Linux Server

.stryker.stryker Posts: 13Player
Hey,

I know the linux server is on that way, hurrah!! I'm curious out there how many are waiting for it's release?

Dev's which flavour will best suit it? I would think Ubuntu would be foremost on the list, will it work properly under CentOS?
Linux Server Poll
  1. Are you looking forward to the new linux server files?14 votes
    1. yes
      78.57%
    2. no
        7.14%
    3. don't care
      14.29%
  2. Are you moving from M$ to Linux14 votes
    1. yes
      78.57%
    2. no
      21.43%
    3. what's linux?
        0.00%
  3. Do fries go with that Shake ?14 votes
    1. always
      28.57%
    2. only chocolate
      14.29%
    3. stop this ridiculous poll
      57.14%

Comments

• }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 596Moderator
    I always get fries with my shakes after a beta test. Be nice if Tots would buy his own though. He always drinks half of mine. *sigh*
  • .stryker.stryker Posts: 13Player
    Welp, early part of the year is pretty much upon us...how's it lookin ? Any glimmer of hope on the near horizon ?
  • GoA]z!o[N]cya[GoA]z!o[N]cya[ Posts: 107Player
    how to vote? O.o
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 163Player
    Too little too late IMHO.
    35d2uec.png
  • =R*C=TeEeJai!=R*C=TeEeJai! Posts: 26Player
    Will it fix the DDos attacks?
  • -=[GWYD]=-Bud-=[GWYD]=-Bud Posts: 51Player
    DDOS is done on server side software. Tons of free software out there for Linux to use to stop those. Also blocking those countries always helps too.
    gwyd.jpg
    gwyd.com
    "IF THERE'S A GLITCH I WILL FIND IT. "
  • =R*C=TeEeJai!=R*C=TeEeJai! Posts: 26Player
    It's that easy is it? Can you fix all of the Asia pacific servers then?
    Hey, How's that linux server coming along?
  • aaHollywoodaaHollywood Posts: 288Developer
    .stryker wrote: »
    Hey, How's that linux server coming along?

The files are on Steam and Tear wrote up some instructions I can post up
    edited October 6
    Yes I can confirm they are available, worked fine on my Debian server.
    Use "steamcmd 20330" and you will be directed to "203303 America's Army: Proving Grounds Dedicated Server Linux" repository.
    Just edit the "AWSLaunchPCServer.sh" and .ini to your own server requirements and run.

Kudos for finally releasing the Linux Dedicated Server Files. :)

Would it be possible for aaHolywood or Tear to make a public post pinned to the top so everyone can see it?
    Also might be a good idea to do a mass spam email announcing that Linux Dedicated Servers are available, particularly to game server hosting companies.
    35d2uec.png
  • tortured.autortured.au Posts: 23Beta Tester
    edited October 8
    Some switches you will need to change if you want to run multiple servers
    -port=7778 -voipport=8765 -SAP=8778 -SQP=27015 -log=Server_1.1.1.1_7778.log -servername="Your Server Name"

My understanding is -servername will change the server name instead of whatever is in the config. Don't need to use it if you have it set in the config.
    -ip variable as well? SAP and SQP ? Guessing -Server {AP}? and - Server Query Port? Voip port to be +1
    How does query work ? lgsl or qtracker ? Following this principal: "qtracker://{IP}:{S_PORT}?game=AmericasArmy3&action=show", would: "qtracker://{IP}:{S_PORT}?game=AmericasAmryProvingGrounds&action=show", .. work? figure I"m gonna just try it anyways.
  • Whiplash27Whiplash27 Posts: 1,914Player
    edited October 31
    Got so close, but after typing ./AWSLaunchPCServer.sh I get a million punkbuster errors.
    Punkbuster Server: Critical ERROR: Cannot Laod /home/steam/Steam/aapg/Binaries/Linux/pb/pbags.so

I see the file in the folder, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Also, what exactly am I supposed to edit in the AWSLaunchPCServer.sh file? I see all of this stuff for official servers and whatever, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to mess with. The only thing I've changed was the AAGame.ini

Would be great if there was a guide for this.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 918Moderator
    I dont know if this is of any help for you whip, but some might find it useful
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1545463647
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • weakness_aaweakness_aa Posts: 134Player
    Just curious about the Linux Distro of choice for those running the Linux Server Binaries?
    edited November 1
    Just curious about the Linux Distro of choice for those running the Linux Server Binaries?

Debian for me. But whatever you like will be fine .
    Just be aware that the game is not very well optimised so no matter the server specs you will get player lag ie. when a player joins the server everyone locks up for a few seconds.
    Also the constant game port specific packet spoofing attacks by cancerous individuals amoung the community will bring your server down pretty quick if your on something like a VPS. The devs really need to put a stop to this or simply deny all rules put in place.
    35d2uec.png
    edited November 1
    I have my linux box on Ubuntu, I'm only really using it to test UMMs more than anything else. If I can get away with it, I may not even open the ports for public use.
    Well, I got it working at least in terms of joining using my internal IP... Although I added my maps to that one file and I see them in the console, but the server won't download them.
  • -=[USA]=-LocoRobo-=[USA]=-LocoRobo Posts: 11Beta Tester
    Important note: The AAPG Linux Dedicated Server is not compatible with hosting User Generated Content (UGC) from the Steam Workshop.