AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,518Player
    Would be nice to have all these back now I never said in the future.

1.Pipeline AA2
    2.CSAR AA2
    3.Alley AA3
    4.Impact AA3
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,077Moderator
    If theres going to be remakes, a lot of attention has to be given to the original game flow, not like hospital, a lot of makeup so it looks nice, but kills gameplay.
    (i dont think theres a single original sight line thats intact.)
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • -R@MPAGE--R@MPAGE- Posts: 151Player
    frankof wrote: »
    If theres going to be remakes, a lot of attention has to be given to the original game flow, not like hospital, a lot of makeup so it looks nice, but kills gameplay.
    (i dont think theres a single original sight line thats intact.)

x2
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited September 2018
    Hospital was never done right and I honestly don't know why when it was simple enough to replicate the map even with the new version. Run through the original map and compare it to the AAPG version. There are areas that are opened in the AAPG version that aren't in the original, the teams start on the opposite sides of the map vs. the original, the VIP runs too fast and has too much health and ammo. The VIP running speed is a huge issue because he can get out of the door much faster now. All things that could have easily been fixed with a function where you can customize how much ammo, health and movement speed the VIP has in the map editor and then closing off the map where necessary.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • valid|Dropvalid|Drop Posts: 33Beta Tester
    @aaHollywood / Microsoft can eat it then. Its unfortunate, because Xbox has a much larger player base when it comes to free games, but 2 Million imo wouldn't be worth it, so I can understand that.

Regarding Beta Testers, they did not design the game. There sole purpose is to test what's provided to them, not change the code entirely. (No offense to those that did)
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    edited September 2018
    18 pages of stuff I didn't read...

I'm glad to see so much interest and feedback in a new AA. This series needs to be revived. As poor as recent releases have been, there is still a strong support for the future of this game. I have some good memories of AA3 in what they were trying to do, but that is for another topic.

AAPG truly is a proving grounds for the AA dev team. A proving grounds that a game can be made in a more modern engine and a playground for what kind of things can be done. That said, AAPG isn't good. Like my comment with AA3, AAPG has some good things we can take from it, but plenty can be left behind as well.

Like many have said, the game has to return very similarly to the core beginning. Now I'm going to throw a wrench into this quick in quick out, fast movement, fast rounds era. I realize the goal isn't to recruit a bunch of old guys, but the motion made by an older generation to pass along things to a younger generation still exists. Younger folks will have an open ear to the stories of the great times that their elders had in the game early on. The game should be designed like the original in a lot of respects, large maps, longer round times, dynamic environments and situations, etc., but also be able to conform to modern gen in and out, quick "competitive" rounds. The game stands to greatly benefit by getting everyone involved in the game. A future that has a mix of what we remember in tactical, slower gameplay, and also run and gun competition gaming. BDX & FLO did not flesh this out well in AAPG. It has to be rethought and redesigned.

In any case I'm glad to hear another AA is coming. Good luck! ~Make AA great again

#AAV
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Player
    vDrop wrote: »
    @aaHollywood / Microsoft can eat it then. Its unfortunate, because Xbox has a much larger player base when it comes to free games, but 2 Million imo wouldn't be worth it, so I can understand that.

Regarding Beta Testers, they did not design the game. There sole purpose is to test what's provided to them, not change the code entirely. (No offense to those that did)

We will, however, budget it for AAV ;)
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    Beta Testers -> Public Early Access -> Public Release

Please use this cycle before anything goes full release, at least in regards to patches/updates. Put the Beta Testers at the forefront, but don't officially release it until the Public has fully tested. The Beta team can be your larger opinion, smaller testing front, but let the public environment wield the pre-public release to ensure quality.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    FLO and BDX was a terrible way to go about splitting up maps. The best way to do it from day 1 is use features that even UE2.5 had, namely restricting map sizes based on player counts. Some maps need it, other maps don't. However, you create a map that works at whatever your main player size is and then expand it when there are more than X players and make it smaller when there are less than Y players. You can even make it a server variable so that servers aren't forced to cut down or expand maps if they don't want to. It would make it so that everyone can play the same maps regardless of if it's a large game or small game. You don't have to make maps specific to comp games or large pub games, they're all the same. You just need to get creative in how you want the maps to expand or close off. As I said, some maps probably wouldn't need it and other would, but there should never be a split in maps. Also, server owners should be able to define the player count they want in their servers and this would make that work.
  • Sr.GatilhoSr.Gatilho Posts: 51Player
    We all want the next AA to be something like of what AA2 was : game mechanics maps and stuff like that but my question is:what can we use from this one to the new?
    Sr.Gatilho wrote: »
    We all want the next AA to be something like of what AA2 was : game mechanics maps and stuff like that but my question is:what can we use from this one to the new?

