America’s Army: Proving Grounds deploys on PS4 this summer

Comments

• Hc|CAPTAIN(HUN)Hc|CAPTAIN(HUN) Posts: 110Player
    So I dont know how this works. But did you guys hired new devs to take care about the ps4 version. Or your team got split and so there will be even more less attention on the pc development?

Hc|Captain(HUN) -
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    edited May 2017
    Holy bananas! This is a totally unexpected update! Is it cross-play? Also, does this mean there is hope for a Linux client after all?!

([TOS Violation] that my PS access is gone xD)

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 549Beta Tester
    Nice! I don't have a PS4 so I won't play it, but I hope AAPG will be a success on the console.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 351Player
    Awesome news. I don't own a ps4 myself but afaik the next ps (ps5) is only due in 2019/2020 so nice move.
    Oh well.
  • DOMINATION.DOMINATION. Posts: 83Player
    Will definitely give the ps4 version a go when it is available for Europe.

I like that Sandstorm preview can cannot wait for the summer patch.

Thanks for the continued support Devs! :+1:

• [Dev]Rawrster[Dev]Rawrster Posts: 329Developer
    index.hu wrote: »
    So I dont know how this works. But did you guys hired new devs to take care about the ps4 version. Or your team got split and so there will be even more less attention on the pc development?

Same team. While you could say the team got "split" for this, our team is always split between X number of projects, so it is kind of business as normal there. Also, some work we have been doing will carry across both versions, like Sandstorm and some weapon skins. We also still have some PC exclusive work still going on like a few other maps I'm not going to mention by name right now and some of the User Made weapons skins.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    Since the PS4 version is 8v8, does that mean that those players won't play against PC-based AAPGers?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Since the PS4 version is 8v8, does that mean that those players won't play against PC-based AAPGers?

Correct. PC and PS4 are two separate entities. While the core game is essentially the same, there are some differences between the two. PS4 has a much more limited selection of maps (let's call it "curated"), anchoring has been removed, and there have been adjustments to weapon behaviors to name a few examples.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,186Player
    And yes, still 100% free. PS+ Members will get some bonus content in terms of some unlocked weapon skins that you (Uni-Sol) may find very familiar.

Oooo you little charmer :mrgreen:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• [kT]Dominus[kT]Dominus Posts: 85Player
    8v8 [TOS Violation] yeah dude, finally maybe a server will stay full that I want to play on
  • Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    Unless i missed something I'm pretty sure 8v8 is only PS4

• Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    edited May 2017
    I was about to say "aren't all players PS+ members if they are playing online?" but but apparently F2P games do not require PS+ access. I never knew!

Is it possible to have a "split" screen feature in the game for PS4? Os is that something disabled or impossible via the console itself?

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • 1SG-J.Rizzo[3rdID]1SG-J.Rizzo[3rdID] Posts: 81Player
    Devs,

Other than a new map-pack for the PC community, please tell us you have some type of optimization plans for us.
    J.Rizzo.jpg

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,186Player
    Is there a reason for being exclusively 8v8? I know many would disagree but I've always enjoyed playing with/against players in FPS games with as many people as possible.

Why such a limit?
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• [hwy]echokilo[hwy]echokilo Posts: 2Player
    AAPG on PS4? This is going to be good with the likes of high end keyboard and mouse adapters on PS4 like XIM4 which is way cheaper than upgrading graphic card, monitor, or even a whole new computer just to get a better AAPG experience. I can already see a big showdown between players using keyboard+mouse vs PS4 controller.
    Is it possible to have a "split" screen feature in the game for PS4? Os is that something disabled or impossible via the console itself?

This certainly isn't impossible on the console, but it is not something we have implemented at this time.
    Is there a reason for being exclusively 8v8? I know many would disagree but I've always enjoyed playing with/against players in FPS games with as many people as possible.

Why such a limit?

We went 8v8 for a number of reasons. We didn't want to break players up in to multiple groups (BDX v FLO) mainly because we don't really know what to expect in terms of how big our playerbase will be. 8v8 seemed like a good middle ground for that. It allows us to bring in any of our existing maps, from some of our smaller BDX maps to our bigger FLO maps, and have them work for this number of players without modification.

It also allows us to gets players in to a match as quickly as possible. We can just have a "Play" button on the main menu. You click it and go. We don't have to waste time asking if you want to play a BDX or FLO. We also only have to find 15 other players who are a good for you in matchmaking instead of 23, which should shorten our matchmaking times a bit.

Then there is performance. With less players there are less character models to worry about rendering at a single time. This hasn't really been much of an issue for us at 8v8, so I'm not sure if it would cause problems at 12v12, but it was nice for us to know we had less things to worry about in this area.
    Wait.....you said "matchmaking".........?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    I did. You load up the game, click 'Play' and we get you in game in a low-ping environment as quickly as possible. If you want to play with your friends, no worries. Just party up in game and we can take care of that too.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    edited May 2017
    The system fills a server with 8v8 and then balances the teams based on skill. It just spins up a server and puts bodies in it. There aren't dedicated servers in a browser. We just make them on a need base.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

Hmm. So, are you working on algorithms to deal with the skill? How do the teams get "balanced?"
    ______