AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 645Player
    edited October 2018
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    I do wonder how a map like dust2 if it were the exact same size would work in AAPG. I timed it on dust 2, going straight down the CT middle takes about 15 seconds. Going around short A through the tunnels and around takes more like 20-25 seconds. I did a similar test in Mirage and the timings were similar. This was with the knife out.

The only other option would be to increase the bomb timer for larger maps to something like 45 or 50 seconds. Which, I know AA has had plenty of larger maps, so it could be worthwhile to do if needed.

I know that's why Redline C4 could never be used competitively. It's basically a 30 second minimum full sprint to the top bomb site if you're on the train level. And there's a ton of places some random enemy could be sitting.

Also, since this happened while playing today, here's another video each demonstrating suppression/aim punch and OP flashes:

Note how long it took for the effect to finally go away.

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player

But But.. Thats how its supposed to be lol

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited October 2018
    Pfft, the most skilled players will have an easy time hitting an enemy when it looks like this:
    6c4v.png

Learn to adjust bro.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    Ya Brah, its called raising the skill ceiling

• -hyperlite--hyperlite- Posts: 104Player
    I do wonder how a map like dust2 if it were the exact same size would work in AAPG. I timed it on dust 2, going straight down the CT middle takes about 15 seconds. Going around short A through the tunnels and around takes more like 20-25 seconds. I did a similar test in Mirage and the timings were similar. This was with the knife out.

http://archive2.forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=15169&hilit=Map+contest

Map was called Special Delivery.

http://archive2.forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=15169&hilit=Map+contest

Map was called Special Delivery.

Right, I think I remember that. However, I was wondering more how it would actually play, especially with the slower movement speeds in AAPG vs. CS.
  • iDK.ArkeiroiDK.Arkeiro Posts: 775Player
    A nade blows in their spawn - a earthquake was made in the enemy spawn.

Over 2k Golden Hawkeyes.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    AA5 maps will need more spice.
    More map interaction, brighter realistic colours, maybe a little bit of comedic value here and there.
    Every map I play on in AAPG is so dull, drab and depressing.
    "ow look crayon walls, ow look concrete, ow look stones..." rinse and repeat.
    1.jpg
    AA5 maps will need more spice.
    More map interaction, brighter realistic colours, maybe a little bit of comedic value here and there.
    Every map I play on in AAPG is so dull, drab and depressing.
    "ow look crayon walls, ow look concrete, ow look stones..." rinse and repeat.

So what are you looking for? Tesla coils?

Ahhh no wonder far away nades still shake my screen.. Its the "earthquake effect" ..sick feature :pleased:

edited October 2018
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »

Ahhh no wonder far away nades still shake my screen.. Its the "earthquake effect" ..sick feature :pleased:

Yesterday I was playing where a guy threw a flash that not only blew up behind me, but it must have been a good 10-15 meters away from me. I was blinded for a good 5 seconds and died. It's funny how one of the things that helped kill AA2 (atomic flashbangs) are in this game.

Add in the earthquake grenades and insane suppression (we need a funny name for this too) and it really makes the game difficult to enjoy. It's incredibly frustrating at times. If they fixed suppression, toned down aim punch, greatly reduced if not eliminated the shake on grenades, and fixed flash bangs the game would become a lot more enjoyable. That's not even to go into the other changes that we've thrown out there.

Yesterday I was playing where a guy threw a flash that not only blew up behind me, but it must have been a good 10-15 meters away from me. I was blinded for a good 5 seconds and died. It's funny how one of the things that helped kill AA2 (atomic flashbangs) are in this game.

Add in the earthquake grenades and insane suppression (we need a funny name for this too) and it really makes the game difficult to enjoy. It's incredibly frustrating at times. If they fixed suppression, toned down aim punch, greatly reduced if not eliminated the shake on grenades, and fixed flash bangs the game would become a lot more enjoyable. That's not even to go into the other changes that we've thrown out there.

We keep arguing it, but my question is does Mr.Hollywood get what were saying or do they continue to see this as a none issue???

edited October 2018
    To add, if I remember correctly, none of these things were as broken in the open beta. A lot of people left after beta because they didn't like how the game had changed, certainly these things played a role.

Another thing I noticed is that when bullets fly by you, your soldier literally shakes. I could be out of view from my enemy, but if they shoot bullets by me I start shaking. My soldier "literally can't even" with these bullets and is so triggered that he's shaking. What kind of soldier starts shaking when bullets start flying by him? Pretty soon we're going to start making safe spaces in all of the maps for our soldiers when they get shot at.

We keep arguing it, but my question is does Mr.Hollywood get what were saying or do they continue to see this as a none issue???

For what it's worth, he said he agreed with this post of mine:
    America's Army has never been a MilSim and never will be.
    America's Army is a Recruitment tool designed to suck in all them poor little young darlings into the US Military.
    Where do you draw the line for realism? Is it ArmA or is it Counter Strike? Even Solitaire can be dicey with all them paper cuts!
    People want a quick and easy "jump in and win" games. People don't want high entry barrier games requiring you to read a thesis manual along with uber skills just to run around a map and have fun.
    Community creates the gameplay. In America's Army you can join servers where no one talks and your flamed for dying, or you can join servers that are vocally supportive and kind.

