reshade ban

MapedMaped Posts: 9Player
Hello O Great Ones!
I am a regular player that has joined AA community years ago when AA1 came out. Few months ago I came back to play AAPG. It is one of the best games due to one of the greatest communities I have ever met online. Thank you for that!
Yet… There are some problems that I encountered lately. I have been banned by one of the "server security" teams called "ACI" ( www.anticheatinc.net ). They did ban me from "their" servers (the ones that stream pbss data to ACI) because I use ReShade software ( www.reshade.me ). This tool allows to inject shaders over existing frames in game. It works similarly to instagram filters. I use it to record gorgeous videos with bloom, lens flare, tilt shift and few other "candy" effects. Examples - www.imgur.com/a/5eShPho
All advantages that it might provide could be accomplished by driver or screen settings but most of its possibilities are just for beautifying what you can see.
Here is my short discussion with one of the ReShade developers: www.reshade.me/forum/general-discussion/4442-reshade-ban-d#28679
ReShade creates few files in the game directory. One of these files is d3d9.dll which apparently is sometimes hooked to cheats. Of course as I installed ReShade I was not aware that just having a file that might be connected to cheats could lead to a ban.
So.. My question is:
What is the official stance of Army Game Studio on using ReShade or any software that creates additional files in the game directory?

Regards,
Maped

Comments

• TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Official Statement: Do not use it.

There are just too many variables and ways to exploit with it, so we can't allow it.

A good rule of thumb with online games "don't modify anything".
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• MapedMaped Posts: 9Player
    edited July 13
    Ok. I already did uninstall ReShade and reinstall AAPG.
    Is it reasonable to kick a player just for having a file d3d9 and without providing any screenshot or video of him cheating?
    "don't modify anything" is a good rule of thumb but Is there any information that I missed about putting files in game directory?

btw my GUID - 00000000000000076561197978143927
  • }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 622Administrator
    This is an ACI matter and has nothing to do with the Devs and Admins to the game. I would keep this in mind for most games. If you need to record use something like overwolf. It does not alter anything. In this case you need to take it up with ACI.
    As Gorilla said, you'll have to talk to ACI about the ban. They are an independent third party group so we do not control the bans or policies on servers that use their tools.

edited July 13
    I already am discussing this matter with EvenBalance, PBBans, ReShade devs and ofc ACI members.
    This is an ACI matter and has nothing to do with the Devs and Admins to the game. I would keep this in mind for most games. If you need to record use something like overwolf. It does not alter anything. In this case you need to take it up with ACI.

you are wrong… I am asking here to get answers from game developers because as I understand cheating it is the best place to ask. Cheating is naturally exploiting, hacking, changing or adding new game mechanics that are unintended by creators. That's why I am asking devs for opinion.

To record videos I use ShadowPlay by nVidia. It captures the vid memory straight from the gfx card with almost no impact on fps.
    ReShade is not a recording software. It allows stuff like this - www.imgur.com/a/5eShPho
  • nL^Z0naGaming_nL^Z0naGaming_ Posts: 660Player
    edited July 13
    Maped wrote: »
    his tool allows to inject shaders over existing frames in game.

Any tool that injects itself into the game is a bannable offense, some will say that ReShade isn't but there are ways to modify it so it can be used in malicious ways.
    So don't use any injectors period.

Is it reasonable to kick a player just for having a file d3d9 and without providing any screenshot or video of him cheating?

Most definitely yes, d3d9.dll is being used a lot if it comes to cheating.
    his tool allows to inject shaders over existing frames in game.

Any tool that injects itself into the game is a bannable offense, some will say that ReShade isn't but there are ways to modify it so it can be used in malicious ways.
    So don't use any injectors period.

Most definitely yes, d3d9.dll is being used a lot if it comes to cheating.

Ok... I get that this file i being used a lot if it comes to cheating. But has it been used to cheat by me? No. Did I modify ReShade so I could use it in malicious ways? Nope. Is there a way to prove it to any third partygroup? I have no idea. Any suggestions?

@TheTots (you edited the part about eula but i think it is still rellevant)
    EULA (and here)
    point 2:
    You agree not to modify, decompile, disassemble, or otherwise reverse engineer the Software.
    Adding screen overlay is not much of a modification isn't it? I could get the same effect by overriding gfx driver setting. What is the difference? I get smoother results with ReShade. I shouldn't be banned for using a gfx card driver.

Just to be clear… I do not expect anyone to revoke that ban. I really don't care since ACI is used on few servers. I am trying to understand what are the community rules, what is the good enough reason to ban someone and who's credibility is at stake here. xD
    You could be using reshade for all the right reasons. You could just as easily be using it for nefarious purposes. Same files / software work both ways. It is that ambiguity that we can't have.

