Turning a absolute tragedy into an opportunity!

MoPar496MoPar496 Posts: 13Player
When I woke this morning, like most Americans, I was met with the news of the Vegas shootings that happened late last night. Now not for one second should any whom read this think that I am trying to take anything away from the people that are and have gone through such an event, but this IS a video game forum and I am directing this topic as such.

The very first thing I heard from the "news" crew on NBC was that people are desensitized to mass shootings and that video games " often" put players in mass shooting scenarios to play out as mass shooters. Therefore according to the "news professional" making it easier to carry out sick fantasy's like what just happened in Vegas.
I tried to find a clip of that broadcast but couldn't. (6:15am CST)

Now what I would like to see is that our government funded, produced and managed game developers, get out there and set the facts straight about the video games out there. Get on you social media and let masses now that there are a bazillion people that play shooters out there and that one person going bats##t crazy isn't the "fault" of gaming. And set the facts straight about the ratio of shooters to shooters that have a "mass shooting level" . As far as I know there is only two games that have a level that lets a player play the role of shooter in a mass shooting environment. COD was one and State of Emergency,

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    I find it hard to believe a 64 year old man was or would be influenced by any video game.. but forget about the politics and outside influences I'm really sorry to hear about this tragedy. I pray for anyone affected by one mans obvious lunacy.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• doogle!doogle! Posts: 733Player
    The US media loves negativity. Best to not engage them, especially not in an official capacity as representatives of "The" Army game.
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    It is a shame this happened, but no one is responsible for this man's actions. Only he is to blame. It is and always has been lunacy to say video games cause violence, just as it is lunacy to insist that people having the right to bare arms against any and all threats leads to violence. Only violent people lead to violence, or mentally ill people.

I thought we were passed that "video games cause violence" argument but apparently the media likes to back track to stale old arguments that haven no weight to them.

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • DistinctionDistinction Posts: 61Beta Tester
    I find it hard to believe a 64 year old man was or would be influenced by any video game.. but forget about the politics and outside influences I'm really sorry to hear about this tragedy. I pray for anyone affected by one mans obvious lunacy.

I'm still trying to figure out how he got automatic rifles!

Distinction
    AAPG Beta
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 630Player
    He used a device called bump-stock. Turns a semi into full auto and seems to be legal...
    AAPG is good!
  • MoPar496MoPar496 Posts: 13Player
    First of all THANKS for understanding the point behind what I posted. I didn't want to come across as a D**K. I do understand and agree that it would be a terrible PR move to do anything in regards to this situation.
    This is one of those posts that I wish I would have worded better or took more time to fully flesh out my thoughts about it before I posted. I was shocked and horrified about the news story then 2min later had some [TOS Violation] hat "expert" blaming something else for a deranged persons actions. That got me under the collar a little bit.

I just get so disgusted by the media flipping EVERYTHING that is a tragedy into an opportunity for some agenda, for whatever side/point that is popular for that moment. I, just for once, want the dog gone news to report the facts and leave the assumptions to the public.
    Again thanks all for your understanding.