Problems with setting objectives - not working like they should

Comments

• ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,099Player
    Keebs , even if u pull maps from small editor now they don't function , u have to do from scratch in big editor.
    I have been helping smuggler along the way with various things when I have time.
    Yesterday I sent him back the file with functioning pylons [ yes pylons ,3 to fill this vast area ] so hope he gets cracking on th 12 v 12 version soon.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    I only had ONE pylon on AllTerrain and never tried to fill the map. Not even close. It's possible that the "bot paths" might have to engulf all ladder volumes though, which I didn't have any of.

I do need to look at the Editors though because I only use the main one.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    if u need more than one pylon because of map area u can use more , in the settings u just add each of the pylons as an imposter pylon to each others settings so it ingores the other when building paths , works a treat .
    What are the pylons needed for, and what happened when you only used ONE?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    Pylon builds ai. This is what runs the map I believe. Without them u will have constant laggy bugging for players , which is what I got on coopers cove first release . Then I found my pylon was not building all the areas needed so looked into all the settings , most say u can only have 1 but no u can have more . Even official maps have more but think devs use pylons and pylon seeds to build all there area.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    Yep, maps need to have at least 1 pylon.. you can resize them so that one works for the whole map. It's not unusual for a map without a pylon to be buggy and not work as intended. As I understand it, a pylon is like a maps brain it ties everything together, collision, defines available play space etc..

After a pylon(s) is/are added, be sure to build paths.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

yep uni but i believe there is a max area for the pylon hence using multiple pylons for larger areas . odd angles and high areas.
    edited April 2017
    I believe quite a bit of what has been written about pylons is a bit of inaccurate speculation. As I said, I've never covered a map surface with the navigation boundaries and it still worked fine. So, one mapper says one thing that gets passed on like a game of Telephone until some of the meaning has been lost.

Why does our map need a 'brain?'

The nav mesh was for bots to move around and not get lost or stuck.

2eSLrNM.jpg

In my map Hostile, I have ONE pylon that does not cover the entire play surface. As you can see from the screen snip above, the greenish PATH boundaries the pylon builds (Hit 'P' in the editor to view them) don't cover the map. In fact, they built on a roof you can't even access. Meanwhile I have two working 5 story elevators and quite a few ladders.

The map works fine.

In my map AllTerrain, as I already said, I have ONE pylon that covers about 1/10th of the map surface (maybe!)

So, since we don't use AI or Bots I'm suspicious that we don't need pylons for much, but that the Unreal Engine expects to find AT LEAST one upon initial map check.

The Devs seem to use the Pylons/NavMesh to make sure the Anchor Points work, but....? No UMMs use them!

https://docs.unrealengine.com/udk/Three/UsingNavigationMeshes.html
    ______

Incidentally, if anyone notices, the spawn point sticking out of the Path Boundary is from the second floor room below, NOT on the roof....
    ______

edited April 2017
    so how does your map function correctly and some do not. do you have spawn barriers in place , have you altered the position of player start points from spawn cone? maybe this is why pylons are needed to cover more area when you alter the spawn zones and player start points . some of the maps i have helped with have multiple placed spawns or seperated start points away from the spawn cone itself, and did not function correctly.as one of mine cooperscove , some will remember its first launch , quite a few players stuck in a slow motion bug . but now run freely. 3 pylons run this
    oxyRQFC.jpg
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 649Player
    pylons are generally for bots , they generate the nav mesh ,
    we use them because they are there , even the biggest of my maps only uses 1 pylon
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    IIRC Wolvie once said that maps need to have a pylon to work correctly, at least that's what something in the back of my brain remembers :lol: but whether they are needed or not, I'd say it's still beneficial to new starters learning the ropes of UE to use them, as who knows, they may one day be needed.

I do know that if you don't have a pylon and choose to build all, the map will report errors.. which can cause confusion and then we get threads like these :lol:

Best to do it and have one, even if it's not necessarily a requirement for a map to function.. than to not include one and run the risk of problems, I guess.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

edited April 2017
    One of the things the pylon DOES do is set the initial player view when entering a map, especially if you have no cameras.

My spawn barriers in that screenshot are in the second floor room. The one cone you see there is a Control Point.
    ______

• (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 649Player
    uni sol
    "IIRC Wolvie once said that maps need to have a pylon to work correctly,"

lol he also told me not to worry about pylon since theres no bots
  • SMUGGLERSMUGGLER Posts: 46Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    How much "older" are the maps? If they are REALLY old, there were version changes in the editor that may affect things.

Oh sry , the maps are not that old, to one point i could make a map based on the Basic ed. on any objective. Then only the VIP mission was working.
  • SMUGGLERSMUGGLER Posts: 46Player
    Thx for all the info guys, it was so easy and fast to pick a map from basic and work on it in advanced :)
    I built and published a test map in the Basic Editor due to some of the things I've been hearing, but it published and played on a server fine. I left everything default just to see what would happen. I used the 3 Obj "Activate" template.

Anyone else having any issues with the Basic Ed still?
    ______

• -=[DISF]=-Max-=[DISF]=-Max Posts: 241Player
    Smuggler, open a basic template, reopen it in an advanced editor, and copy only the meshes of your map, (I repeat, just meshes). Landscape "terrain", Pylon, respawns, masterlight and objs must be of the new template. So you should solve it.
    ah keebs did u do it all in basic editor , some people basic does not function some do . for me its hit and miss , think the bug happens when u take a template from basic and open in full editor build all then publish breaks something m8 .
    try it
  • -=[DISF]=-Max-=[DISF]=-Max Posts: 241Player
    In what mode? C4? . I have tested now the template "small", it is stable and it works. Send me the file I see if I can help.