How is grenade damage detected?

I have this video where a grenade on the other side of a wall killed me:

I also appear to take damage from behind cover in this video.

It almost seems like it's server side, because it's certainly not representative of what's on my screen.

Comments

• |FOX|Pitpav|FOX|Pitpav Posts: 41Player
    edited July 2017
    Nothin special here.
    1 vid You get good cooked nade from upper gallery or dark.
    2 vid You cooked nade too long
    easy
  • wish i had vids of me right next to a nade and not dying, happens to me multiple times every day
    I agree with you nades are weird and id like to know how the damage is detected also

• L0rdDamianL0rdDamian Posts: 700Player
    All nades should be reworked and changed from how they are now.. Sometimes the frag doesn't kill you, then sometimes it kills you in ways it should not have killed you like video 1. Video 2 however you took damage, wish can be caused by shrapnel.

Smokes are funny too... When some one trows smoke to cover his cross, all you have to do is trow in a flash and it shows him in the smoke. Carefull, if you shoot them they might accuse you for, you know...

Flashes, well.. same with nades.. Makes no sense.. Specially with the freeze that is still going on and have been reported like, what??.. 2 years ago?.... Anyway point is, they all need some fixing.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 631Player
    Nothin special here.
    1 vid You get good cooked nade from upper gallery or dark.
    2 vid You cooked nade too long
    easy

Except in Video #1 the grenade blew up below the wall in front of me, so it shouldn't have hit me.

Obviously I overcooked it in Video #2, but I was also mostly if not totally behind cover by the time it went off.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Basically, when the grenade explodes it goes up 1 foot and then draws lines to everyone within a certain radius and calculates damage based on distance.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

edited July 2017
    TheTots wrote: »
    Basically, when the grenade explodes it goes up 1 foot and then draws lines to everyone within a certain radius and calculates damage based on distance.

Is there a way to compare it to what SSHD or CSHD is for bullet registration? Is grenade damage figured server-side? I've definitely had grenades damage me in a way that's not consistent with what I see on my screen, but it would be consistent with where the grenade was a fraction of a second before it actually went off.

Also, why does it go up one foot? I suspect that's why the grenade in the first video killed me, even though it shouldn't have?
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    That's to deal with in world clutter, otherwise most grenades would be blocked by basic floor items / junk. Without raising it you can basically prone to dodge a grenade. It may not be a full foot, something like 8 inches maybe. The short answer is it makes it more consistent.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,499Beta Tester
    It seems to me a lot of players make pretty big assumptions about what is happening, then make assumptions based on their assumptions, all built on assumptions about how they assume things work. Anyone notice a common thread in this post?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,166Player
    edited July 2017
    I'm assuming that your assuming that Keebler :lol:

I could swear that I've been killed by nades that somehow got me when I thought I made it to a safe position (Also get the same feeling sometimes from ballistic damage, but alas thats off topic). Makes me feel robbed of my e-life in that moment, until I spawn next round and forget about it.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

Keebler750 wrote: »
    It seems to me a lot of players make pretty big assumptions about what is happening, then make assumptions based on their assumptions, all built on assumptions about how they assume things work. Anyone notice a common thread in this post?

What? I asked a question to try to explain some things that don't make sense.

It should be pretty clear why I'd say that video #1 should have resulted in zero damage to me. I was behind cover relative to the grenade.
    edited July 2017
    Really? Where do you assume the grenade was? I didn't see it.

Having a rough posting day here apparently....

What if the grenade was at your feet, thrown from somewhere else?

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    edited July 2017
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Really? Where do you assume the grenade was? I didn't see it.

Watch the video. It clearly drops below the level of the top of the bench and, given that the camera is at the top of my head, has no line of sight to me.

Now apparently it gets raised up 8-12 inches before it goes off, which seems to explain how it hit me despite being on the other side of an object.
    edited July 2017
    EDIT: DOH!!!
    ______

edited July 2017
    EDIT: DOH!!! Quoted myself!
    ______

edited July 2017
    Looking on a different monitor I can see a grenade now. Don't know if that's the one that killed you, but I see one above the bench.

Hey, Tots...what are we allowed to say about grenade mechanics? There are some LOS issues here that I'm not sure about commenting on.
    ______

That's to deal with in world clutter, otherwise most grenades would be blocked by basic floor items / junk. Without raising it you can basically prone to dodge a grenade. It may not be a full foot, something like 8 inches maybe. The short answer is it makes it more consistent.

I guess a followup question would be to ask why there isn't a check (maybe there is?) on the current level of the grenade to see if it even needs to be raised up any distance. In the case in the video, it should only need to go off where it's located because it's already well off the ground, no?
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Done some homework for you guys. One picture with the nade (very close above the chairs/railing), one with the moment it explodes. Matches Tots statement quite well. So pro tip for future reference, either go frame by frame in an editor or slow the video down to 0.25x speed and hammer away at your spacebar.

http://imgur.com/a/tYhim
    SSKnecabo wrote: »
    Done some homework for you guys. One picture with the nade (very close above the chairs/railing), one with the moment it explodes. Matches Tots statement quite well. So pro tip for future reference, either go frame by frame in an editor or slow the video down to 0.25x speed and hammer away at your spacebar.

http://imgur.com/a/tYhim

That changes nothing. The grenade had no direct line of sight to me until the game raised it up.
    Scientifically, there is no way to connect THAT grenade to the one that finished you off. There are a couple of reasons I'm saying this, not the least of which is the amount of experience I've got with stuff that happens out of the field of view, or behind the gun/scope etc.

What I'm trying to say is that in order to confirm a bug or an 'issue' much stricter correlation is necessary. And....you may be 100% right...if we could prove it.

My pet peeve with nades right now is cooking it, throwing and then it still takes forever to explode while you helplessly watch your victim run away. I just can't reproduce it well enough for a bug report!
    ______