AA5 Discussion Thread (Renamed)

Comments

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    And here was me wanting to jump out of a sherman tank held up by balloons and gliding back to earth hanging onto a "Property of US Army" Pelican case... Ow well... One can dream... /s

The only way I could see AA battle royale working would be if it were fireteams of 4 only and everybody else looked like OPFor and you had to survive to the end. No one would like it and it would fail miserably.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    Sorry for posting like crazy. On a note when it comes to maps. There are guys out there (check the UMM subforum) who legit just port the maps from AA2 into AAPG. I'm sure when the time comes such a thing can easily be done for AA5 if you're looking to just get straight ports and not have to worry about spending tons of time remaking them. You could probably take the originals, port them and just brush up the textures and such and I doubt most would complain and then spend more time focusing on building new maps.
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Player
    And here was me wanting to jump out of a sherman tank held up by balloons and gliding back to earth hanging onto a "Property of US Army" Pelican case... Ow well... One can dream... /s

I mean a lot of us here do play BR games and have a great time with them (squad chicken dinner just last night woot) -- and it has been tossed out as an idea for AAV -- but you guys have already identified the problem. Namely, won't we be tired of it three years from now, even assuming we get over that doing BR would be nothing like past AA titles.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,621Beta Tester

You do know AA Devs got roped into making a World of Tanks clone Operation Overwatch or something...
    I wouldn't put it past them making a Battle Royal game as its the flavour of the month.

Could you explain why you're posting absolutely false information? Where is your source for this?

Here's mine:
    What is Operation: Overmatch?

Operation Overmatch is an online, multi-player game designed to improve combat effectiveness and shape the future force through Soldier feedback and human behavior data analysis.

This new pilot game from the U.S. Army Capabilities Integration Center (ARCIC) and Army Game Studio is an innovative approach utilizing Early Synthetic Prototyping or ESP. Players including Soldiers, research personnel, and leaders can configure future concepts of vehicles and equipment, perform missions, and complete objectives in a virtual complex operational environment. Operation Overmatch aims to disrupt the design/test/build paradigm by validating equipment, doctrines, and organization through direct Soldier and stakeholder feedback and player behavior data analysis. Innovation comes by experimentation, failure, and iteration. Operation Overmatch is serious gameplay to shape the future force.

- from https://www.operationovermatch.com/

Just wondering how this is a clone of World Of Tanks, that's all....and maybe questioning our view of what the Army does with the software it develops.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    Can't imagine any AA being a BR game.. I just can't. AA has always emphasized teamwork.. and the US Army values. BR won't fit at least I can't see it.

Maybe as a mod? or optional gametype.. surely not the main focus.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• DrawnDrawn Posts: 170Player
    Maybe interesting from 250 days ago.
    TheTots wrote: »
    Guess the cat's out of the bag. There's not much I'm free to say at this time, but I'll say what I can.

The game is player v player vehicle based combat. We may be adding in more, like ground troops, but that is not certain.
    We are using Unreal Engine 4 and working closely with multiple groups within the Army to make a realistic tank simulator to test out near-future vehicle prototypes.

We are in what I hesitate to even call early Alpha at this point. This is going to be a multi-year effort in terms of development.

Core PG team will still work on PG. It is not being abandoned in favor of this new game.

EDIT: While there is a sign up page, you will not be able to get access yet. That is for DOD/Army only, All requests sent there are vetted and hand selected for them only.

Here are a few (EARLY NON FINAL) in game assets so you can kind of see what we're doing!

2rsqjvqcul51.jpg
    55trdb6kwc82.jpg
    t9dwucypofb4.png
    b4yicp3cpwt7.png

• -SD-Maclobster-SD-Maclobster Posts: 220Beta Tester
    edited August 2018
    RollingInTheHurt wrote
    AAPG servers are now full of Cheaters and Macro users that ruin the game for everyone else with no repercussions.
    This is totally untrue our server is cheat free due to PB and -ACI- you can ask any player joining our server, its very rare we have a hacker on our server and if one does manage to get on due to making a different account he is soon caught and banned thanks to -ACI- and Punkbuster.
    I hope in the new AA5 the dev.s start to use -ACI- streaming on their servers if that happens maybe then we can see a end to hackers. If your servers are not streaming to -ACI- then give it a try and start to enjoy playing on your cheat free server again http://www.anticheatinc.net

I love using -ACI-.It helps protecting the servers very well, alot of options to catch cheat from players or protect clantag, good community, i support this and hope to see it in the next version of AA
    (\/) (',,') (\/)
    Pipeline
    AA2 Hospital
    HonorTown
  • PredictionPrediction Posts: 134Player
    Maclobster wrote: »
    RollingInTheHurt wrote
    AAPG servers are now full of Cheaters and Macro users that ruin the game for everyone else with no repercussions.
    This is totally untrue our server is cheat free due to PB and -ACI- you can ask any player joining our server, its very rare we have a hacker on our server and if one does manage to get on due to making a different account he is soon caught and banned thanks to -ACI- and Punkbuster.
    I hope in the new AA5 the dev.s start to use -ACI- streaming on their servers if that happens maybe then we can see a end to hackers. If your servers are not streaming to -ACI- then give it a try and start to enjoy playing on your cheat free server again http://www.anticheatinc.net

