Bunny Hopping

-[U|S|A]-Gorilla-[U|S|A]-Gorilla Posts: 767Administrator
Hi guys I am a firm believer that Bunny Hopping does not make any difference in the game play at all and that its just another maneuver to avoid being shot. In my server I had added this as a rule because as a old time player of AA it was a popular rule ban in the day. I also had a bunch of steam friends say that they do prefer my server with the rule because there is not a lot of servers with this rule.

I am only asking for your opinion on the matter. There is no need for this to get heated of coarse but I would love to hear back from you on your thoughts about it and see the vote results. Thank you guys and have a great day!

Bunny Hopping/ Server Rule
  1. Do you prefer No Bunny Hopping as a rule.39 votes
    1. Yes I do
      20.51%
    2. No I do not
      64.10%
    3. I do not care
      12.82%
    4. It is nice to have a few servers with this rule
        2.56%

Comments

• TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    I'm of the opinion that it's just another tactic. It's a very video game tactic and not a real one, obviously. You wouldn't see it on the battlefield but you have to keep in mind it is a game at the end of the day.

Can it be annoying? Oh yes, very. Am I guilty of doing it sometimes? Yes.

I see both sides of the argument, and can understand why some servers would prefer to ban it. The issue with that comes in the form of communication. Making sure people know it's a rule and why. Having those kinds of custom rules can create frustration for players.

I think it's good to have a few servers with the rule. That way those who hate it can play without it. It's really the whole purpose of having community servers. Letting like minded people play together.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,608Beta Tester
    I don't agree with silly rules like "if we catch you prone, you're outta here" etc. I hop or zig zag across empty spaces to avoid being shot. It's an ingrained matter of FEAR. ;p Have no idea whether it works, but if I was in a real gunfire situation I would run and at least zig zag. Why is that wrong? I should stand still and be shot??!!!

Not the rule so much as the attitude of regulating play is what turns me off: some voice comes over TS 'Don't bunny hop.'

Really?

It's not a macro or an 'assist' but just me using the same tools everyone else has, IE 'fair.'

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,065Moderator
    Outside of looking stupid from a "reality" point of view, bunny hopping does absolutely nothing.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,575Player
    I don't know why this is an issue. I almost never see Bunny hopping and I play 90 % in Officials where it's legal.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 643Player
    A rule like no bunny hopping is an attempt to stop a player from using an essential movement option. It would be like trying to have a rule against sprinting or sprinting while reloading. I don't even think it's a rule that should be allowed to be in place, frankly.

I view server rules like "No M24 on Inner" as something a server admin should be able to limit in the server settings themselves (and maybe they can, I haven't operated a server for a while). Rules like that are, in my opinion, benefits to having your own server. I don't think having your own server extends to you the right to try to legislate how people move within the mechanics of the game.
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,099Player
    edited July 2017
    Don't think hop or zig zag is the issue . This any player would do . We have a server rule no excessive bunny hopping or constant bobbing up and down . If a player binds keys they can bob up and down similtanously when standing against an opponent you will find the opponent will epmy a full clip just to find the one bobbing up and down fires one shot and gets the kill . And people say it does not affect the hit box .
    I would like to see an aim penalty attached to excessive bobbing just as the take breath after running to steady your aim not just be able to quick scope accurately after such amount of chapter movemens .
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    [...]
    In any first person shooter with jumping a player who jumps up and down to avoid being shot is sometimes called a bunny hopper. This is a very basic technique that only works against inexperienced opponents.
    [...]
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafe-jumping#Bunny_hopping

I think this points it out quite nicely especially the last sentence. If there's anyone to blame for not hitting shots, it's the player shooting or the netcode but definitely not the opponent for being able to use the basic conrol keys.

Leaving issues like lag and netcode aside and looking at the jumping mechanic only I don't see any issues with it per se. It's a valid "tactic" to force the opponent into proper aiming rather than running away in a straight line. If there are netcode related issues that's something to take up to the devs but forcing weird rules onto players instead just sounds like a bad excuse for bad aim.

