Radeon 6970

Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a 6970 would allow me to play on Med-High settings @ 1920x1080p? I'm currently running on low @ 720p resolution, which to say isn't very pleasing to the eye (though it runs a near consistent 40fps). I can pick up a 6970, slightly used, for 80-90$. Would get me playing at higher graphical fidelity?

Thanks for reading and for any support!

Specs:
i5-4670k @ 4.2ghz
8Gb of ram

ss_4_Root-Access.png
"I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis

Comments

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    that's quite an old card. and for a used card, that price seems high considering how weak it is for today's standards..
    -
    i have no clue about how good it would be for this game. what framerate you'd get, etc... my guess is that it would struggle, considering this game mostly runs on a single cpu core and only uses about 1/2 your gpu...
    -
    you can get new current generation card for about $200, something like gtx960 is less than 6 months old and roughly twice as strong as that card. definitely seems the better investment unless you're never going to be able to come up with the extra $110 difference...

• Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    edited June 2015
    Hello and thank you for the reply! :)
    _
    Unfortunately I do have a very tight budget. I spend a lot of my extra "spending" cash on medical bills and medicine for my cats and dogs so it doesn't leave much for me to play with after. I plan on upgrading in a year or two so I can play Star Citizen, so it wouldn't be a permanent solution.
    _
    How would a R9 280/x or 270/x perform then? I could try to square away some extra cash to reach 150$ mark (local tech place has it around that price every one and a while).
    _
    *what's up with the posts not keeping spaces?

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,077Moderator
    edited June 2015
    the 280x is as fast as a 7970GHZ, not a bad choice.
    the 270x is about 25% faster than a 6970.

the 280x is about 30% faster than the 270x

Translated into framerates it should be at about +60fps for the 270x and +80fps for the 280x @ 1080, high settings.
    (based on benchmarks from a different UE3 game, ymmv)
    ss_4_frankof.png
    edited June 2015
    Hello frankof and thank you for the reply!
    frankof wrote: »
    the 280x is as fast as a 7970GHZ, not a bad choice.
    the 270x is about 25% faster than a 6970.
    the 280x is about 30% faster than the 270x
    I'm assuming that's really good news. :D Could they allow me to at least play on Med-High mix @ 1080p?
    _
    I'd be moving off of HD4600 by the way. :p

edit

ah! just saw your edit! That's really good news! I think I found my choice of cards. B)

ss_4_Root-Access.png
  • SoldierBobSoldierBob Posts: 76Player
    edited June 2015
    I have same graphics card, I get between 30-90 although when I uncap the framerate I have seen it got to 120 FPS with standard medium options, depends on map, whats happening infront of me and how high I set the options how low it can get, but even then with everything on high I never seen it ever drop below 30 no matter what.

When I cap frames at 60, it sits between 50/60 nicely. It's not the best, but it's plenty good enough to play the game with. I can take screenshots of my options and framerate while playing if you want?

and posts put spaces on google chrome. maybe your not using it?

If you can get better though, get better, it will help with other more modern games too :)
    Hello SoldierBob! :)
    _
    That would be extremely kind of you to do, and I would surely appreciate it. If a 90$ purchase can hold me over until SC comes out that would be great. If not to purchase for myself, for my little brother (he doesn't game much but he does game on some demanding content).
    _
    As for the spaces, it doesn't appear in others' posts either. I'll test out other browsers.

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    Hello SoldierBob! :)
    As for the spaces, it doesn't appear in others' posts either. I'll test out other browsers.
    For some reason, the forum is set to strip out line breaks, its annoying, but i think it will be fixed, some day.
    ss_4_frankof.png
    Well...some good news!
    _
    Amazon had the Sapphire 280 3gb (non x) for 169.99$ brand new and I couldn't see why I couldn't squeeze a few more bucks into it from my 150$ budget...so bought it. I'm hoping that even if it wasn't a 280x it was still a good purchase for at least two years until SC comes out! I'm stoked either way, way better than iGPU! B)
    _
    Looking forward to finally playing the game at settings beyond 720p!

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    edited June 2015
    theres a 10-15% performance shortage on the 280 vs 280x, but yeah, its way better than the integrated.
    ss_4_frankof.png