Do Devs have jurisdiction in private servers?

I have witnessed/recorded conclusive illicit (hacking) play in a private server, but the admins are protecting the perpetrating member. I have submitted a report through /abuse, but I want to seek clarification for what the protocol is in these situations. Somehow, "just find another server" seems like an injustice, given that the overwhelming majority of players expect fair-play from others, regardless of whether the server is public or private.

Comments

• m_hermannm_hermann Posts: 604Moderator
    If it's a private server, it's their rules. Generally, but not completely.
    If it's a PB enabled server, they probably weren't cheating.
  • POTATO.reductionPOTATO.reduction Posts: 6Player
    It is a PB-enabled server.
    They were cheating. Not many hacks are blatant, but no weapon sway/recoil when ADS is.
    Many cheats are PB-undetectable.

Anyway, the only solution is to play official only then. I suspect many (ex)players bemoan this reality.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,413Beta Tester
    Why would you want to play on a server that not only the players, but the ADMINS are worthless??? Find a better server. Not every admin turns a blind eye or condones that stuff.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    I don't want to. That's just where players are, and where pings are reasonable for the west coast.
  • L0rdDamianL0rdDamian Posts: 690Player
    edited July 2018
    m_hermann wrote: »

This is the weirdest and kinda dumbest comment ever seen.. Also explains why you see a couple cheaters every week in the official servers.. Because he! We run PB so we must be safe now!.. Running PB doesn't mean the players are clean, if you only knew how easy it is to bypass PB..
    I have witnessed/recorded conclusive illicit (hacking) play in a private server, but the admins are protecting the perpetrating member..

Happens a lot, even when I say the guy is cheating.. Most admins just say "whatever, you are just mad because he kills you over and over.".. Best part of that, 2 weeks later he was on a official MBL :lol:
  • -pR|Arkeiro-pR|Arkeiro Posts: 726Player
    edited July 2018
    I imagine wha tserver we talking about here. I have sent a report abuse of a beta tester defending their son, which is known hacker (multiple bans). Also that same person offended me and who ever accused the hacker.
    Sadly, theres nothing you can do but to switch servers.
    As you can see, here on the forums, there are many clueless players, and most of them are moderators and betas. Not much hope for a game like this.

Over 1.1k Golden Hawkeyes.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,991Player
    lol @ punkbuster. A major game release hasn't used it in over 3 years. It's outdated and just plain awful.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • OICURMT!OICURMT! Posts: 75Beta Tester
    edited July 2018
    no weapon sway/recoil

How do you know? Spectate views are not accurate at all... for specific reasons.

--

In life, there is no respawn... why should there be in a game?
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 605Player
    Betas and Moderators are wrong. If the player is modifying the game, Devs should (and have in the past) perma banned players.

To say PB kills all cheats is very naive and sort of sad, especially from someone with a position of power on the forum. To say to just find another server is also very short-sighted. I'd bet that OP is banned from several "private" servers...and unfortunately, since official servers are pretty much a wasteland, we're being forced to either:

1) not play
    2) sandbag in private servers to avoid hackusations/ban

How many servers are available out there, right now, with players in them, with less than 130ish ping?

Here, let me check and run some numbers:

-20 occupied servers with less than 150 ping for me right now. (And this is probably way more than in NA)

-8 of those servers are 24/7 inner hospital

-3 are 24/7 Bridge servers (I didn't know that was still a thing)

-1 of those servers is a UMM server

- 4 of those servers are Official servers. They are terribly laggy right now. They switch to at FLO at 13 people, regardless of what the original 12 players want...wait, you can stay BDX, but the only option is to is play the same map on repeat (this still exists despite several cries from the BDX population.)

That leaves 4 other servers: 3 BDX and 1 FLO.

I'm banned from 1 of the BDX servers and the 1 remaining FLO server.

So...really, I have 2 servers to choose from at this point. So, find another server, or play hospital/bridge exclusively (probably also leading to a ban considering how easy those maps are).

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,413Beta Tester
    The problem with all of our arguing is that WE need to build the community REGARDLESS of what the Devs do. Instead, what we seem to have done is take our ball and go home if the Devs don't do what we think they should. And not only that, but poison the well for everyone else while we're at it.

I like most of the Devs I get to interact with and don't blame any of them for the decisions that someone needed to make above them. Anyone who does blame them is just a narrowminded or malicious individual with no concept of project management heirarchy.

There ARE issues that I don't agree with, but I'm pretty upset that a lot of people would rather win an argument than make better the things that we can. It is what it is. What can we do to make it better as players? I'm tired of people with valid complaints tearing everything down rather than trying to make something of what we have. And here, I have a pointed accusation:

I've done my part, what little it is, but you competitive folk have torn this game down, not the Devs. Every time you told someone this game sucked, accused the Devs and Betas, and played armchair industry expert, you took the feet out from under this game.

REGARDLESS of the valid complaints.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,165Player
    edited July 2018
    Keebler on top of topping my post count! you do know that there's not been a dry eye in the house since AA2? Most vocalists feel that when opportunity knocked, nobody seemed bothered to answer the door. Now all people wanna do is kick it down, that is if they aint already.

