Some suggestions for this game to be a realistic military simulator

Comments

• LWOF_BrOkenArrowLWOF_BrOkenArrow Posts: 304Player
    I'm sure all soldiers in the military are given knowledge on basic first Aid. Having a single person do the work puts too much responsibility on a single individual.
    Teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy other people to shoot at

P0asKE2.jpg
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 631Player
    Iwanczuk wrote: »
    You clearly didn't read his post.

My english is not very good, but you said people wouldn't want to play as a medic.

I aswered, then make the game to force people to play as a medic, randomly.

Just like today players are forced to play as the VIP although they may don't want to...

He actually said the medic would likely be under constant verbal attack by his teammates over how to play or demands to be picked up. In most situations a player would be trying their best, but still would likely end up being verbally attacked and voted out of the position.
  • IwanczukIwanczuk Posts: 10Player
    You clearly didn't read his post.

My english is not very good, but you said people wouldn't want to play as a medic.

I aswered, then make the game to force people to play as a medic, randomly.

Just like today players are forced to play as the VIP although they may don't want to...

He actually said the medic would likely be under constant verbal attack by his teammates over how to play or demands to be picked up. In most situations a player would be trying their best, but still would likely end up being verbally attacked and voted out of the position.

Understood, that's why they should remove arcade reviving feature.
  • }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 656Administrator
    Umm. No!
    Umm. No!

I feel like the game would play better in most cases without revives and a reduction in round time. At least no revive on HS. In my opinion, the worst servers are the ones that have 2 or more revives per round. The scoreboard would be slightly less comical if every down didn't count as a whole death.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,054Player
    If you're trying to keep things realistic, I don't think medics even belong in a squad or fireteam. Since AA always was at a squad level, medics actually belong at the platoon level.

Anyway, a round based AA5 should go back to its roots and bring back the squad structure. A full squad is 11 guys, then you can add two for a sniper + spotter (max of 13v13).

No medics, no revives. If you get shot, you can bandage yourself to slow the bleeding, teammates can stop the bleeding. Any player who is knocked out of combat will bleed to death over time, and a teammate can stop the bleeding to stabilize their injuries. Player does not come back into combat. Team gains points for saving their downed teammates at the end of each round.

Another thing you could even explore is team based "perks" that can be activated during the game based on certain team play actions. May seem CoD-like, but it could be an interesting way to tip the balance of the game. If as a team, you save your downed teammates, it could trip a bonus over time. Same can be done with various other teamplay things. Once its tripped, the squad leader can then use the bonus. So for example, in an outdoor map, you may be able to get a helicopter come in and attack enemies or maybe a humvee or tank. Indoor maps maybe give your team some other type of perk. In essence, team play bonuses can give the team a game/match changing perk for a single round. It would be a great way to get teams to complete team play type objectives since there's an incentive beyond just points. A team that's playing more team oriented can get those big perks while the team that's just straight DMing won't.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,496Beta Tester
    I don't think we should wait for the Army to fund the Devs on this. Let's build our own game with the Unreal engine development tools!! They're free until we make money with our game!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 626Player
    If I'm in charge Keebler, I'm down.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 178Player
    America's Army has never been a MilSim and never will be.
    America's Army is a Recruitment tool designed to suck in all them poor little young darlings into the US Military.
    Where do you draw the line for realism? Is it ArmA or is it Counter Strike? Even Solitaire can be dicey with all them paper cuts!
    People want a quick and easy "jump in and win" games. People don't want high entry barrier games requiring you to read a thesis manual along with uber skills just to run around a map and have fun.
    Community creates the gameplay. In America's Army you can join servers where no one talks and your flamed for dying, or you can join servers that are vocally supportive and kind.

My reply to Keebler750 is;
    Do we need another half baked unoptimised laggy first person shooter made on Unreal Engine 4?
    My answer is no...
    35d2uec.png
    America's Army has never been a MilSim and never will be.
    America's Army is a Recruitment tool designed to suck in all them poor little young darlings into the US Military.
    Where do you draw the line for realism? Is it ArmA or is it Counter Strike? Even Solitaire can be dicey with all them paper cuts!
    People want a quick and easy "jump in and win" games. People don't want high entry barrier games requiring you to read a thesis manual along with uber skills just to run around a map and have fun.
    Community creates the gameplay. In America's Army you can join servers where no one talks and your flamed for dying, or you can join servers that are vocally supportive and kind.

My reply to Keebler750 is;
    Do we need another half baked unoptimised laggy first person shooter made on Unreal Engine 4?
    My answer is no...

