America’s Army: Proving Grounds deploys on PS4 this summer

Comments

• -pR|Arkeiro-pR|Arkeiro Posts: 751Player
    TheTots wrote: »
    The system fills a server with 8v8 and then balances the teams based on skill. It just spins up a server and puts bodies in it. There aren't dedicated servers in a browser. We just make them on a need base.

why isn't that being applied on pc yet?

Over 1.3k Golden Hawkeyes.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    It's subject to change, currently just raw KDA.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

The system fills a server with 8v8 and then balances the teams based on skill. It just spins up a server and puts bodies in it. There aren't dedicated servers in a browser. We just make them on a need base.

It comes with downsides. You don't get to pick your server or team. You don't get to play a static map. You're just in a rotation.

The server browser would basically be gone. You would just have a play button and end up wherever the system puts you.

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,186Player

It comes with downsides. You don't get to pick your server or team. You don't get to play a static map. You're just in a rotation.

The server browser would basically be gone. You would just have a play button and end up wherever the system puts you.

How on earth would people choose inner if you went and did such a silly thing!? :lol:

Thanks for clearing up the reasoning for 8v8, makes sense :+1: I'm just a more the merrier type of player. Blame games like Battlefield and the fun I've had playing full FLO AAPG maps for that :lol:

I didn't really think about the impact of 1 life, no respawn FPS gaming on a console and the subsequent waiting to get back in the game either..
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• [Dev]Rawrster[Dev]Rawrster Posts: 329Developer
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Hmm. So, are you working on algorithms to deal with the skill? How do the teams get "balanced?"

Yes, we have a full team balance system working behind the scenes. Without getting in to too much detail (it can get pretty technical) we determine player skill (currently based on KDR, but that could change after the Beta period) and assign that player a rating based on their skill. Then at the beginning of every match we take all the players and balance them out such that each team's average skill rating is as close as we can get it. We maintain our current rules about team sizes though. Our system won't balance things so that one team has more players than the other team (with the exception of an odd number of players) but it will try to balance things as best it can within that restriction.

If a player joins a match in progress they will be placed on the team that needs players (in the case of an odd number of players on the server) and will join the team that needs a skill bump in the case that team sizes are even.

The big caveat here is that we never break up parties. You WILL play on the same team as the friends you are partied with.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,121Player
    I find it amusing that certain things that PC players had been asking about for years are going to be part of the PS4 release.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    I guess the reason for not adding this on pc is the small playerbase?
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    What about stuff like XP/min as an additional criterion, Rawrster? I've looked at that as a more true measure of my own play.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,186Player
    PC games are well known for their freedom, in that you get to choose where and with whom you play with/against.. it's something console players have always wanted but can't really/adequately get :lol:

I understand why some people think matchmaking is important to players, heck we've talked about it/wanted it for years :lol: .. but how may people who play(ed) AAPG clicked "play now" or "quick join" whatever it was called? (is that still in?) which of course would discount your choice to pick map/server, that's the only way I think they could do it for PC.

Do people who play on PC really want that sort of thing? For comp purposes maybe, but then wouldn't you want to be with your clan friends against others? or are we talking pure anti pub-stomping, anti noob-bashing measures here? that would be good I think, but still back to the issue, will you click play now/quick join? or for discussions sakes.. a matchmake button?
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• -hyperlite--hyperlite- Posts: 102Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    I find it amusing that certain things that PC players had been asking about for years are going to be part of the PS4 release.

Ain't that the truth. The irony in this thread is on a whole new level
    PC games are well known for their freedom, in that you get to choose where and with whom you play with/against.. it's something console players have always wanted but can't really/adequately get :lol:

I understand why some people think matchmaking is important to players, heck we've talked about it/wanted it for years :lol: .. but how may people who play(ed) AAPG clicked "play now" or "quick join" whatever it was called? (is that still in?) which of course would discount your choice to pick map/server, that's the only way I think they could do it for PC.

Do people who play on PC really want that sort of thing? For comp purposes maybe, but then wouldn't you want to be with your clan friends against others? or are we talking pure anti pub-stomping, anti noob-bashing measures here? that would be good I think, but still back to the issue, will you click play now/quick join? or for discussions sakes.. a matchmake button?

I always use the quick play button in bf1 even if there is a server browser. You are put into a game with decent ping and more importantly other players (even at your skill level supposedly). No need to look for the lowest ping, populated server and get angry when it's all inner only. If you were able to choose bdx or flo I'd expect people to use that. Probably just not enough with the small playerbase to make the addition worth it.
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    What about stuff like XP/min as an additional criterion, Rawrster? I've looked at that as a more true measure of my own play.

Agreed. We've looked at KDR, XP/min, Round Win Ratio, and some combinations of Criteria. Our case testing has shown best result with KDR up to this point, but we will know more when things go live with Beta Testing and a much larger sample size. We will be pretty flexible on this early on to find the best solution.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    Right on, Rawr. Be interesting to see how it 'develops' :D
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 289Player
    Is said matchmaking something that will make its way to PC?
  • [kT]Dominus[kT]Dominus Posts: 85Player
    For the love of god, if you put matchmaking in 5v5 in PC with ranks, you guys would bring in more players. If you could do it on Ps4 surely it can happen on PC right?
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    How are accounts going to be handled? Will they function the same or just about the same way?

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
    Accounts will be tied to your Playstation account. There won't be any cross-account sharing. Meaning you couldn't bring your PC stats/rank/etc over to console or vise versa.

Accounts will be tied to your Playstation account. There won't be any cross-account sharing. Meaning you couldn't bring your PC stats/rank/etc over to console or vise versa.

I'm not sure this is 100% correct. I know we will have it set up where you can link your Playstation account to your PC account. I'm just not sure if those stats get combined or if they sit separately.

I'm not sure this is 100% correct. I know we will have it set up where you can link your Playstation account to your PC account. I'm just not sure if those stats get combined or if they sit separately.

Combined wouldn't make any sense to me if you are going to determine "skill" for matchmaking. PC and console can be way different depending on the player ofc.
  • Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »

Ain't that the truth. The irony in this thread is on a whole new level

Just wish they'd actually address as to why this is instead of the usual step-around