Asking for or even wanting community growth after all this time, is akin to asking for a miracle. Nothing anyone can do now but suck it up. What has been, was.. and what was, has been. Also, Soon (as we have all come to know and love/hate) has never been soon enough.

Hope the devs know that adding knives would have fixed all this. We'd also have a million active players.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

Keebler750 wrote: »
    The problem with all of our arguing is that WE need to build the community REGARDLESS of what the Devs do. Instead, what we seem to have done is take our ball and go home if the Devs don't do what we think they should. And not only that, but poison the well for everyone else while we're at it.

I have yet to see a community, virtual or not, that functions and thrives without a social contract. But a contract is only efficacious if it is enforced by a legitimate governing entity. The idea that "I won't cheat if you don't" is fundamental to pretty much every gaming community. What varies from game to game is the enforcement of this contract. What would you suggest individual members of a community do when they experience a breach of fairness? Without a social Leviathan, a war of all against all is inevitable if we took things into our own hands. Should we TK people who we think are cheating? Would they retaliate?

"So find another server." That solution only works if you neglect the localization of the player-base in private, under-regulated servers.

In short, we can only so much to build the community before people realize that other communities are far better regulated. A solution that would be specific to my original post would just be Dev involvement in private server affairs. I don't think I'm just complaining for the sake of complaining here.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,991Player
    edited July 2018
    Keebler750 wrote: »

Sorry man, but this is a video game. None of us will lose anything if America's Army Proving Grounds is not a hit game. The fact that any of us are still posting here occasionally shows that we still care in some way for the game/brand, but that doesn't mean that we're going to be spending all of our time to be evangelists for a video game whose PC version is, for all intents and purposes, dead.

I haven't played this game consistently for about a year and a half, maybe longer. Some of the PC players still posting here are those who were around back when AAPG first started out or are from the old days of AA and are hoping that eventually a new version will happen. If that happens, then sure, we'll try to help grow the community... but on a five year old game that hasn't seen consistent growth in almost 3 years and has had little development in that time frame as well? Good luck.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • You are going to have to come up with better proof than just a video cause it can be edited.....and like the guy said early....
    OICURMT! wrote: »
    no weapon sway/recoil

How do you know? Spectate views are not accurate at all... for specific reasons.

no weapon sway/recoil

I would like to address this important point with an unconvincing anecdote:

Probably half of my 3500 hrs in AAPG have been on the sidelines, spectating others (if I were better, it would be less than half). Of that, I've witnessed no sway/no recoil only a handful of times. That accounts for maybe 0.01% of the time. I do not tout these numbers to sound impressive or to claim that I am an expert.

On the contrary, I want to say that you are right. How do I know, since I have no knowledge of the game's inner workings? Is it possible that the 0.01% of time, spectator mode shows no sway as a glitch? Of course. So even though I have spectated this particular player on multiple different occasions, the result being the same each time, how could I really know? The answer is that I cannot. But this does not detract from my argument--instead, it greatly suggests the need for oversight from developers, who in fact have a transcendental understanding.

• You are going to have to come up with better proof than just a video cause it can be edited.....and like the guy

Well with that kind of comment i don't think that any "better proof" is going to meet your minimum requirements, hence the question if a third party can check on the report in a private server.
  • L0rdDamianL0rdDamian Posts: 690Player
    edited August 2018
    Do me a favor, and send the video link in a private message to me.. I want to see what you are talking about, and if you are curious on how I would know? 25 years FPS experience :lol:

EDIT:

Thank you for sending that video, not only did he had No Sway/No Recoil by looking how he plays and looking true the walls first before he peeks every corner I would say he is full on multihack mode.

You are going to have to come up with better proof than just a video cause it can be edited.....and like the guy said early....

Normally I would agree, it's hard to watch accurate shots from players when in spectator position. However, he did not record from the buggy spectator view, he recorded him while dead in his team. Now you could say still spectator mode but I guarantee that its more accurate than spectator position if recorded while in that players team.

None the less, the video that they showed me is crystal clear. He is cheating.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 623Player
    edited August 2018
    m_hermann wrote: »

Incredible. This is just an idiotic statement. I'm not saying you're an idiot, but this particular post is just laughably stupid.
    You are going to have to come up with better proof than just a video cause it can be edited.....

I've streamed myself spectating at least one cheater on Twitch in the past (and showed the pb_plist on stream) so there would be no doubt it was legit.
  • Well if all of y'all are convinced.....then I suggest y'all need to catch him the ole fashion way with a good screen shot.....cause video does not convince me.....and if the player is cheating... then sooner or later they will be caught .....cause they mess up they always do =)
  • -pR|Arkeiro-pR|Arkeiro Posts: 726Player
    Well if all of y'all are convinced.....then I suggest y'all need to catch him the ole fashion way with a good screen shot.....cause video does not convince me.....and if the player is cheating... then sooner or later they will be caught .....cause they mess up they always do =)

Santa claus exist after all.

Over 1.1k Golden Hawkeyes.
This discussion has been closed.