I think they should take steps to increase the skill ceiling. As it sits right now, there's not a huge learning curve to the game, especially compared to CSGO.

I'd suggest:
    • Get rid of the suppression effects from gunfire. Stop rewarding people for missing.
    • Get rid of the suppression effects from nades, or at least significantly reduce it.
    • Significantly decrease the visual effect of a flashbang that's not in your field of view. Flashbangs can be cooked. Make people throw them well.
    • Get rid of the exponentially increasing recoil with low HP. The penalty for low HP is low HP.
    • Consider reducing the radius on frag grenades. As with flashes, grenades can be cooked, so a good throw should be required.
    • Either remove supported positions or take further steps to balance them. Being able to strafe while ADS and firing is absurd. Minimal recoil, mostly behind cover and the ability to move from side to side while firing? What's the downside? I'd suggest at the very least forcing a dismount and remount animation to move. Possibly make ducking for cover take longer.
    • Maps built for specific loadouts. AAPG allows for too many zoom optics per side, in my opinion. I also liked the predefined spawn points for each fire team position for AA2.

I'm sure I can come up with more, but those are the main ones that come to mind for me.
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 372Developer
    I think they should take steps to increase the skill ceiling. As it sits right now, there's not a huge learning curve to the game, especially compared to CSGO.

I'd suggest:
    • Get rid of the suppression effects from gunfire. Stop rewarding people for missing.
    • Get rid of the suppression effects from nades, or at least significantly reduce it.
    • Significantly decrease the visual effect of a flashbang that's not in your field of view. Flashbangs can be cooked. Make people throw them well.
    • Get rid of the exponentially increasing recoil with low HP. The penalty for low HP is low HP.
    • Consider reducing the radius on frag grenades. As with flashes, grenades can be cooked, so a good throw should be required.
    • Either remove supported positions or take further steps to balance them. Being able to strafe while ADS and firing is absurd. Minimal recoil, mostly behind cover and the ability to move from side to side while firing? What's the downside? I'd suggest at the very least forcing a dismount and remount animation to move. Possibly make ducking for cover take longer.
    • Maps built for specific loadouts. AAPG allows for too many zoom optics per side, in my opinion. I also liked the predefined spawn points for each fire team position for AA2.

I'm sure I can come up with more, but those are the main ones that come to mind for me.

I agree with all of this fyi
    edited August 2018
    Back in the day, I remember recommending making front attachments for the M4; one of those attachments being the bipod. Using the bipod would be the only way to mount your rifle. Would have brought some balance to mounting.
    edited August 2018

I'd suggest:

Personally I'm not too sure how flash bangs would effect you if you're not looking at em when they go off. So I can't say whether that'd be realistic or not.

I think suppression effects are fine as is. Sure, with gunfiring one could say it's rewarding people for missing, but another could argue it's rewarding people for firing in the direction of the enemy consistently.

Suppression effect for the grenade is self-explanatory.

Low HP means low performance/ability.

If frags have a lower blast radius than I suggest some other attribute be improved. Perhaps the throwing range since.

(Do supported positions work on PS4?). Can't comment on that one.

Maps are already built for specific loadouts. There's not a single map that doesn't benefit each loadout in some way. There's always a good vantage point for snipers and DMRs. Lots of CQC for rifleman and machine gunners (it's not feasible for machine gunners to engage from afar, as the SAW is inaccurate)

Giving different classes different spawn points wouldn't work cause the maps weren't designed for that. Not to mention that it takes away from the player's ability to choose where he/she wants to be This is essential in combat,

P0asKE2.jpg
    My thought a while back for suppression is that it should build over time. If bullets wiz by you for a while the effects gradually build. If just a few shots pass by there's no suppression. The idea would be that it would only really kick in if someone's shooting near you for a while. It would make sense only in the sense that if someone is spamming by the cover that you're near it would gradually build but in a normal gunfight it would not have a chance to impact you at all. This would make cover fire have use, but not negatively impact skill in gunfights.
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    My thought a while back for suppression is that it should build over time. If bullets wiz by you for a while the effects gradually build. If just a few shots pass by there's no suppression. The idea would be that it would only really kick in if someone's shooting near you for a while. It would make sense only in the sense that if someone is spamming by the cover that you're near it would gradually build but in a normal gunfight it would not have a chance to impact you at all. This would make cover fire have use, but not negatively impact skill in gunfights.

Makes sense to me.

I'd suggest:

Personally I'm not too sure how flash bangs would effect you if you're not looking at em when they go off. So I can't say whether that'd be realistic or not.