In the end it's private servers though so the "We pay, we say." rule definitely applies here.
    SSKnecabo wrote: »
    [...]
    In any first person shooter with jumping a player who jumps up and down to avoid being shot is sometimes called a bunny hopper. This is a very basic technique that only works against inexperienced opponents.
    [...]
    In the end it's private servers though so the "We pay, we say." rule definitely applies here.

There are limits to that though. A server that kicks people who sprint or ADS, for example, shouldn't be allowed to report stats/points.
  • =IK=Juggernaut=IK=Juggernaut Posts: 69Player
    edited July 2017
    First of all, I'd like to assert that you technically cannot bunny hop in AAPG. Bunny hopping occurs when you have the ability to hop over and over with no interruptions. The game mechanics in AAPG do not allow this.

Secondly, I've been accused of bunny hopping for jumping around a corner. Many times I can hear an enemy set up around a corner, and I know that if I just walk out in the open, there's a 100% chance I'll be dead. Especially on 12v12 servers when you only have 1 nade and 2 flashes, you don't always have the option of throwing something.

Thirdly, even if I do jump around a corner to try and shoot someone who is camping, I still have the tactical disadvantage! I have to wait until I land from my jump, I have to find the actual location of my enemy, and I have to aim perfectly. The other guy is already watching the corner, and most likely already scoped. All he has to do is pull the trigger. It's NOT easy to land the "jump around the corner shot!"

So, I definitely don't see anything wrong with jumping in this game... Also, I've noticed that I only get called out for "bunny hopping" when I'm having a good round... When I don't land the "jump around the corner shot" everything is just fine and dandy!

So, I guess I'm saying that if I had a server, I wouldn't make that rule... I think it's a vital part of the game, because it gives me a better chance to engage a camper than just strolling around a corner, or doing a slow lean.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    I'm more a fan of rapid crouch (bobbing) :lol:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

First of all, I'd like to assert that you technically cannot bunny hop in AAPG. Bunny hopping occurs when you have the ability to hop over and over with no interruptions. The game mechanics in AAPG do not allow this.

Secondly, I've been accused of bunny hopping for jumping around a corner. Many times I can hear an enemy set up around a corner, and I know that if I just walk out in the open, there's a 100% chance I'll be dead. Especially on 12v12 servers when you only have 1 nade and 2 flashes, you don't always have the option of throwing something.

Thirdly, even if I do jump around a corner to try and shoot someone who is camping, I still have the tactical disadvantage! I have to wait until I land from my jump, I have to find the actual location of my enemy, and I have to aim perfectly. The other guy is already watching the corner, and most likely already scoped. All he has to do is pull the trigger. It's NOT easy to land the "jump around the corner shot!"

So, I definitely don't see anything wrong with jumping in this game... Also, I've noticed that I only get called out for "bunny hopping" when I'm having a good round... When I don't land the "jump around the corner shot" everything is just fine and dandy!

So, I guess I'm saying that if I had a server, I wouldn't make that rule... I think it's a vital part of the game, because it gives me a better chance to engage a camper than just strolling around a corner, or doing a slow lean.

Well said.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,608Beta Tester
    The thing that hardly ANYONE does is work as a team to clear an area. I suspect that would happen if lone wolf tactics didn't work in the base game. THAT is how I think this should be addressed. Make the game work the way people want and avoid overpowered actions.

Frankly, I don't consider 'camping' to be a problem. The problem is a limited loadout and round timer, with irrational lean peeks and corner/camera geometry. The idea that we have to rush against corner geometry is what pushes 'creativity.'
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • -=M|K|H=-Yaarg-=M|K|H=-Yaarg Posts: 1Player
    My two cents.

While it is annoying to deal with the leaping and shooting, when minor lag is involved and the enemy appears to be shooting in mid air, It IS a valid tactic.

