AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• doogle!doogle! Posts: 678Player
    edited September 2018
    Whip, I only mentioned "rebroadcasting" because of what was referenced earlier in the thread.

Agreed that it should be live, but the production has gotta be good...not just some rando with a twitch. We need someone with a Marlboro voice, an overlay, etc. A small broadcast team...color commentary, play-by-play, prerecorded interviews to replay during broadcast, etc.. Would also need built-in time for round analysis and discussion...so longer wait times in between rounds (and side swap) for "official" casted matches.

110% there should be ranked matchmaking in AA5. ESPECIALLY if console numbers are over 10k. I'd literally lose all faith in anything this company does if matchmaking is not included, at least on consoles, for the next version.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    I've posted about matchmaking before and how the ranks should look, using real life Army Ranks. However I dont believe this or any other AA title will be popular enough to support Matchmaking in a way csgo does.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • Foutre?!Foutre?! Posts: 713Player
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    I've posted about matchmaking before and how the ranks should look, using real life Army Ranks. However I dont believe this or any other AA title will be popular enough to support Matchmaking in a way csgo does.

Then take a look at Insurgency: Sandstorm, how their ranked system works. The best part, its also on UE4 so a system like that is possible for us.
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Developer
    edited September 2018
    Then take a look at Insurgency: Sandstorm, how their ranked system works. The best part, its also on UE4 so a system like that is possible for us.

<3

<3

I <3 you too sweet pie :lol:
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 189Player
    Really need the following:
    - Server Side API.
    - Website Account Data API.

Not just for the modding and customisation scene, but so data can be used effectively by the community in whatever 3rd party project they are working on. ie. aaotracker clone.
    35d2uec.png

Ohh didnt know a new insurgency game was coming out... looks solid... if it has a decent competitive scene to begin with I might check it out. But dont see anything about it and a "ranked system", I do see a progression system using real army ranks which is great. But thats not what I had in mind for AA.

Anyhow, Insurgency will probably see waaay more players at least trying the game out then AAV ever would, thats just my opinion.

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,121Player
    edited September 2018
    Probably, but it's debatable. AAV needs positive word of mouth and can easily have that built in fan base show up. That means don't mess up. Insurgency is still a fairly niche game in the grand scheme of things. I hope it does well, but the issues I've been hearing about optimization and performance worry me.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    Things like performance never worry me, It blows my mind some people still play with PC's made in the 90's and expect great results. Obvious exaggeration but people just need to have realistic expectations from their PC's.

yeah good point AAV cant mess up, you've had too many chances since AAO.

Insurgency will do good for a few months then the numbers will drop considerably because in the end it will be the same old game on a new engine that will wow you for a week, unless major things chance and I dont see that happening. It was a great game, lots of good mechanics mixed with very poor maps and horrid obj play.

Playing Push along with take and hold over and over got boring really fast, and the maps not only were bad in layout, but filled with so much detail that once players got dominated it because a camp fest of a game, and you just cant possibly clear every spot especially with the high HP damage.
    SOo boring.

That game in something like a 6v6 environment, playing multiple bomb plant environment might be good, yet no game wants to go there. why? are they afraid people will say "oh they're trying to be csgo" ?? In my opinion that's a good thing!! If you're not like csgo you're just another COD so AAV chose your battle wisely. Either focus on competition or compete in a market where games come out ever 9 months, good luck with that.

• Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 549Beta Tester
    Insurgency will do good for a few months then the numbers will drop considerably because in the end it will be the same old game on a new engine that will wow you for a week, unless major things chance and I dont see that happening. It was a great game, lots of good mechanics mixed with very poor maps and horrid obj play.

Well, depends on the type of player. The original Insurgency is over 4 years old, but still managing 3k+ daily peak players consistently. You can debate, whether this is good or not - it's a niche game after all - but according to Steam Charts, AAPGs all-time peak is 3k. The new Insurgency is also coming to Xbox. I don't know anything about crossplay options, but it's not looking bad for them IMO.

What I really liked about Insurgency is their weapon customization system. Many weapons, many attachments, so many options to try - it was fun. Also, it's not a realistic game, but a quite immersive one. An AA game probably will never allow the amount of bad language what you hear as automatic callouts in Insurgency for example, but there are other elements of it, which could be implemented. I think immersion is one area where AAPG was disappointing for many players, who wanted a more hardcore experience.

Overall, I think Insurgency has a couple of neat things, what AAV should consider, if it's going to be a tactical shooter.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    That's just it Levente, being able to capture the best parts of multiple games and creating a mother of all games. Something that seems so simple yet never delivered.

Watched a few more videos on I.S and its already got the same feel, same game play as the original, take and hold with 4 or 5 locations to run from one to another and back again lol #facepalm

• aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Developer
    Really need the following:
    - Server Side API.
    - Website Account Data API.

Not just for the modding and customisation scene, but so data can be used effectively by the community in whatever 3rd party project they are working on. ie. aaotracker clone.

Yeah I have a couple conversations open with some data/database guys from the forums here and the outside world to make sure we get them what they want for all that stuff. It won't be this update but I'm penciling it in for the next one. From our pov, with adding private lobbies and clan tags, getting those stats out becomes highest priority for a true competitive mode.

Ohh didnt know a new insurgency game was coming out... looks solid... if it has a decent competitive scene to begin with I might check it out. But dont see anything about it and a "ranked system", I do see a progression system using real army ranks which is great. But thats not what I had in mind for AA.

Anyhow, Insurgency will probably see waaay more players at least trying the game out then AAV ever would, thats just my opinion.

Ye, you can already play it if you order it now, you get access to the Open Beta. As from this current Beta (Beta 2) you can play co-op, versus and competitive mode. The game has regular ranking, you get from all modes and then competitive mode has it's own ranking system with it. I personally have not played the competitive mode, I still want to try it out.

Whiplash27 wrote: »
    I hope it does well, but the issues I've been hearing about optimization and performance worry me.

That's correct, and because of that they are delaying the official launch from 18th this month to 12th of December. This way they have time to optimize the game more, they are also upgrading their UE4 version to 4.20.. This beta 2 I already received 2 big patches.

I think Insurgency has a couple of neat things, what AAV should consider.

Oh yes definitely, AAV could use a customization as they do it. Selecting weapons, weapon mods, gear. I specially like the way they are doing it in I:S where you can save your preset and hop into the game, click your loadout preset and tadaa. instantly playing without having to select each piece of equipment.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 445Player
    edited September 2018
    Who is this guy (aaHollywood]? He's not like any other dev. Most of those guys seem to respond like robots. lol
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    edited September 2018
    Who is this guy (aaHollywood]? He's not like any other dev. Most of those guys seem to respond like robots. lol

He is the change we all have been waiting for :+1:
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 630Player

And he don't even code! :D
    AAPG is good!
    Flatlander wrote: »

We already have enough coders, we needed some one like Hollywood that pushed the right buttons.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 189Player

+1
    The future looks bright for AA.
    35d2uec.png
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 549Beta Tester

Maybe he is the next advancement in the Army's AI program...?
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 630Player
    Flatlander wrote: »

We already have enough coders, we needed some one like Hollywood that pushed the right buttons.

Was just a insider joke from my Facebook group. He's da man (IF he delivers the patch end of September).
    AAPG is good!