Server settings (shadows/spotting)

Hello guys, we have TWL tournament going in Europe, starting in NA also. One of the rules is to have shadows off and enemy reporting (spotting) off.
The ini file say that if should be both disabled, but they are still working, any tips what might be wrong?
bDefaultShadowsAllowed=false
bDefaultHUD_ForceInWorldEnemySpots=false

Comments

• }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 629Administrator
    Maybe turning on hardcore mode? Make sure that before you make changes to your server you Stop the server. Then go and change your servers ini then Save the new ini. Now start the server and then restart it. That should do it.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,413Beta Tester
    I just tested the Shadow setting on my server. It used to work...now it doesn't!!! I used 'false' and could still see player shadows.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 934Player
    We have tried this too . Thinking now shadows on is hard coded . And cannot be changed.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    The shadows are literally broken since years.
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 934Player
    No not broken just static mesh on maps not set correct to stop shadows being visible on the other side ( shadow bleeding ) I spent some time on 1 of my maps and 1 of deltons .
    Sd Oil rig and successfully stopped this effect on oil rig as it has multiple floors giving away your position..
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 456Beta Tester
    What happens if you set it to true? Maybe the setting got reversed?
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    No not broken just static mesh on maps not set correct to stop shadows being visible on the other side ( shadow bleeding ) I spent some time on 1 of my maps and 1 of deltons .
    Sd Oil rig and successfully stopped this effect on oil rig as it has multiple floors giving away your position..

Muzza...if you have a specific way to fix this, I'm sure a lot of people would be VERY happy if you'd share the technique. The shadow bleed issue has been a thorn in the side for a long time!

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    see shadow bleed post

Where?
    ______

• -[iG]-Leketiskis-[iG]-Leketiskis Posts: 127Player
    so is there any way to fix this with next update? :) its either fixing shadow thing going trow floors, walls, or disabling them in competition, right now both things not working :)
    And also the spotting thing, even though i don't understand why is that disabled, since reported enemy location no longer follow trow walls :) off-course AA2 report system was best in my opinion, would still love to have it :)
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    edited May 2017
    so is there any way to fix this with next update? :) its either fixing shadow thing going trow floors, walls, or disabling them in competition, right now both things not working :)
    And also the spotting thing, even though i don't understand why is that disabled, since reported enemy location no longer follow trow walls :) off-course AA2 report system was best in my opinion, would still love to have it :)

The reporting was originally disabled so you can't spam your spotting key while quick leaning corners and have the enemies marked without actually seeing them yourself. Now that the spotting has a cooldown, turning it back on might be something to consider. In the end it's about if you want to be able to spot enemies proning in bushes without actually seeing them or not. Personally as much as I hate bushes in this game I still wouldn't want it to be enabled again. I guess this is something you might wanna bring up on TWL forums though and see what the other players think about it.

As for the shadows there is little to no hope, that issue has been discussed before.
    edited May 2017
    Forget the 'no hope' thing! It USED to work.... (Server setting, not bleed) I worked on this issue myself when the setting was reversed.

I've escalated this issue for internal testing. Stay tuned.
    ______

This server setting issue has been verified faulty (again!) and bug reported. Thanks for bringing it up!
    ______

• -[iG]-Leketiskis-[iG]-Leketiskis Posts: 127Player
    edited May 2017
    you guys checking on both?
    bDefaultShadowsAllowed=false

nice to see fast reaction ;)
    This is going to sound stupid, but I rarely use the spot feature so I concentrated on the one setting. It was a pet peeve of mine since I already worked on a bug for it a while back.

I'll look into the other one too. My bad! :s
    ______

edited May 2017

I got this to work in my server in the current public version (BUILD#212105). Also, when I use the ESC menu and go to Server Info it shows the spots as "Disabled" with that ini setting set to 'false.'

Are you still having difficulty with this server setting?
    ______

• -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-ACI--[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-ACI- Posts: 362Beta Tester
    Make sure that before you make changes to your server you Stop the server. Then go and change your servers ini then Save the new ini. Now start the server and then restart it. That should do it.

Here is a little side note I just discovered this week..

We have been testing a new server host, and I was getting so frustrated the ini was not saving finally I sent a ticket and said what is up??? LOL This server is the first server I ever seen where I have to leave the server live, edit the files, then restart the server.. This is with EOReality, So editing when turned off may not work with some hosts, depending on their set up I guess.

One day I will graduate noob school!!!
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!