To state that it is not "realistic" is true. However, there are several unrealistic things that those who complain about hopping are very guilty of, like standing on a thin metal hand rail in military gear firing a weapon accurately? Yeah, right. Shooting accurately between the gaps in metal rail from west stairs to up and over in hospital? Yeah right. Hanging out of up and over window frames by a pinkie toe? Yet these things are done in game... thus bunny hopping is a tactic that one has to deal with as well.

• =IK=Juggernaut=IK=Juggernaut Posts: 69Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    The thing that hardly ANYONE does is work as a team to clear an area. I suspect that would happen if lone wolf tactics didn't work in the base game. THAT is how I think this should be addressed. Make the game work the way people want and avoid overpowered actions.

Frankly, I don't consider 'camping' to be a problem. The problem is a limited loadout and round timer, with irrational lean peeks and corner/camera geometry. The idea that we have to rush against corner geometry is what pushes 'creativity.'

I have no problem with camping, but most people in a pub have no interest in the real team tactics needed to counter it. Believe me... I try, but most of the time it's like I'm talking to a brick wall.

I don't think that jumping is an OP action... Try supported position ;-)
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    [...]
    [...]

There are limits to that though. A server that kicks people who sprint or ADS, for example, shouldn't be allowed to report stats/points.

Surely rules like that are ridiculous but you can't really enforce a policy like that.
  • .XFi^BouRne!.XFi^BouRne! Posts: 22Player
    That is why I mostly play in Official Servers, and try to avoid community servers that have silly rules. I personally do not use "bunny hopping", but I see others using it and it really doesn't bother me because I can hit them just as I can hit any other moving target. You just gotta adjust your aim on the fly and adapt to the opponent's style of play.

Restricting the style of play of other players is dictatorial and lame in my opinion. If some peeps feel warm inside restricting the game-play for others, let them be happy in their empty servers.
    My two cents.

ss_4_.XFi%5EBouRne%21.png
    [...]
    [...]

Surely rules like that are ridiculous but you can't really enforce a policy like that.

Well a more extreme example IIRC was the old Unstable server banning anyone good. I believe there was talk that they could lose their server auth.
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 601Beta Tester
    I agree with the majority here: 'bunny hopping' is not a big issue. (Even if the definition of bunny hopping if somewhat unclear and changes from game to game.)

I personally see jumping around corners as tactical choice: I can throw off my opponents set-up aim at a cost of my shooting ability. Sometimes it can work. I understand if some server admins don't like this, because you can shoot as soon as your toe touches the ground plus there is latency involved, so sometimes it feels like the enemy didn't even finish the jump when he fired and this can be especially frustrating. So I can live with a 'no extensive jumping around corners' policy, but it bring up the question about what 'extensive' means blah, blah...

However, I was just shocked when a server admin (I won't mention names) gave me a 'first and final' warning for bunny hopping, because I zig-zag sprinted/jumped/slid my way from Dark Room the Extraction with the flag on Inner, because I didn't really have other options (too little time for too many enemies). Should I only walk in a straight line and give warning shots before blowing off your head as well?! Surely it makes me a harder target, but it doesn't give me any direct benefit. Jumping alone wouldn't save me without the other stuff, so I don't understand why it is so bad to throw jumping into the dodging-mix...

About the realism: it is realistic enough for this game. Yes, jumping could have harsher penalties, I agree, but the fundamental game mechanics are good.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    I believe I've had an admin say something to me because I ran from defense spawn to dark room at the beginning of the round jumping at random.

As others have said, one jump around a corner isn't "bunny hopping" anyway.
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,481Player
    More sway on the gun is what's needed after jumping lets be honest in real life if you jump your gun is not perfectly level when you land it take a second to aim again after the jump.
    But I don't think the dev's will add more sway after jumping :(
    gKQ6BB2.png
This discussion has been closed.