Hi Tots!

Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 570Player
edited May 27 in General Discussion

These are still things that happen, I guess...

Did arm damage get changed? Or is it still the same as upper torso?

Comments

• Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 570Player

I guess the server had me further back than I was, because it's impossible for him to throw a grenade from where he was and hit me where I was.
    Also, who mod-abused the thread back to the original post?
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    edited June 3
    Yes, there are latency issues in online games. Add in various server hardware configurations, a dated engine, and various bugs and sometimes inconsistencies will happen.

Our game isn't perfect, but we're pretty happy with where the netcode is.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

TheTots wrote: »
    Yes, there are latency issues in online games. Add in various server hardware configurations, a dated engine, and various bugs and sometimes inconsistencies will happen.

Our game isn't perfect, but we're pretty happy with where the netcode is.

I'm guessing server-side hit detection is the only/best way to go as far as grenades are concerned? How is it determined whether a grenade is thrown or not? I've had a number of times where I've clearly thrown a grenade on my screen before death only to have it blow up on my body (I don't have a video handy at the moment). But alternatively I had this happen recently (posted in the OP as well):

I'm sure you understand how it's frustrating to play a situation exactly right and die due to factors completely outside of my control. Or to have to keep shooting someone who should already be dead. Those things, along with silly mechanics like OP nades, OP flashes and exponentially increasing RNG recoil with low HP make it hard to be consistently successful, no matter how well I'm playing.
  • i9,piSSkoi9,piSSko Posts: 11Player
    Just to point also that flash and nades does not work all the time and that needs to be fixed asap. Sometimes nade would explode right under me and it does not kill me.. flash would end up in my face and I'm not flashed...

It's really frustrated to play like that.. specially if u are the person who wants to flash someone...
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,565Player
    I'm not satisfied before FPS games are like real life experience.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
    -Ner0- wrote: »
    I'm not satisfied before FPS games are like real life experience.

Just attach a gun to your computer to shoot you when you get hit in game!
  • }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 619Administrator
    piSSko^ wrote: »
    Just to point also that flash and nades does not work all the time and that needs to be fixed asap. Sometimes nade would explode right under me and it does not kill me.. flash would end up in my face and I'm not flashed...

It's really frustrated to play like that.. specially if u are the person who wants to flash someone...

There is collision issues with grenades and flash bangs. I agree that it needs to be fixed. Think of it like this, if there is anything in between you and the grenade and flash bang then there is no effect. Things that can distort the effects are chairs, walls, gurneys, boxes, bins, other players and so on.

There is also a huge thing with the GC of your choice on the effects of being flash banged. You can see a lot of older posts that talk about how some players get flashed and when they do they loose all controls and become immobile in the game even after hitting keys to act in defense even when being blinded. But when the effect pass they are still in the same spot they where when they were flashed to start.

But with the Grenades even if you were to be on the other side of the wall and should have received some damage due to the blast everything in the game matters. Where you were, how far away, if there was anything in front of you like a chair or so on. This is a frustration a lot of players have. However unless a change is made (believe me the Devs know about it) the best we can do is report the bug in full details on what happened and how it was wrong with the submit a bug tool or just try to enjoy the game for how it is.

This does not go over the issue though with Lat. A perfect example of this is the video that
    Hey.I.Have.A.Gun had posted with him throwing a grenade before the other player. Because of the lat he was unable to see a nade thrown at him a sec before his throw or shortly after. These effects happen to often as well and will remain endless in this type of bug.
  • i9,piSSkoi9,piSSko Posts: 11Player
    piSSko^ wrote: »

However unless a change is made (believe me the Devs know about it) the best we can do is report the bug in full details on what happened and how it was wrong with the submit a bug tool or just try to enjoy the game for how it is.

It does not bother me much that I would stop playing the game since this is the best version which came out since AA2 and devs did a great job so far. Maybe they could do more by redoing older maps from AA2 like Urban Assault (Harbor Assault AC very very close, since it's dark no much ppl like to play it), Collapse Tunnel, Mkenna, Weapons cache, been more active with leagues so ppl would not leave for another game as pubbing is boring after few months of playing it....
    So far I haven't come across any FPS which can satisfy me as AA2 or now AAPG can. all other FPS games are total unreal crap - pardon my French :)

Lately I've seen some old players been more active, which puts a smile on my face :) Hopefully Devs and guys from AAGL can work out something together to get more ppl in again - Im jut hoping. Or I guess, next step is Unr4 and completely redesign of the game.

