UMM Shader Issue Fix - OFFICIAL

Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
edited June 2017 in Mission Editor - Support
Synopsis: In order to solve the Main Menu/Shader Rebuild issue, UMMs need to be re-seared and re-published to build new shaders for some materials that have been changed for PS4.

Recommendation: When republishing, indicate in some way that the map has been updated/fixed so we don't run into that old problem where we don't know which maps will run and which will cause issues. You could add something like "2017" to the map name, or add a note in the workshop page.

NOTE:
I have been advised by management :p that the UMM 'kick to Main Menu/Shader Rebuild' issue is due to some terrain material optimizations that were done for the PS4 game version. To prevent the shaders for UMMs having to be constantly rebuilt at runtime, pretty much all of the maps need to be re-seared and re-published by the authors to update the shaders stored in the map.

I personally know how much of a pain it's been, so although this will take some work, it should be fixable and apparently no changes are 'presently' expected to these materials so we should only have to do this once.

It's still A LOT better than before the shaders were built-in and we had to locally store a shader for each newly-played map.

Please give feedback here if there are any problems with a map AFTER the re-publish! AND....Please pass this info around to all UMM server owners and the map makers so we can flood the Workshop with new content that will not cause the servers to clear out!
______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.

Comments

• DELTATHUND3RDELTATHUND3R Posts: 123Moderator
    Good post. Updating all map versions tonight..
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    I'm looking for a break point. It may be possible that newer maps are already okay.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,054Player
    When was this change made . As we still have this issue with some players being kicked with shader rebuilding . Even if we have not changed a map
  • Goose_FewGoose_Few Posts: 8Beta Tester
    Thank you for the post Keebler. And [Devs] for the solution.

Been kicked too many times for that reason, ot funnny a all.
    Muzza, I'm trying to find out. See post above yours.
    ______

• ChickenChicken Posts: 13Beta Tester
    When was this change made . As we still have this issue with some players being kicked with shader rebuilding . Even if we have not changed a map

I think, from what I understand, "even if we have not changed a map" does not matter. The materials the map uses have changed therefore even though the author has not made any changes himself the assets he is using have. Therefore the "searing" becomes null and void and needs to be redone.....
    Newer maps may well have been created since this change but "better safe than sorry" sounds like a good line to take until/if we get the cut of date of the change occurrence.
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 642Player
    makes sense, the older maps that haven't been re-published since they implemented open gl , which also gives a lot more material errors at publish, unless you make materials into material instance constants , probably doesn't affect people using stock stuff as much as people who import textures
  • RedBaron64(ITA)RedBaron64(ITA) Posts: 173Player
    Sorry, but only re-seared? No need to rebuild paths/lights?
    edited June 2017
    Sorry, but only re-seared? No need to rebuild paths/lights?

good one , do we have to rebuild for the shaders to be correct?
    or just re published?
    I don't have a definitive answer, so I'm going to recommend a full rebuild to be sure. I do know that it is the searing that puts the shaders into the map, but I'm not sure if it updates based on the light build...

______

hey kebbler,
    is there a list of what materials were changed or was it all stock mats ?
    landscape materials or asset mats ?
    Assume that ALL of those assets were optimized. Otherwise we'll have to dig pretty deep to sift through whose map needs an update.

However, I don't actually have a list...
    ______

• DELTATHUND3RDELTATHUND3R Posts: 123Moderator
    You would have to rebuild your map.
    In any case I came across an issue last night ,one of maps landscape was full of holes.Player would fall through landscape on certain blend points. Very strange indeed.
    So if any other mapper had this issue please post here.
    have rebuilt a few tonight and wll continue another night on some more :angry:
    delta, ive had that happen , had to take a map down , because after a patch people fell through what was good before , rebuilding didn't fix it either
    Well, it's been awhile. Anyone noticing an improvement due to the instructions in this thread?

I noticed that switching to a brand new UMM still caused the issue, so I'm wondering if I have to remove all old UMMs before I see a difference. (Or...if it's working at all!)

?
    ______

Any comment on my above post (from ten days ago....) ?
    ______

weve noticed it helped on a few maps that would go to aa entry , but now after a full build they load easier
    So it has proved to be useful info? I'm worried because I put my name on it and I'm not sure it's worked!

:p
    ______