Future Content and How it Can Make or Break the Experience

EvilWithinEvilWithin Posts: 11Player
First, I'd like to say thank you to the developers on a job well done with Proving Grounds. It's the only competitive shooter I've been playing, and probably the most fun I've had with one in quite a while. Thank you for giving us a straight forward, bare bones game that doesn't rely on perks, killstreaks, and cheap kills. Lastly, thank you for the constant updates and feedback to the community.

Now, on to my main topic. Future content is important to any multiplayer game's longevity and it's a given that we will get something in the future, but at what price? I know Rockstar Games is considered one of the best and most renowned developers in the industry. One thing they do for their multiplayer community that I think is crucial for Proving Grounds is that all of their updates are free. I know, I know, you can't compare a small development team to that of Rockstar, but Rockstar makes that money back with Shark Cards(ingame cash). Here's my suggestion. Future content such as maps, events, or even new modes MUST be free to everyone. When you charge players for these things, especially a game that doesn't have a massive following, it seperates everyone. It splits the player base and it can really hurt the depth of players in each room and can ultimately kill of your community. A great way to make cash is cosmetics. Have more gun or soldier camos that players can purchase if necessary for revenue. I'm not saying to do what Call of Duty does and have camo with hearts or aliens all over it, but keep it realistic. The only thing I'm honestly suggesting is please do not charge the community for maps in the future. Why do you think GTA V Online is still going so strong and every room is always maxed out with players? It wouldn't be that way if every update and content had a price tag. Even in a massive franchise like Call of Duty, those paid maps don't always fill up and it's just a hassle in general to have the community split like that. So to the developers, PLEASE take this into consideration, and not just for my sake, but for the entire community.

If any of the developers took the time to read this, I appreciate it greatly. For any community member who did, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Comments

• FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 630Player
    They dont take money for content since 2001.
    AAPG is good!
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,077Moderator
    I wonder, where did this idea come from?
    The game has always been free, its a tiny part of the US Army's PR budget.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    America's Army is 100% free. Has been since day one back in 2001. Always will be.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,621Beta Tester
    July 2002 America's Army 1.0 was released. I got it free.

Thanks for typing that up, OP, but... :)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • EvilWithinEvilWithin Posts: 11Player
    @Flatlander - Well, times have changed since 2001. Almost every game has Microtransactions.
    TheTots wrote: »
    America's Army is 100% free. Has been since day one back in 2001. Always will be.

That's awesome to hear. This is the first one I've played and I really enjoy it. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. :)
  • deadly004deadly004 Posts: 6Player
    edited September 2017
    Lets fix the game and work on the game to a good solid state. Right now im downloading the patch 1.14. but before it was kinda choppy and dsnyc was all over. I mean lets focus on that then worrying about how to figure money or transactions. You could also do a supply drop type thing like cod ( Call of Duty ) . Get points for matches and also can buy points for Camos or ETC . Micro
    transactions ...

BTW i enjoy this game just keep the good work up :+1:
    Steam/PSN: Deadly004 -
    Tester/Game Designer
    Twitter: Twitter.com/deadly004
  • Pain-N-PanicPain-N-Panic Posts: 79Player
    Lol at OMG best FREE to play shooter ever but "every future update/add-on MUST be free."

You were literally given an outstanding free to play fps in which the devs have vowed multiple times will remain free and have explained why it will always be free and then you come in here and demand future updates to be......FREE.

Strong productive thread /10.
  • Lol at OMG best FREE to play shooter ever but "every future update/add-on MUST be free."

You were literally given an outstanding free to play fps in which the devs have vowed multiple times will remain free and have explained why it will always be free and then you come in here and demand future updates to be......FREE.

Strong productive thread /10.

Lmao i know right, the nerve of this guy
  • canonjoecanonjoe Posts: 9Player
    Please don't do supply drops lol