Mind-boggling.
  • Clayton_McDonaldClayton_McDonald Posts: 3Player

you missed him arm u aimed too low at the very last second.
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 441Beta Tester

Mind-boggling.

All missed. You barely scratched the ghille suit. Hitting the ghillie doesn't count as a hit...

However, I have a more generic question: what is you goal with this topic? I think most of us know, that hitreg isn't perfect, you don't have to prove that. If I have kept these videos of mine over the years, I could put together a lengthy montage of messed up things as well... I know that these things are infuriating when they happen in game, but still, what is your goal? (I'm just trying to understand...)

But if you post clips like this, you are even undermining you own point.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.

Mind-boggling.

Mind-boggling.

All missed. You barely scratched the ghille suit. Hitting the ghillie doesn't count as a hit...

However, I have a more generic question: what is you goal with this topic? I think most of us know, that hitreg isn't perfect, you don't have to prove that. If I have kept these videos of mine over the years, I could put together a lengthy montage of messed up things as well... I know that these things are infuriating when they happen in game, but still, what is your goal? (I'm just trying to understand...)

But if you post clips like this, you are even undermining you own point.

First shot is a clear miss. Second shot is a clear hit. Other shots are splitting hairs. The title of the video is entirely accurate.

you missed him arm u aimed too low at the very last second.

What video were you watching? If anything, I didn't aim low enough.

Part of the problem with the ghillie suit is it's tough to tell looking at video where the suit ends and the player model begins, so you end up trying to pixel-hunt for a point you can't even see.
    I'm quoting myself from another thread because that post was kind of out of place there.
    It would be nice if there were a server option to limit classes and/or optics.

I think the dev.s are working on this..
    https://forum.americasarmy.com/discussion/6382/force-weapons#latest
    It was a year ago so it should be here soon =)

If it's anything like the AA2 ForceClass, it would force everyone to have the same weapons. I'm more interested in admins being able to limit the use of the M24 on Inner, for example, while having every other class still available.

This is how it will be when the dev's give us the option in admin panel.

Depending on how much control server owners have, this could be a good change. Unfortunately it's coming a lot later than it should have.

I know that the NA competitive scene, back when that existed, wanted to potentially have the ability to ban shotguns, for example. There was talk of trying an "old school" ladder with ironsights only. Yes, it would have been possible to try to enforce that without game support.

One of the biggest disappointments for me personally with AAPG is its failure to support the competitive playerbase. I know at one point there was a "Comp Beta" team, but that was short-lived. I wasn't a part of it, and I don't recall the specifics of what happened to it. IIRC, the map Intercept was made with a lot of player feedback.

Ultimately the direction of the game went away from rewarding skill and possibly having a decent skill ceiling to RNG and a lot of cheesy nonsense. Things like the suppression effect which basically reward a player for missing. If I'm being shot at, a mild effect or even just sounds of bullets going by me should be enough. I shouldn't be suppressed to the point of being nearly blind and unable to return fire. The same is true of grenades, although I have less of an issue with that.

Grenades and flashes are still OP, although I believe nades were slightly nerfed towards the end of open beta. In a game where grenades and flashes can be cooked, players should be forced to make good throws to get max effectiveness. If you throw a flash and it goes off (well) behind someone, they're still blind. It's possible to airburst a flash directly in someone's face, but you don't have to even come close to doing that to significantly blind someone. The flashbang effect should be further reduced when it's not in a player's field of view. Grenades I'd just like to see have a smaller radius. Force people to locate them better.

I'm also a believer that the penalty for having low HP should be that you have low HP. Having a silly amount of RNG recoil at low HP is an unnecessary handicap. For example, a player that's revived is still killed in one M4 shot on any hit to the upper torso, arms or head. That revived player needs to land four shots, or one headshot, on a full HP player without taking one such hit themselves. That's handicap enough.

Supported positions did get a bit of a nerf, but I still believe the game would be better off without them. Minimal exposure, barely any recoil and questionable hit reg are all benefits of going supported. What's the negative? How is it balanced?

Ultimately, I can still have fun playing the game, but not nearly as much fun as I did in open beta when there was still a semblance of a competitive scene and more people playing. I do wonder how things might have turned out had the game gone in a more competitive direction.

Here's an example of the silly suppression effect and how it's a detriment to a skill-based gunfight:

Just for more fun, here are some videos all from one match on Inner Hospital:

Just a terrible play by the opposing player rewarded, as the game was designed:

Flashbangs are still OP, but it would be nice for the throws with thought to do something:

Is this fixable or just a reality of the engine?

