AMD Driver 17.4.1 (game does not launch)

Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
Hello,

The game doesn't launch on the latest driver from AMD. It reports that the card does not support alpha blending and since it is needed, it refuses to launch. Here is the full message:

R5KATm2.png

Is there anyway to fix this without reverting drivers? I need the latest driver for a problem I had + a few games like Mass Effect: Andromeda require it.

Thanks for any help!

ss_4_Root-Access.png
"I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis

Comments

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,077Moderator
    sounds like its a corrupt driver install rather than an actual problem.
    Uninstall the drivers and other vc software (is driver cleaner still available?)
    Then reinstall the current driver
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    edited April 2017
    frankof wrote: »
    sounds like its a corrupt driver install rather than an actual problem.
    Uninstall the drivers and other vc software (is driver cleaner still available?)
    Then reinstall the current driver

I thought so too, but I used AMD's Driver Uninstall utility to retry and the problem persists. I even tried booting in Safe Mode, uninstalling and using a utility to clean the PC, reboot and install but same thing happens.

And using 17.3.3 on Windows 10 (separate OS drive) works but upgrading to 17.4.1 gives the same problem.

EDIT

Just double checked. Reverting to 17.3.3 on the original OS (Win7) fixes the issue but isn't a solution. :(

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,077Moderator
    I guess you found a bug with the drivers then.
    Are you able to launch the game through a shortcut rather than through steam?
    ss_4_frankof.png
    No, it will not launch through shortcuts either. The same pop comes up and then closes.

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    edited April 2017
    Update;

EDIT 2

Okay, finally managed to uninstall everything related to AMD while in Safe Boot and installed 17.2.1, and everything seems to be fine....except America's Army: Proving Grounds. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling to test it, but the game still runs very, very poorly despite the driver change and fix. Could a bad driver "break" this game in the registry? I'm stuck at 12-20fps with massive stuttering. :(

EDIT

AMD has ignored me completely. The issue was so bad that I had to reinstall Windows 7 and install 17.3.3. After that, the issue was gone.

WARNING: Fellow AMD users—use caution with the latest driver, especially if you are on an older card like the old R9 series. If you must absolutely must update, create a system restore point first or expect a broken system that might need a refresh/reinstall..

ss_4_Root-Access.png