AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    My understanding is that moving AA5 to UE4 will give the developers a lot of simple "point and click" tools allowing them to create or customise things with relatively ease and haste (compared to UE3).
    Not to mention the dynamic interoperability as UE4 already natively support PC/Linux/Mac/Xbox and Playstation platforms.
    Once the AA5 ball is rolling, it will come together very quickly I think.

It's why I'm hoping that the game will get done more quickly than three years. Especially if they really are going to ramp up staff.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    Unreal Engine 4 + Easy Anti Cheat + Crack Team of Army Devs = AA5 Win.
    1.jpg
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    Unreal Engine 4 + Easy Anti Cheat + Crack Team of Army Devs = AA5 Win.

Its only a win if they actually listen to player feedback and not just make whatever they want. Follow in the footsteps of Valve, they listen to pro players after every change cause without them there is no game.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • Unreal Engine 4 + Easy Anti Cheat + Crack Team of Army Devs = AA5 Win.

If EAC comes with the ability to run custom checks, streaming to ACI, PBBans and a kind of program with the same abilities as PBUcon it might be a win, else it will be a giant lose in catching actual cheaters.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Its only a win if they actually listen to player feedback and not just make whatever they want. Follow in the footsteps of Valve, they listen to pro players after every change cause without them there is no game.

While I'm sure they will have an open ear, it's a totally different ball game with the Army. If they make a comp suited game based on that kind of feedback alone, I'd be speechless.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    edited September 2018

While I'm sure they will have an open ear, it's a totally different ball game with the Army. If they make a comp suited game based on that kind of feedback alone, I'd be speechless.

Me too, and history has shown that it will not happen and the reason why i'm less than optimistic about AAV.
    I just watched a trailer for BF5, they too are going with the Battle Royal fad, along with other game plays and to be honest it looks ridiculous! If AAV chooses a more generic route for the casual pubber they wont last because of the competition, the only road to success is through a more competitive game.

• LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 378Player

Me too, and history has shown that it will not happen and the reason why i'm less than optimistic about AAV.
    I just watched a trailer for BF5, they too are going with the Battle Royal fad, along with other game plays and to be honest it looks ridiculous! If AAV chooses a more generic route for the casual pubber they wont last because of the competition, the only road to success is through a more competitive game.

I think one thing the army could do with AA:5 is make sure it gets some advertisement. Let the nation know AA:5 exists and is a thing. That'd probably attract a lot of people. TV Commercials might be expensive, but I think the Army could afford ads on various websites.
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
    I think one thing the army could do with AA:5 is make sure it gets some advertisement. Let the nation know AA:5 exists and is a thing. That'd probably attract a lot of people. TV Commercials might be expensive, but I think the Army could afford ads on various websites.

Agreed, but you need a great game. Great game + Advertising = Huge player base. Mediocre to bad game + Advertising means not much different than AA3 & AAPG.
    edited September 2018

You know, for a military force that prides it self as being the best in the world, you'd think they'd want a video game that pushes competition and being the best. Just a thought. Plus if the Army really wants to showcase being "Army" then competition is the best way to do it. It's the zenith of team play and tactics in any FPS game.

That doesn't mean that you can't have a slightly slower pace and tactical game either. It just means you need a game with a proper skill curve, that feels good to control your character, well made maps, and doesn't hold your hand much. It needs to be fairly easily accessible, but very difficult to master. Even in terms of accessibility, you can take a look at a game like Dota which can take hundreds of hours to even know what you're doing (let alone being decent) and yet it's still extremely popular and long lasting.

It's funny because AAO/2 had more of those aspects. The cyclical/predictable breathing patterns were the absolute best thing I've ever seen in an ADS game rather than the random + hold breath nonsense that you see in every game these days. The predictability of spawn points based on your squad position. No revives. Movement felt a bit more fluid (although it was still somewhat sluggish compared to modern games). It wasn't perfect, but it was still made in a way that fostered competition a lot better than many and especially the newer AA games.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    The maps and the play style in AA2/3 were believable in terms of a place you could actually be and actions you could encounter. AAPG was "dumed" way down and you don't get that feeling anywhere in the game. That aspect has to come back to represent the Army. That will "sell" to people who visit registration centers and curious minds. Make the game play well on top of that and you've got A+ material. We'll see....
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • The maps and the play style in AA2/3 were believable in terms of a place you could actually be and actions you could encounter. AAPG was "dumed" way down and you don't get that feeling anywhere in the game. That aspect has to come back to represent the Army. That will "sell" to people who visit registration centers and curious minds. Make the game play well on top of that and you've got A+ material. We'll see....

YEES, Thank you.. Good I'm not the only one feeling this.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 645Player
    Too bad handing out CDs isn't really a thing any more. How many computers don't even have a CD drive these days?
    Too bad handing out CDs isn't really a thing any more. How many computers don't even have a CD drive these days?

USB Thumb Drives?
    Likely cheaper than a CD today too lol.
    1.jpg
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 645Player

USB Thumb Drives?
    Likely cheaper than a CD today too lol.

Depends. How big is the game in total?

You could have a minimally-sized drive with an installer that then has to download the game. You could have the whole game and only have to worry about getting it updated. You also have the minimal hurdle of needing to get Steam if you don't already have it.
  • SiNsOfThEDeViLSiNsOfThEDeViL Posts: 106Player
    Well I hope it releases, I would love for a new AA game, even tho the game has a low player base I'm sure that AA5 would be a huge success like AA 2.5

GO FOR IT!

Whatever you do, you cannot outrun the devil.

Steam
    edited September 2018
    What PC gamer doesn't have Steam these days? Who are these people and why are they stuck in the early 2000s?
    edited September 2018
    Steam does everything and more. It's perfect for the PC/Linux/Mac environment.
    Remember when Pragmatic got involved in the dying days of AA2 and they tried to get everyone to download AA2 via that silly auto download client. It was pure cancer.
    Steam works, it works very well and its always being updated. Why keep reinventing the wheel when the wheel is already there?

That said, I would like to see the AA Devs use "Game Bans" more in Steam, it seems like an untapped resource at the moment.
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6899-IOSK-9514
    1.jpg
    BTW, I've been working on a map that's a bit bigger than my previous map and one of the biggest issues I've noticed is that the slowish movement speed makes getting across the map really difficult. I have two C4 sites that aren't terribly far from each other on the mini-map, but it takes 20-25 seconds to get from site to site. I tried everything I could to get it to around 15 seconds in the shortest path, but it was just impossible without greatly reworking the map. I have no idea how it is on the official maps out there now, but in general if you have a 40 second timer and you're at the wrong bomb site, being able to get there in a full sprint without encountering any enemies along the way and only having 15 seconds to spare before it blows is not good.

There is a part of me that would like AA5 to have a fourth movement speed.
    Tactical
    Standard
    Run
    Sprint

Sprint would be an all out type of run that takes longer to recover from and has a limited stamina bar that once it runs out you can't sprint anymore.
    That's a good idea if they don't listen and leave movement speed remains the same, which again the game will feel sluggish, which will only lead to bad things. If they listen and Standard speed increases it might not be necessary? you can only test to know for sure.

edited October 2018
    I do wonder how a map like dust2 if it were the exact same size would work in AAPG. I timed it on dust 2, going straight down the CT middle takes about 15 seconds. Going around short A through the tunnels and around takes more like 20-25 seconds. I did a similar test in Mirage and the timings were similar. This was with the knife out.

The only other option would be to increase the bomb timer for larger maps to something like 45 or 50 seconds. Which, I know AA has had plenty of larger maps, so it could be worthwhile to do if needed.