My reply to Keebler750 is;
    Do we need another half baked unoptimised laggy first person shooter made on Unreal Engine 4?
    My answer is no...

I think they should take steps to increase the skill ceiling. As it sits right now, there's not a huge learning curve to the game, especially compared to CSGO.

I'd suggest:
    • Get rid of the suppression effects from gunfire. Stop rewarding people for missing.
    • Get rid of the suppression effects from nades, or at least significantly reduce it.
    • Significantly decrease the visual effect of a flashbang that's not in your field of view. Flashbangs can be cooked. Make people throw them well.
    • Get rid of the exponentially increasing recoil with low HP. The penalty for low HP is low HP.
    • Consider reducing the radius on frag grenades. As with flashes, grenades can be cooked, so a good throw should be required.
    • Either remove supported positions or take further steps to balance them. Being able to strafe while ADS and firing is absurd. Minimal recoil, mostly behind cover and the ability to move from side to side while firing? What's the downside? I'd suggest at the very least forcing a dismount and remount animation to move. Possibly make ducking for cover take longer.
    • Maps built for specific loadouts. AAPG allows for too many zoom optics per side, in my opinion. I also liked the predefined spawn points for each fire team position for AA2.

I'm sure I can come up with more, but those are the main ones that come to mind for me.
    I think they should take steps to increase the skill ceiling. As it sits right now, there's not a huge learning curve to the game, especially compared to CSGO.

I'd suggest:
    • Get rid of the suppression effects from gunfire. Stop rewarding people for missing.
    • Get rid of the suppression effects from nades, or at least significantly reduce it.
    • Significantly decrease the visual effect of a flashbang that's not in your field of view. Flashbangs can be cooked. Make people throw them well.
    • Get rid of the exponentially increasing recoil with low HP. The penalty for low HP is low HP.
    • Consider reducing the radius on frag grenades. As with flashes, grenades can be cooked, so a good throw should be required.
    • Either remove supported positions or take further steps to balance them. Being able to strafe while ADS and firing is absurd. Minimal recoil, mostly behind cover and the ability to move from side to side while firing? What's the downside? I'd suggest at the very least forcing a dismount and remount animation to move. Possibly make ducking for cover take longer.
    • Maps built for specific loadouts. AAPG allows for too many zoom optics per side, in my opinion. I also liked the predefined spawn points for each fire team position for AA2.

I'm sure I can come up with more, but those are the main ones that come to mind for me.

I agree with all of this fyi

^^^ ok.. So a confirmation would be nice.

• LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 378Player

The only other option would be to increase the bomb timer for larger maps to something like 45 or 50 seconds. Which, I know AA has had plenty of larger maps, so it could be worthwhile to do if needed.

I know that's why Redline C4 could never be used competitively. It's basically a 30 second minimum full sprint to the top bomb site if you're on the train level. And there's a ton of places some random enemy could be sitting.

Also, since this happened while playing today, here's another video each demonstrating suppression/aim punch and OP flashes:

Looks fine to me.

You were suppressed and nearly killed in the first vid, and in the second vid you got hit with a good flash. Flashbang effects last a pretty long time on PS4 as well.
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg

Looks fine to me.

You were suppressed and nearly killed in the first vid, and in the second vid you got hit with a good flash. Flashbang effects last a pretty long time on PS4 as well.

You're a lost cause.

Whiplash highlighted how bad the current aim punch and suppression effects are in his screenshot from that video. There's no reason to reduce gunfights to who can get the luckiest.

That was a terrible flash. I could have easily gotten away, but I was trying to make the aggressive play. I had all day to see it and turn away from it, but the game rewarded his poor play and punished my play instead.
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 378Player
    edited October 2018

Looks fine to me.

You're a lost cause.

Whiplash highlighted how bad the current aim punch and suppression effects are in his screenshot from that video. There's no reason to reduce gunfights to who can get the luckiest.

That was a terrible flash. I could have easily gotten away, but I was trying to make the aggressive play. I had all day to see it and turn away from it, but the game rewarded his poor play and punished my play instead.

Oh please, that screen shot is meaningless as the screen only looks like that for a fraction of a second and when you're taking damage. I could find the same image in my vid if I were to screenshot when I was getting shot at. In most cases you barely notice it.

And the flash was solid. The enemy anticipated your whereabouts and threw a flash which actually landed at the entrance of the stairwell you were standing in. The only thing I see "poor" about his play was the fact that he didn't try and gun you down, which is the only reason why you managed to kill him (or his buddy).
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Developer

I agree, sure, but you're also not thinking big enough. We have a lot of new options with the new game engines!

I agree, sure, but you're also not thinking big enough. We have a lot of new options with the new game engines!

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Making things too complex is not a good thing.

Also, how about an update for AAPG to make these things less awful?