• [soldier][soldier] Posts: 67Player
    I really don't care since ACI is used on few servers.

Hmmm... that's not what you said on your ban appeal:
    Maped wrote:
    The community of this game is really small so half of the popular servers use ACI. Now I can play on only few.

Actually it's more than half. Way more.

But there are always the official servers if you insist on not creating a new Steam account.
    edited July 13
    O! At last I have your attention. Maybe read my PM's on ACI? Any answer/explanation would be much appreciated.
    [soldier] wrote: »
    I really don't care since ACI is used on few servers.

Hmmm... that's not what you said on your ban appeal:
    Maped wrote:
    The community of this game is really small so half of the popular servers use ACI. Now I can play on only few.
    Half of the POPULAR servers. :> With such small community it is still a lot of possible (not perma empty) servers.
    TheTots wrote: »
    You could be using reshade for all the right reasons. You could just as easily be using it for nefarious purposes. Same files / software work both ways. It is that ambiguity that we can't have.

Now I know that. There should be a huge neon sticker on ReShade website that says "MAY GET YOU BANNED!!1".
    There are so many ways to stop players from cheating nowadays (CSGO overwatch, VAC,, even Warden). Are none of these applicable to AA?
    CSGO doesn't allow ReShade either. That's kind of the standard for online competitive games as far as I'm aware.
    As far as anti-cheat, we have that in the form of PunkBuster. VAC works essentially the same as PB in function, and Warden is proprietary to Blizzard.

We've looked at other anti-cheat options in the past, but have decided to stick with PB for this version of AA.

Future games may have a different AC software.

edited July 13
    CSGO does not allow ReShade but does allow Vibrance GUI and as far as I know even SweetFX which is basically the same thing as ReShade.
    nVidia drivers allow to mess with sharpness, vibrance even edge enhancements in 3D applications. Advanced 3D setting may be used to override the applications settings easily. This is exactly what all above easily accessible apps are intended to do. I think that there should be a good guideline on how to distinguish legit ReShade from modified one.

In response to my concern one of ReShade devs wrote:
    All of this only applies to the official release of ReShade (can be easily checked by comparing the file hashes).
    https://reshade.me/forum/general-discussion/4442-reshade-ban-d#28677
    @[soldier] So how can we check it?
  • nL^Z0naGaming_nL^Z0naGaming_ Posts: 660Player
    edited July 13
    TheTots wrote: »

Now I know that. There should be a huge neon sticker on ReShade website that says "MAY GET YOU BANNED!!1".

Any third party software that uses injection or adding files to the game folder will have the potential to get you banned, in some cases even global bans.

In response to my concern one of ReShade devs wrote:
    All of this only applies to the official release of ReShade (can be easily checked by comparing the file hashes).

Sure it could be checked, but the fact remains that ReShade uses d3d9.dll. And with anti-cheat organisations we don't care if it's part of legal software or illegal software, a permanent ban will be given to the players GUID that triggered a red flag.

EDIT: Just to clarify, we do care if it's unfair. What I mean with it is we don't care if its a legal software adding files like d3d9.dll to the game folder and that triggers the red flag. Those bans will stay.

The only thing you can do right now, make a new account on americasarmy.com and never use any third party software. Even to make the game nicer, it's not worthed to put yourself in that position.
    edited July 13
    Any third party software that uses injection or adding files to the game folder will have the potential to get you banned, in some cases even global bans.
    Well... I also use fl.ux and AutoHotKey because I work a lot on my PC. These are turned on all the time. It does affect the image vibrance and my keyboard response and macros to stop/start recording videos and I don't see any bans coming based on that.
    (heh... I bet it just triggered twitch in some AC admins brain :P)
    Sure it could be checked, but the fact remains that ReShade uses d3d9.dll. And with anti-cheat organisations we don't care if it's part of legal software or illegal software, a permanent ban will be given to the players GUID that triggered a red flag.

EDIT: Just to clarify, we do care if it's unfair. What I mean with it is we don't care if its a legal software adding files like d3d9.dll to the game folder and that triggers the red flag. Those bans will stay.
    I think that if you would believe it is unfair, as AC admins you would first check what cheats you can detect without any doubt. If there is still a reason to believe that the suspect is cheating your AC soft should be able to retrieve suspected files as it does with PB screenshots. I am happy to share my copy of ReShade files with you, but still I doubt that it will influence anyone's decision because of AC's community zero-tolerance-even-if-in-doubt policy. Files that I already send to ACI staff - www.dropbox.com/sh/odbsumlkmjehs57/AAAPWdvC0aDrPOKuROeZmI1Ya?dl=0
    The only thing you can do right now, make a new account on americasarmy.com and never use any third party software. Even to make the game nicer, it's not worthed to put yourself in that position.
    I won't :> I will just stay away from ACI servers.