Mini map in custom maps

Is it possible to put a mini map in a custom map? Is it allowed?

Comments

• Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 521Beta Tester
    edited November 2017
    Unfortunately I don't think this is possible. I'm unsure why.

It would be really helpful though...
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • [FOX]Kamjam21xx[FOX]Kamjam21xx Posts: 122Player
    Well i didnt have much luck figuring out things before. but im really stubborn when im told what is possible and impossible.

so im gonna waste a bunch of time trying to make anything that even resembles a mini map.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,184Player
    Seen as everything you use in your map has to be included within your map package, it's currently impossible to add you own mini-map.

It's all about how the client stores/reads the various game files and packages. The only way I assume it could be possible would literally be having to send your minimap to the devs to include with the game so that everyone who plays your map gets it, but as I'm sure you can imagine that'd be a lot of micro management on their part.

The only way custom minimaps will work is if devs change and allow their use (if it's even a possibility somehow) from within map packages.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

edited November 2017
    Theres no way to over ride this using kismet and make your own minimap? As in completely make your own from scrap, and not use the one in game.

ive done node based editing in advanced video and motion tracking softwares, never a game engine until now. so idk anything about it.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,184Player
    I'm not friends with kismet, he's never liked me, refuses to do anything to help me and whenever I ask him to, he does it wrong. But.. Kismet would argue it's all me.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Bear_82Bear_82 Posts: 361Moderator
    . . . Kismet would argue it's all me.

it is :p
    The right of the people to keep and arm bears shall not be infringed.
    How is the original mini map put in the game?
    edited November 2017
    I found something im going to try, if it works ill make a how to video and post it. But i think itll be mildly advanced.

How do i switch the udk3 camera to parallel instead of perspective? i want to in order to take a screen of the map from above for the mini map.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,594Beta Tester
    There are four windows in UE3 Ed - Three Ortho...Top[ALT+G], Front[ALT+H], Side[ALT+J] and one 3D Perspective[ALT+F]

Also.... https://docs.unrealengine.com/udk/Three/EditorButtons.html
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    Does the game allow you to add your own HUD elements via kismet with flash and Gfx or by anchoring a camera to the player that hovers over a minimap elsewhere? i havent spent too much time on it, and im new to all this so its probably just me.

I cant figure out how to get it to draw my minimap, im pretty sure its tracking my player and everything.
    Im new to this modern day game dev stuff. i imagine it takes a lot longer to learn than the time ive spent on it.
  • DELTATHUND3RDELTATHUND3R Posts: 123Moderator
    Off the top of my head it is possible.... just think outside the box Kamjam your on the right track...
    at least its easier than learning to use synth eyes, and PF track with all the other compositing and 3D softwares. that took me years. Still im starting from scratch in this.