Crossplay

I'm sure this has been talked about, but I couldn't find any threads in a search.

I realize there are things PC has that PS4 doesn't. Maps, mechanics, etc. PS4 also plays 8v8, which shhfiftyfive and I suggested for PC four years ago. Has any thought been put into setting up crossplay? I have no idea of the technical issues involved. Obviously there's the issue of controllers versus a mouse and keyboard. I think if it's at all possible, it should be done. PC is hurting badly for players, and having more players to compete against could also bring PC players back to the game.

What features does the PC version currently have that's not on PS? Leaning for one, but what else?

I just wanted to bring it up. I know it's a completely different type of game, but I'd hate to imagine the PC player counts, especially on the villain side, of DC Universe Online if they didn't do crossplay with PC and PS playing together.

Comments

• TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Crossplay won't happen. Just doesn't work for skill shooters. The controller + KB/M disparity is just too much.

As to feature differences there aren't that many. The PS4 doesn't have lean, shoot houses, or a server browser. It also doesn't have all the maps that the PC version has. Weapon behavior and damage models are different as well to give a better feel to controller play.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• doogle!doogle! Posts: 487Player
    Never say Never Tots. There is one way it would work: a ranked mode/ELO system.

Maybe you don't even have to assign actual ranks to it, but a hidden ELO system for a Quick Match queue and a check box for Cross-Platform Play. If Mr. Controller-Hands is skilled enough to contend with a low skill/ELO M/KB player, bring it.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 396Player
    doogle! wrote: »
    Never say Never Tots. There is one way it would work: a ranked mode/ELO system.

Maybe you don't even have to assign actual ranks to it, but a hidden ELO system for a Quick Match queue and a check box for Cross-Platform Play. If Mr. Controller-Hands is skilled enough to contend with a low skill/ELO M/KB player, bring it.

I would assume that if it were to happen, they'd have to add a server browser to PS4. Unless private servers were included in the queue. Either way, it seems like this is unfortunately an extremely unlikely scenario.

I certainly understand the reasoning, but it's certainly disappointing for PC player counts.
    Also, I've watched some PS4 streams. You could give a lot of those players an aimbot and they'd still be a free kill. Absolutely no awareness. A bot would be more effective. I don't think they're being handicapped by a controller. lol

I still think it's something you guys should further consider. Perhaps giving PS players the option of opting out of crossplay if they choose to.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,165Beta Tester
    How would you deal with the fact that PC players can lean-peak a corner?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • doogle!doogle! Posts: 487Player
    I'd enable it on PS4. EZ PZ [Dev]doogle
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    How would you deal with the fact that PC players can lean-peak a corner?

That depends on the reason for why it was excluded. I use lean quite a bit, but the ability to quick lean and shoot around corners only feels like an exploit. I would personally rather have a higher player base at the cost of the ability to lean if that's what it would take.

What I'm most curious about is the differences in weapon behavior and damage models.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Player health and time to kill is different on console to make it "feel" better. Because everything moves more slowly you want more time to react to being shot since you can't just flick.

Lean and supported were removed for controller real estate reasons and to improve gameplay flow.
    We wanted to shape gameplay to be more active and less campy.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

TheTots wrote: »
    Player health and time to kill is different on console to make it "feel" better. Because everything moves more slowly you want more time to react to being shot since you can't just flick.

Lean and supported were removed for controller real estate reasons and to improve gameplay flow.
    We wanted to shape gameplay to be more active and less campy.

I'm curious as to how removing lean on PC would feel. It was already in the game when I started playing. I've argued for supported positions to be removed for years. I know there's a server option, but nobody uses it. I had a server for a few months and had supported positions disabled, but it's tough to go against the established servers that everyone's used to when the player base is as low as it is. Honestly, I could easily see PC go without both.

Like you said, the advantage of a keyboard and mouse may be too much for this to ever work, but if something could be worked out, such as doogle's suggestion, I'd hope it would be looked into.
  • Odin[DK]Odin[DK] Posts: 24Beta Tester
    I'm curious as to how removing lean on PC would feel. It was already in the game when I started playing. I've argued for supported positions to be removed for years.

If you compare with real life combat - both leaning and supported positions are used. I think - as you also write, that people would prefer servers with both leaning and supported position activated. I know, I would miss the feature if it was removed.

edited June 24
    Odin[DK] wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how removing lean on PC would feel. It was already in the game when I started playing. I've argued for supported positions to be removed for years.

If you compare with real life combat - both leaning and supported positions are used. I think - as you also write, that people would prefer servers with both leaning and supported position activated. I know, I would miss the feature if it was removed.

In your opinion, are supported positions in the game balanced?

To me, they're not as bad as they used to be, but they're still problematic. You can shoot with basically no recoil, duck completely behind cover to reload and even move around while doing so. What's the downside to going supported? I don't often do it (other than to combat the silly amount of recoil with low HP) as I feel it's pretty cheaty and it would almost be like "exploiting" a broken feature in my mind, but I can't really think of a downside. I feel like, with this being a game, there should be some balance to it. Some trade-off in exchange for the significant recoil reduction and ability to duck completely behind cover. I feel as though the best, and most realistic, way to improve them (by making them worse, but better for the game overall) would be to force you to dismount and remount in a different spot instead of being allowed to strafe around while firing with minimal recoil.

I don't recall seeing it lately, but has the bug where supported players' models appeared to be looking the opposite direction been fixed? I also feel like hit reg is affected by being supported, but I pretty much only have anecdotal evidence of that.

What do you think?