I love using -ACI-.It helps protecting the servers very well, alot of options to catch cheat from players or protect clantag, good community, i support this and hope to see it in the next version of AA

I don't know how aci works but doesn't ACI ban by IP Address? So you can be cleaned today but if your ISP decides to hand you a new IP which was previously banned will that now make me look like I have cheated or is that not exactly how it works?
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,077Moderator
    edited August 2018
    I don't know how aci works but doesn't ACI ban by IP Address? So you can be cleaned today but if your ISP decides to hand you a new IP which was previously banned will that now make me look like I have cheated or is that not exactly how it works?

For the exact reason you stated, no one bans by ip.
    ACI uses IP to create a trackable history, it works pretty good, but it needs to be used by people understanding and knowing the system, simply sharing a ip with someone dont make them the same players, there are a lot of room for misunderstanding.
    If you really need to know how ACI's tools work, head over to their site and study up.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 378Player
    It'd be nice if there were some ammo caches scattered across certain maps. Similar to the shooting range you can just walk up to the ammo cache and refill your ammo. I dislike grabbing other weapons everytime my main weapon runs low.
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
  • PredictionPrediction Posts: 134Player
    It'd be nice if there were some ammo caches scattered across certain maps. Similar to the shooting range you can just walk up to the ammo cache and refill your ammo. I dislike grabbing other weapons everytime my main weapon runs low.

Not a fan of this idea. There is enough bullet spamming with the ammo we are provided not sure we need more of this.
    edited August 2018
    Weapon/ammo caches are only good in respawn type games. Rounds are too quick to need an ammo cache, and if you do run out of ammo you can loot dead bodies anyway.

Oh by the way, if we're going to go down the path of having unique OPFor weapons, please make them all be 7.62 weapons. Having 5.56 weapons on OpFor makes them worthless to pick up. 7.62 would give more damage, but also more recoil/harder to control. Some players would take the trade-off.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    Problem with caches is it will change the dynamics of the game.
    Run and gun rambo with grenade spam will be the norm because players know just around the corner spawns a weapons cache to recharge on.
    Picking up weapons that have been dropped by dead players is far better as it makes the player take responsibility for their gameplay style while being more tactical.
    1.jpg
    What if it's one use?
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 645Player
    What if it's one use?

It looks like you mostly play with the M14, so I can't really relate to that. How much ammunition do you start with in total?

I can say that there have been very few rounds where I've run out of ammo on my M4.
  • -=DA=-instinks-=DA=-instinks Posts: 11Player
    edited August 2018
    Came into forum expecting to see nothing of interest just like the past year or so. Found this thread - good stuff and welcome Hollywood. I'd wait three years if it means there is even a 10% chance this game lives again.

Gameplay mechanics that would make the game successful have been discussed at length on these forums... but I think another component this game lacks is just pure marketing. If the Army wants to get this / the new game in front of people, they should do a better job. My folks were reading the newspaper one morning and saw an advertisement for a free video game... Americas Army 1.x … that is how I found the game. The newspaper example is obviously ancient. But the post referring to Twitch streamers, etc. is a good idea.... How many people who play this game would even known about it if they are not loyal returning people from former AA versions? While there are certainly a few people here and lurking the forums, I'd guess the percentage of people who played AAPG without previously playing the original AA is small -- I'd view that as a negative thing. You have a loyal fanbase who will come back... but there's also a world of people out there who are sick of respawn/pubg/cod-like garbage.
    ss_4_-%3DDA%3D-Instinks.png
    edited August 2018
    What if it's one use?

It looks like you mostly play with the M14, so I can't really relate to that. How much ammunition do you start with in total?

I can say that there have been very few rounds where I've run out of ammo on my M4.
    What if it's one use?

You get three clips including the one already in your gun, each with 21 bullets. It can take anywhere from 1 (headshot at semi long range) to 8-12 shots just to kill a person, and that's assuming you're hitting all of em. When you're engaging head on you can fire 15 rounds at a guy without killing him. if he's shooting back. Also if a person is jumping they typically take significantly less damage as well for some reason. After 4 kills I typically have less than 21 rounds left.
    Army SROTC Cadet

P0asKE2.jpg
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    It can take anywhere from 1 (headshot at semi long range) to 8-12 shots just to kill a person, and that's assuming you're hitting all of em. When you're engaging head on you can fire 15 rounds at a guy without killing him. if he's shooting back. Also if a person is jumping they typically take significantly less damage as well for some reason.

A lot of that has to do with the poorly optimised netcode and hit detection found in AAPG.
    It often feels like 1 in every 3 bullets does damage.
    1.jpg
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,621Beta Tester
    Stop missing the target.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy Posts: 376Beta Tester
    All I care about is there be a Pizza Parlor on every map!!!! I get quite hungry laying around dead all the time!!!
    One day I will graduate noob school!!!
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!