shadow bleed and reverb

Comments

• ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,054Player
    also i have noticed on lots of umms the sound is so bad ...ie. no reverb set . so the echo of gunfire is distorted and way too long and high pitch
    if any of u guys want to know how to set this for the whole map ask and i will post here too,,, u must say if your map is mainly bsp or static mesh for me too reply.
    edited May 2017
    just incase above image does not work added an imgur link too
    cHCEN2h.png
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    Oh. I thought you had a permanent fix for shadow bleed. Can't have bleed if you don't have shadows! That just turns shadows off...which USED to work in server settings. At least it can be selectively for just interiors, I suppose. Your idea will save on map size due to less shadowmaps though!

You got my hopes up, Muzza! ;s
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    it is a selective fix for mappers m8 . although i dont understand why offical maps do not have these settings on some meshes to stop a shadow on the other side of a wall or under flooring , we did this because it gives position away on a map that has single layer flooring.
    most floors are made up of two layers so why are the lower layers not set to these values also quite a lot of walls the same so having one layer set to these values would stop shadow bleed would it not .doesn,t just turn off shadows , uses pre computed shadows ,
    if the floor u stand on accepting shadows bleeds through but if u are underneath looking up at a false ceiling ie ceiling tiles why not set to those values therefore stopping the shadow bleed . this could be done on most official maps that have dual layer flooring and dual layer walls.
    i am sure that most players would complain less about not having shadows on everything than they do about shadows bleeding through every mesh.
    edited May 2017
    heres an example
    flo_checkout ex map . furniture side is made from 2 meshes inner wall and outer wall .
    set the inside mesh as normal and then set the outside mesh as my picture , surely this will then stop shadow bleed , so when an enemy is against the wall in upper furniture against the wall his shadow would not be visible on the outer skin but he would see it on the inner one.
    edited May 2017
    Ah. I see how you're applying it. :+1: I still think that a true FIX for bleed would be nice!!!

The tricky part of your solution would be that any EXTERIOR surfaces may suffer for a 'No Shadow' issue in order to cure the INSIDE one. :(
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    i would rather have non shadowing of a mesh than shadow bleed from the inside out m8 any day
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 642Player
    also i have noticed on lots of umms the sound is so bad ...ie. no reverb set . so the echo of gunfire is distorted and way too long and high pitch
    if any of u guys want to know how to set this for the whole map ask and i will post here too,,, u must say if your map is mainly bsp or static mesh for me too reply.

why the difference of bsp or static mesh ? , just interested
    edited May 2017
    deli,s sd hospital is a mix of static mesh and bsp/ layers , the umm fix works on all static mesh but not all bsp, not sure why but thats the way it went . so added reverb volumes to the bits that it didnt fix
    Yes, I agree, Muzza, and I think we ALL hate that shadow bleed issue. I think to be proper, it would take an Unreal Engine fix, which is of course what the Devs have said all along.
    ______

ahhh so you just changing settings on static meshes , not so much adding reverb volume to each room and setting priority, sound volume ,and touch events , within each reverb volume
    edited May 2017
    3 stages to set up basic reverb for inside and outside on a blank map , u need only add the correct banks into your kismet , then try your map if it does not affect your bsp buildings thenn u will have to add reverb volumes aswell,
    sJwythy.png
    s4R9GX7.png
    EL934N0.png
    edited May 2017
    that's how all maps should be set , making sure level loaded is set to client side only,

i take it your placing reverb volume on your map as well , not only setting the banks ;
    you can also change reverb volume from default , depending on your type of map ,
    yep , i use the reverbs for inside outside sounds and then if needed setting diferent reverb situations per map , like cooperscove no echo on gunfire for the beach but as u get close to cliffs more echo on gunfire
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Ah. I see how you're applying it. :+1: I still think that a true FIX for bleed would be nice!!!

The tricky part of your solution would be that any EXTERIOR surfaces may suffer for a 'No Shadow' issue in order to cure the INSIDE one. :(

ok so we have used this method on deltons sd hospital , maybe u guys know in the upper entrance from big hospital if a player is below you he can see your shadow below through the flooring .this floor and under ceiling are two seperate layers. we have used these settings for the false ceiling underneath and its works a dream , no more shadow bleed , but the player on top can still see his shadow on the floor.
    Yes. Dual layers work but have a resource cost. If you had a lot of this it would be a problem. Proper fix would be one-sided shadows.

:(
    ______