Nades OP:

What happened to getting a Z-axis? This sounded like carpet.

Much like the first video, just more RNG garbage from a player who was already hit:

A handful of examples where I really wouldn't do anything differently, but I still died. /vent
  • DrawnDrawn Posts: 165Player
    So you are a [TOS Violation] player? good for you
    Drawn wrote: »
    So you are a [TOS Violation] player? good for you

Whoooooooooosh!

Alternatively, you could have watched the videos and seen that I have a legitimate complaint with all of them.
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 441Beta Tester
    edited June 17
    I can only reply to you with your own words (What Tots uses as a signature): "The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken."

1) You were at 50% HP, you aim too far left. I don't see any problem with game design. You also didn't scope, while you had every possibility to do so. I don't know what would make you accept getting killed.
    2) The flasbang got blocked by the chairs/plant, thus no flash effect. Your "throw with thought" was just a "chuck it in there, hope it works". If you want a flash effect, make it explode above the chairs to hit the entire room - which requires timing, not a just mindless throw. (In other words: skill.)
    3) Engine. You should take this (and gun clipping) into consideration when positioning.
    4) "The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken." Yes, grenades are very powerful, but this is AAPG.
    5) You are right on this. I'm not one with good ears, but I find it impossible to tell if someone it above/below me.
    6) You aimed for the legs. Maybe the "RNG garbage" was about the other player hitting you in the upper body? If you mean the hipfire spread, using your sights solves this problem. Also, should you automatically win a fight for hitting first? Isn't aimpunch and other "who hit first, wins" mechanics frowned upon in competitive games? (I remember aimpunch being a hot topic in AAPG for this reason...)

I seriously don't understand what are you trying to prove with these clips. I don't find it constructive at all. "I lost a gunfight, while I had 50 HP, hipfiring left of the target. Hurr-durr, game design is bad, hurr-durr."

I'm all in for constructive discussions, but I don't feel like this is one of those...
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    I can only reply to you with your own words (What Tots uses as a signature): "The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken."

1) You were at 50% HP, you aim too far left. I don't see any problem with game design. You also didn't scope, while you had every possibility to do so. I don't know what would make you accept getting killed.
    2) The flasbang got blocked by the chairs/plant, thus no flash effect. Your "throw with thought" was just a "chuck it in there, hope it works". If you want a flash effect, make it explode above the chairs to hit the entire room - which requires timing, not a just mindless throw. (In other words: skill.)
    3) Engine. You should take this (and gun clipping) into consideration when positioning.
    4) "The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken." Yes, grenades are very powerful, but this is AAPG.
    5) You are right on this. I'm not one with good ears, but I find it impossible to tell if someone it above/below me.
    6) You aimed for the legs. Maybe the "RNG garbage" was about the other player hitting you in the upper body? If you mean the hipfire spread, using your sights solves this problem. Also, should you automatically win a fight for hitting first? Isn't aimpunch and other "who hit first, wins" mechanics frowned upon in competitive games? (I remember aimpunch being a hot topic in AAPG for this reason...)

I seriously don't understand what are you trying to prove with these clips. I don't find it constructive at all. "I lost a gunfight, while I had 50 HP, hipfiring left of the target. Hurr-durr, game design is bad, hurr-durr."

I'm all in for constructive discussions, but I don't feel like this is one of those...

1. Sure, I initially overcorrected, but I was on him for almost every shot. Ultimately my biggest issue is that it's an example of how the game was designed. They took the approach of letting any idiot get kills instead of making it more skillful. The guy made a terrible play and got away with it.
    2. Flashbangs are OP, and I would say inconsistent to the point of being broken. I knew he was there and while yes, it wasn't a particularly well thrown flash, and honestly I don't think it's a flash that should blind someone, people blind people with far worse throws. I just wish the logic were consistent. It was pretty close to him, but was "blocked," but if I throw it well behind him without the obstruction he's blind. That rewards bad play.
    3. That's what I assumed.
    4. Yes. I've been around and around on this and it's not going to change at this point, but it's a fact that reducing the radius would make grenade throwing more skillfull.
    5. The whole Wwise sound update towards the end of open beta was supposed to add a Z-axis. Whatever happened to that?
    6. I was aimed low initially because I didn't expect him to essentially be hovering in mid-air. Even so, I prefired him and was aimed on him almost the entire time. And, as I said, he had already taken damage, so 3-4 hits anywhere at most will kill him (assuming only one prior hit all round).
This discussion has been closed.