TL;DR: Supported positions have no downside and removing them from the game, or disabling them on your server, will raise the skill ceiling situationally.

As far as leaning goes, I lean a lot. I'm sure I'm guilty of it myself as well, but the quick peek kills almost feel more exploitative of latency than anything else. Sure, it definitely takes skill to line up the shot, but in some cases you're shooting the person as they first see you on their screen. I know that's a reality of online gaming. I'm not a huge advocate for removing lean. I'm just curious as to how differently the game would play.
  • -=M|K|H=-Gorilla-=M|K|H=-Gorilla Posts: 540Beta Tester
    edited June 25
    I understand where you are coming from with these concerns. Although I agree that the lack of recoil in a supported position seems unfair the rest of the function was to make it more realistic. Hiding and taking cover trying to surprise your enemy by listening for them being unseen was just another way to implement another strategy for other players. I personally think the recoil is to op in supported though and there needs to be more of it.

Also the bug concerning where a player in supported seemed to be looking straight ahead at all times was fixed and if in any case you find it doing this again then, please report it so it can be fixed asap :)

Also with leaning, peeks and pops the movement was reduced a while ago so that there was more of a fighting chance against players trying to use this strategy in quick firing around corners. I personally don't have a problem with the speed anymore and I have been successful at killing other players using that method but then again I have been killed too lol. I think in comparison to what it once was, it has balance out a lot. But I don't think its a function we would like to loose. If anything I think it should be an option on a servers ini. I know this has been brought up and talked about a few times. It seems like the Devs have been stern on leaving it in the game. Hmm maybe we need to reduce the lean speed a little bit more?
    edited June 25
    I understand where you are coming from with these concerns. Although I agree that the lack of recoil in a supported position seems unfair the rest of the function was to make it more realistic. Hiding and taking cover trying to surprise your enemy by listening for them being unseen was just another way to implement another strategy for other players. I personally think the recoil is to op in supported though and there needs to be more of it.

Also the bug concerning where a player in supported seemed to be looking straight ahead at all times was fixed and if in any case you find it doing this again then, please report it so it can be fixed asap :)

Also with leaning, peeks and pops the movement was reduced a while ago so that there was more of a fighting chance against players trying to use this strategy in quick firing around corners. I personally don't have a problem with the speed anymore and I have been successful at killing other players using that method but then again I have been killed too lol. I think in comparison to what it once was, it has balance out a lot. But I don't think its a function we would like to loose. If anything I think it should be an option on a servers ini. I know this has been brought up and talked about a few times. It seems like the Devs have been stern on leaving it in the game. Hmm maybe we need to reduce the lean speed a little bit more?

As I said in my previous post in bold(although the bold doesn't stand out very well), I think the best thing to do for supported positions would be to get rid of the strafing. You can support in one spot. If you want to move, dismount and that remount in a different spot. I could maybe even see being able to move spots while ducked. This being able to strafe around while firing with next to no recoil is broken, however.

As far as leaning goes, I would only really advocate its removal if it were the final barrier for crossplay. Obviously this is all an unlikely hypothetical, but I'd rather have a significantly larger player base at the cost of leaning than keep trending the way things have been going.
  • tigerlilytigerlily Posts: 8Player
    edited June 29
    All this aside, *true* cross-play has yet to be offered by Sony on the PS4. But there seems to be some recent movement where Sony is considering it.
    Now, Sony is, at the very least, listening to players who are angry about being siloed off from other consoles. Shawn Layden, Sony Interactive Entertainment America president and CEO and SIE Worldwide Studios chairman, was asked by Eurogamer about fans' frustrations over cross-play at a conference.

"We're hearing it," he said. "We're looking at a lot of the possibilities. You can imagine that the circumstances around that affect a lot more than just one game. I'm confident we'll get to a solution which will be understood and accepted by our gaming community, while at the same time supporting our business."
    - tigerlily -
    coldfurnace.com
    As Crossplay was mentioned in the AA5 thread, I figured I'd see if there was anything new as far as potential Crossplay for AAPG.

Is Tots's answer still the case? Or has this been discussed further?

What would have to happen to make this a reality?
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,651Player
    People actually play PS4 version with a controller?? Omg there are keyboard and mice available for that platform.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 879Moderator
    As long as the console players have/need autoaim there will be no way to play together on equal terms.
    (okey, its aim assist, but i experienced it on "11", its devastating)
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 151Developer
    As Crossplay was mentioned in the AA5 thread, I figured I'd see if there was anything new as far as potential Crossplay for AAPG.

Is Tots's answer still the case? Or has this been discussed further?

What would have to happen to make this a reality?

I don't know if true crossplay was promised for AAV, I don't think I promised it, I just know we'll be on all the platforms with it.

This hasn't been discussed further (I've heard literally zero about it since I started however many weeks back) and I didn't even know it was something people wanted.
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 151Developer
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    People actually play PS4 version with a controller?? Omg there are keyboard and mice available for that platform.

Yeah our aim assist is suitably advanced to make kb/m not effective on console. It's the kind of thing that our dev will do a GDC talk or TED talk on one day after we've moved on. I wish I could tell you about it, it's quite brilliant actually. ;)
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,651Player
    Aim assist tee hee .. how can any game be taken seriously or in competition with aim assist.

Just generalizing, I have no idea how it works... quite honestly I don't care. If those PS4 kids are having fun, I guess that's all that matters..

"light bulb"

Make the Console version of AAV "fun" and the PC version "comp" focused !! DONE ! I'm a genious

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw