AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• -R@MPAGE--R@MPAGE- Posts: 150Player
    Wooaah.. what's all this? a new dev who has been here 12 years? suddenly decides to join the fun.. start sharing information? dropping AA5 bombs? giving us what we've always asked for, communication.. and Tots is a fraggle??

Hollywood eh? a land of dreams.. I've been away so long and it's been so quiet. I think I must be dreaming this whole thing.

What the heck, I'll say Welcome just incase this is real, nice to meet you aaHollywood and thanks!

I agree it’s bizarre. It’s almost like they sent this guy to create a buzz about this franchise again.

I would recommend having some sort of survey style input from the community on the next version of AA. I really think the major thing that was lacking on aapg was the lack of fun maps and consistent new content that made me keep playing.

• aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 344Developer
    Hello apparently "new" DEV. It is good to hear a new AA is coming out. This series is to good to have an end.
    My suggestions are pretty simple, a mix of aa2 and aapg. This means admins having alot of control of their own servers - which will allow competition to grow smoothly; improving the netcode, please don't use the lag/ping compensation system; a long leveling system like AA2; leaderboards; a singleplayer place to practise aim and other stuff.
    Very basic, superficial suggestions, but important. The most complete game was AA2, so looking into that is a good idea.

Good luck, sir, please make this game great again.

I hear you. Thank you.
    Wooaah.. what's all this? a new dev who has been here 12 years? suddenly decides to join the fun.. start sharing information? dropping AA5 bombs? giving us what we've always asked for, communication.. and Tots is a fraggle??

Hollywood eh? a land of dreams.. I've been away so long and it's been so quiet. I think I must be dreaming this whole thing.

What the heck, I'll say Welcome just incase this is real, nice to meet you aaHollywood and thanks!

A land of dreams indeed. Named Hollywood by my peers for always being the high-profile guy. I promise you I'm real -- I'm voice #4 in your soldier customization.

In all seriousness I've been away on our GoArmy Edge sports products (outreach of a different flavor). I haven't been sent to blow smoke at anybody -- quite the opposite, I was asked to take over because of how I engaged with and treated football coaches and players like real people, with honesty and openness. And I told the powers that be I wouldn't do this for AAPG unless I could be just as open -- and they agreed.

So now you've got me, for better or worse.
    -R@MPAGE- wrote: »
    I agree it’s bizarre. It’s almost like they sent this guy to create a buzz about this franchise again.

I would recommend having some sort of survey style input from the community on the next version of AA. I really think the major thing that was lacking on aapg was the lack of fun maps and consistent new content that made me keep playing.

Nah, the Army wouldn't pay someone for that lol.

We do have a survey monkey account to do surveys with, I'll get the login info.
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 496Player
    This is some spiciness. I like it. I loved AA:PG beta but full release killed it for me, particularly the awful sound engine. AA5 with all of the juiciness of beta and more would have me dropping hundreds and hundreds of hours. I have friends who would definitely come back to the franchise, too, and do the same.

Hollywood, please make AA great again. AA:PG was my first game of the series. I don't want it to be the last, and I want the amazingness of beta back - but better.
  • -hyperlite--hyperlite- Posts: 94Player
    Is this the “people’s choice Dev” that we lost 4 years ago to the virtual army experience? The only dev I can remember that made an effort within the community?

If it is good luck. If it’s not, well then I’d suggest the words you type are chosen carefully. This community has been burnt so many times that we expect nothing but failure because in my eyes that’s all I see when I look at AAPG in its present form.

I don’t care how good you think a new version of AA will be, from most peoples perspective it’s a glass half empty situation.

The stupid trello board could not even be kept updated and that was there to give us some sort of transparency.

And let’s not forget one very consistent and important factor here. This is a government game and the pace of any update to the current game and a new version are non existent. We are 3 years away from a new version.
  • Dudash.dflDudash.dfl Posts: 9Player
    Is this a dream? Am I reading all of these posts correctly and that there will be an AA5?

I hope this is all true, I really do. I miss AA so much as it's the only game that I played for so many YEARS, unlike days or months with other games. I just want an AA game that is mainly AA2 at the core with some new features and quality of life changes and I'd be a happy camper.

Please make sure to remake IC, WC, Alley, and Impact. Thank you! =)
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 74Beta Tester
    edited August 16
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    So aaHollywood, are you the new (or maybe additional) Tots?

New and then some.

Tots is gonzo.

I think it's worth quoting this... Tots did a great service for the game, he will be missed.

Welcome to the forums aaHollywood. :)

OIC!
    --

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,362Player
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,932Player
    BTW, if you do start taking surveys about what people would like to see in AA5, I'd say it would be vitally important to post it on the facebook page. You have about 80K followers there. Taking a poll among the few people left on these forums isn't going to accomplish much. Of course, I remember the last "what would you like to see in the next America's Army Game" got tons of traffic once that spread.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    Hollywood, please make AA great again. AA:PG was my first game of the series. I don't want it to be the last, and I want the amazingness of beta back - but better.

What was so much better about the beta? How was it different?
    OICURMT! wrote: »
    I think it's worth quoting this... Tots did a great service for the game, he will be missed.

Welcome to the forums aaHollywood. :)

OIC!

Yep, he left to start his own marketing company. He's out in the wild now!
    BTW, if you do start taking surveys about what people would like to see in AA5, I'd say it would be vitally important to post it on the facebook page. You have about 80K followers there. Taking a poll among the few people left on these forums isn't going to accomplish much. Of course, I remember the last "what would you like to see in the next America's Army Game" got tons of traffic once that spread.

Yeah and that's a huge number of followers. Social media is a big part of everything going forward. There are 67k on the steam group, 90k on Facebook, 3k on Twitter, however many we get on Instagram. You can't ignore that.
    Oh, and I'll just throw this thread out there. 155 pages of ideas for you:
    http://archive2.forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5615&sid=f5f95abaebedbbee20d9d7fe612ed658
    http://archive2.forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5615&sid=f5f95abaebedbbee20d9d7fe612ed658

Wow that'll take a while to get through. I'm still looking at Delton's 3 promises right now lol.
  • -R@MPAGE--R@MPAGE- Posts: 150Player

Wow that'll take a while to get through. I'm still looking at Delton's 3 promises right now lol.

While there is a TON of information in there, I think reading through that help you get a good vibe at how the community feels and what we are looking for. I don't want to say remake AA2 because we tend to forget that series had its own issues but having a game closer to that project might be more ideal.

This might be a hot take, but I was a huge fan of interdection and snake plain. I really enjoyed the team play against the AI.

MS6o4Bl.png
    The stupid trello board could not even be kept updated and that was there to give us some sort of transparency.

And let’s not forget one very consistent and important factor here. This is a government game and the pace of any update to the current game and a new version are non existent. We are 3 years away from a new version.

The Trello board should be updated now and stay updated -- Tear has taken that over.

I wanted to argue with you about this but your estimate is probably spot on.
    Most activity I have seen here in a long time welcome aaHollywood =)
    edited August 16
    I hope we don't see a 3 year wait. Who knows, we may be talking about UE5 coming out a that point.

EDIT: Although it seems that UE4 may just continue as a service going into the future, so maybe there will never be a UE5.