Good question. From my perspective, I don't really see a lot that AAPG does that AA2 didn't do as good or better. Maybe the shooting mechanics? I do think that AAPG compared to some other games actually does a pretty good job with them. Although, I think the original AA was more challenging & better from that perspective.
  • valid|Dropvalid|Drop Posts: 33Beta Tester
    Whiplash27 wrote: »

Good question. From my perspective, I don't really see a lot that AAPG does that AA2 didn't do as good or better. Maybe the shooting mechanics? I do think that AAPG compared to some other games actually does a pretty good job with them. Although, I think the original AA was more challenging & better from that perspective.

Agreed on more challenging. My personal favorite was the Squad/Fireteam selection upon entering a server. Having a Fireteam Leader and such.

FireTeam A go Primary / Fireteam B go Secondary, I feel teamwork was used a lot more in AA2 than AA:PG. I personally would rather see that return to AA:PG before V becomes a thing, just to improve the quality of the current. 3 Years is a long way. I get we can't change everything, but its those little things I believe we could adjust.
    vDrop wrote: »

Agreed on more challenging. My personal favorite was the Squad/Fireteam selection upon entering a server. Having a Fireteam Leader and such.

FireTeam A go Primary / Fireteam B go Secondary, I feel teamwork was used a lot more in AA2 than AA:PG. I personally would rather see that return to AA:PG before V becomes a thing, just to improve the quality of the current. 3 Years is a long way. I get we can't change everything, but its those little things I believe we could adjust.

Agreed. Would love to see some mechanics built into the game to heavily promote team play. I have also thought about the ability to chat in game with just your fireteam will a separate keybind to facilitate the team play even more.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    There will never be a form of "team work" in a pub game, especially with 12 players per side. Competition brings the best form of team work you can have in a video game. Make the game competitive and youll see teamwork.

Well planned out maps can create teamwork, usually single objectives dont work (what we mostly see in AAPG) As soon as you have two obj there is communication and a sense of team work from both teams. Focus your maps on two bomb sites primarily, then you can expand them easily into VIP extraction and or take and hold and what not.

BDX maps were a joke, move 5 steps shoot or get nade spammed lol

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    There will never be a form of "team work" in a pub game, especially with 12 players per side. Competition brings the best form of team work you can have in a video game. Make the game competitive and youll see teamwork.

Well planned out maps can create teamwork, usually single objectives dont work (what we mostly see in AAPG) As soon as you have two obj there is communication and a sense of team work from both teams. Focus your maps on two bomb sites primarily, then you can expand them easily into VIP extraction and or take and hold and what not.

BDX maps were a joke, move 5 steps shoot or get nade spammed lol

I am shocked that the word competition came out of your mouth.
    edited September 2018
    There will always be lone wolves in pub games. However, maps that force players into choke points do a great job of keeping players near each other and working together to the extent that they can. Giving players more points for team play is not enticing to most players. My previous idea of rewarding the team somehow via teamplay actions could work, but even there I'm sure there will be enough players who'd just ignore it to the detriment of the team. I remember AA2 used to make it so that you'd shoot more accurately or have less sway when you were near teammates and even that didn't cause most players to stick together.

The other problem is that in a game where players always come from the same locations round after round, sticking close to your teammates can be an awful idea. One grenade can destroy multiple guys with ease. Grenade spam is always a problem especially when grenades kill at such a long distance. Even if they didn't, a single grenade can easily damage a group of enemies so that they're at a disadvantage before anyone even sees each other. It's also partly why I always felt that if you absolutely need to have grenades be 100HP deadly, that that kill zone should be very small so that only perfectly thrown grenades would provide that kill.

Every game mechanic needs addressing, from shooting to movement and in between. But movement should be the key focus as shooting wasn't all that bad.
    Movement needs to be more fluent, which means sped up. It was slow in every AA series which not only makes the game feel like you're walking in quicksand, but actions such as "corner peeking" become non existent, a must have character action in any competitive game.

edited September 2018
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »

Every game mechanic needs addressing, from shooting to movement and in between. But movement should be the key focus as shooting wasn't all that bad.
    Movement needs to be more fluent, which means sped up. It was slow in every AA series which not only makes the game feel like you're walking in quicksand, but actions such as "corner peeking" become non existent, a must have character action in any competitive game.

The original AA may have been on the slower side, but I remember corner peeking being extremely common and highly effective among the more skilled players. I remember guys would pop back and forth and line up a shot on you then pop out and boom, head shot. The only way to stop it was to move when they were doing it or prefire and hope for the best.
    edited September 2018
    BTW, personally I'd love if the PC version of AAPG would become a testing bed for features may come to AA5 until real development starts. I'd certainly start playing again if things like movement speed, action speed, supported adjustments, new attachments, fire teams, etc. were added/adjusted. It would allow the dev team to nail down the gameplay style for the next game before development even starts.
    edited September 2018
    I guess it doesn't really matter if it was possible or not, it all comes down to 1 thing. I as a player cannot be restricted by any game movement, quick response times reward quick thinking, and also contribute to mistakes made. Movement alone can create a massive skill gap separation, along with mastering gun mechanics and map knowledge. Slow movement also makes defense, and camping advantageous, speed is your balance.