I think suppression effects are fine as is. Sure, with gunfiring one could say it's rewarding people for missing, but another could argue it's rewarding people for firing in the direction of the enemy consistently.

Suppression effect for the grenade is self-explanatory.

Low HP means low performance/ability.

If frags have a lower blast radius than I suggest some other attribute be improved. Perhaps the throwing range since.

(Do supported positions work on PS4?). Can't comment on that one.

Maps are already built for specific loadouts. There's not a single map that doesn't benefit each loadout in some way. There's always a good vantage point for snipers and DMRs. Lots of CQC for rifleman and machine gunners (it's not feasible for machine gunners to engage from afar, as the SAW is inaccurate)

Giving different classes different spawn points wouldn't work cause the maps weren't designed for that. Not to mention that it takes away from the player's ability to choose where he/she wants to be This is essential in combat,

I'm less concerned with realism than I'm concerned with making a good game.

Flashbangs can be cooked in this game. You can literally, if cooked and thrown properly, have a flash go off exactly when and where you want it to. You should have to put it in someone's field of view to get a significant effect. The fact that you can put flashes behind people and still completely blind them lessens the value of skill in throwing flashes. The same is true of grenades. I don't think there needs to be an buff to grenades to compensate for a radius reduction. They're already OP.

Whiplash made a good suggestion as far as suppression goes. The problem with how it currently works is that someone can, with not very many shots, essentially blind you in a gunfight even though they're missing their M249 shots. The grenade suppression effects are a little better, but they're still overly effective through walls/floors.

Exponentially increasing RANDOM recoil with low HP drastically lowers the impact of skill in an engagement. That's a fact. You're already at a disadvantage being a 1-2 hit kill. Random in almost every case means less skill. People here have suggested a random variance in grenade throws to counter people learning set nades. Suggestions like that are just absurd.

Maps aren't built for specific loadouts. With the exception of some BDX maps not having an M24, every map has the same roles. There are way too many zoom optics available. Looking back to AA2, maps were built knowing there would be a sniper or an M203.

AA2 had set spawn positions for each squad position. The available fire teams scaled up and down with the player count. Again, maps were designed for this.
    When I say that every map benefits certain roles I mean that there are areas within the map that are better suited for certain roles/specific loadouts. This is the same concept of having maps designed for certain loadouts, and is also much better. It's amazing what results you get when all classes work together to accomplish the mission.

P0asKE2.jpg
    When I say that every map benefits certain roles I mean that there are areas within the map that are better suited for certain roles/specific loadouts. This is the same concept of having maps designed for certain loadouts, and is also much better. It's amazing what results you get when all classes work together to accomplish the mission.

Not really. The M4 is basically the king of every situation.
    All I use is the M14, and in most situations it makes the M4 look like a scrub weapon :awesome:

It's really all about how you play, and what the situation is. M14 is arguably better than the M24 when it comes to long range engagements. M14 can also excell in mid range combat if you know how to use it right. M14 can be used in CQC as well, but it's not as effective as say a shotgun, SAW, or M4 ( I can still kill folks who're in my face though).

M4 and SAW are sorta in the same boat. They're the best at mid range, but will lose almost everytime against a M14 or M24 in longrange (assuming both sides are the same skill level) and lose in extreme cqc against the shotgun.

P0asKE2.jpg
  • tigerlilytigerlily Posts: 8Player
    The M4 is basically the king of every situation.

Artillery is the king of battle.
    - tigerlily -
    coldfurnace.com
  • SouthernSpartanSouthernSpartan Posts: 2Player
    edited September 2018
    Remove revive feature. When you get shoot to death, you're dead, just wait for the next round.

Remove kill hud. If you kill someone through leaves, wood, heavy fog, or anything else, you must personally check it. (Show score at the end of the game)

Remove hip crosshair.

Also add classic AK-47 for terrorists would be amazing!

Game has 300+ players for pc, adding these things will make it 20+ players.

I don't think so, it will attract people that are searching for a close combat simulator experience. Who aren't playing the game right now because although the game is realistic in many ways, it still has too much arcade features as mentioned.

I don't think it's a bad idea, if you get shot in the head or vital organs you're dead, but, if you get hit in the limbs or side, and you "die" I think revive is fine. And also, while removing hip crosshair would make it more realistic, the game doesn't offer realistic hip perspective like real life, if you want no hip crosshair, maybe make it an option that you can change in settings. I don't think adding slight variations to you ideas would drop the number of people, I think it would increase it quite a bit. This game is almost as close as you can get for Military Simulation, and I think they are getting closer.