full release, it's been horribly inconsistent and you can't rely on it. I don't have amazing headphones, but they're good and work for me in every other game. I could hear everything with $10 headphones in beta.

Definitely in agreement with most of the suggestions in this thread. Catering to comp is a good idea, and if done in a balanced fashion makes it great for both that and casual play. CS:GO excels at this.

I remember this was the time of the transition from the standard Microsoft sound engine to Wwise. Everyone expected a huge upgrade in sound, but it never seemed to materialize or at least not how people expected. I think people had other gripes with the change over from beta to v1.0, but I can't remember all of them. I remember during the preview build of v1.0, there were lots of people who hated the changes and said they would stop playing when the beta version was no longer available.

Yep. The preview build was a big letdown. It felt like nothing meaningful was changed, and the sound was downgraded.

One good example is the graphics...Was anyone complaining about the graphics? Just felt pointless.
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,113Beta Tester
    edited August 16
    What AA series maps would you guys like to see in AA5, If any? List your top 3.

Mine would be:
    1. CSAR
    2. Dusk
    3. Village
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 496Player
    1. Coldfront

2. Harbor Assault

3. Old Downtown

But as I've only played AA:PG, I'm a questionable person to ask. :awesome:
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 74Beta Tester
    I'll be crystal clear here.

The Army US Taxpayers pays for America's Army (including all its iterations) and all the other outreach products we make (GoArmy Edge, Career Navigator, Stars, et al) for only a few reasons --

Fixed ... lolz

--

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 344Developer
    OICURMT! wrote: »
    Fixed ... lolz

If you don't want a volunteer military you're welcome to ask for the draft back lol

Mine would be:
    1. CSAR
    2. Dusk
    3. Village

I've listed some of my favorites on the OP. If I had to only pick three, then I'd say McKenna, CSAR, and Pipeline. HM to Weapons Cache, Urban Assault, Insurgent Camp, and Sandstorm.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 571Player

Mine would be:
    1. CSAR
    2. Dusk
    3. Village

I've listed some of my favorites on the OP. If I had to only pick three, then I'd say McKenna, CSAR, and Pipeline. HM to Weapons Cache, Urban Assault, Insurgent Camp, and Sandstorm.

Honestly, it depends on the weapons available.

Pipeline was my favorite map, accounting for roughly 2/3 of my hours. Not having a grenade launcher significantly changes the way it plays, whether you're playing the tunnels or baiting an M203 shot in Main Pump Room.

I'd argue the lack of a grenade launcher shifts the balance of Insurgent Camp more towards the defense side., allowing them to camp the top office with little to worry about.

I do agree with your chosen maps, though. I also loved Radio Tower for competitive play.
    doogle! wrote: »
    Will all of his forum bans be removed? There are several. Most of them went above and beyond what I would consider routine forum moderation...

I went through his IP bans and deleted all of them except ones marked "spambot" because those aren't cool.
    edited August 17
    Honestly, it depends on the weapons available.

Pipeline was my favorite map, accounting for roughly 2/3 of my hours. Not having a grenade launcher significantly changes the way it plays, whether you're playing the tunnels or baiting an M203 shot in Main Pump Room.

I'd argue the lack of a grenade launcher shifts the balance of Insurgent Camp more towards the defense side., allowing them to camp the top office with little to worry about.

I do agree with your chosen maps, though. I also loved Radio Tower for competitive play.

I agree, what made those maps work in many ways was the loadout. Although Pipeline worked with both the standard and SF version, but both did have the grenade launcher.

Insurgent Camp on AAPG goes to show how different the maps can work out when they're missing certain types of weapons. I personally can't stand AAPG's Insurgent Camp because of the lack of M203. Insurgent Camp in the original AA was a map where a guy who was good with the grenade launcher could completely neutralize a team from going anywhere near the windows or outside making assault's attack so much easier. I remember teams would time how long it would take to reload the M203, wait for a shot and try to go for a pick off in that short window and then go back to hide. We'd also count how many shots a guy took because after he used up his rounds, there would be no more grenades shot. A team could also try to pick off the grenadier and force the team to use someone who is not as good in the role for the round, completely changing the complexion of the round. It made for interesting match ups.

Even a map like McKenna plays much different when everyone has M4s instead of M16s. Part of what made that map interesting was killing an OPFor and picking up his AK or RPK and going to town. AR spots were coveted for the same reason.

It's also part of the reason why i never liked AAPG adopting the one load out for all maps approach that other games have and also why I never liked that they never integrated any kind of load out restrictions in the map editor.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 573Player
    Will all of his forum bans be removed? There are several. Most of them went above and beyond what I would consider routine forum moderation...

I went through his IP bans and deleted all of them except ones marked "spambot" because those aren't cool.

aaHercules Hercules. GJ. Maybe they'll start making their way back into the community forums...several of these guys still play despite their treatment in months/years past.

It really is amazing what a little transparency can do for even the most staunch of critics. I think the openness and candid talk will snuff out a large portion of the (nonconstructive) criticism.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 571Player

aaHercules Hercules. GJ. Maybe they'll start making their way back into the community forums...several of these guys still play despite their treatment in months/years past.

It really is amazing what a little transparency can do for even the most staunch of critics. I think the openness and candid talk will snuff out a large portion of the (nonconstructive) criticism.

There are a number of banned user accounts. I don't pretend to know what they were banned for, but I'd hazard a guess that this one falls into what doogle's talking about: https://forum.americasarmy.com/profile/96/.shhfiftyfive-
    It's also part of the reason why i never liked AAPG adopting the one load out for all maps approach that other games have and also why I never liked that they never integrated any kind of load out restrictions in the map editor.

I hear you. This went on my whiteboard earlier. :+1:

Yeah I don't see usernames -- just IP's and domains. I have no idea who any of the bans were, but they're all released except spambots.

I don't believe in big-leaguing anybody. The only difference between us is I happen to work here.
    edited August 17
    By the way, one thing I will say about the old AA maps as much as I loved them (and maybe someone like hyperlite who was actually in the top AA2 clan can speak better to it than I can), from my experience while a lot of the maps were great pub maps, they were awfully unbalanced when it came to competitive play. Many games came down to who could break the defense for even a single round. You could have a 15 round game finish where the defense wins 14 of them and that 1 assault round that one of the teams won was the decider. Lots of memorable maps, but were they really the best competitive maps? Probably not.
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,362Player
    edited August 17
    1.Hospital after all this has kept AAPG going
    2.Alley AA3
    3.Impact AA3 My favourite map
  • -pR|Arkeiro-pR|Arkeiro Posts: 715Player
    Bringing the most popular maps of old versions is an easy way of bringing veterans back to the game.

Over 1.1k Golden Hawkeyes.
  • Dudash.dflDudash.dfl Posts: 9Player
    I understand that everything is currently unknown but if AA5 is a console only release.....I think I'd die inside
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 573Player
    Dudash.dfl wrote: »
    I understand that everything is currently unknown but if AA5 is a console only release.....I think I'd die inside

Hopefully by then Cross Platform gaming will be much improved, and an MMR based system would exist to "level" the playing fields. Elite console players getting matched up with novice PC gamers based on their MMR.
    Bringing the most popular maps of old versions is an easy way of bringing veterans back to the game.
    I agree and I push for it all the time.