Sound hack or super sound card and headphones?

Hello guys,

So I have this question on my mind that I have not been able to answer.

Is there anything called sound hack? In other words, hacking the maximum sound allowed?

On InnerHospital, there is this one player, ONLY ONE, that can hear sounds that I can never hear on my V-MODA headphones. Everyone suspects he wall-hacks but after after careful spectating he is definitely not wall-hacking but he literally hears every sound possible from everywhere. As if he has way more sound than the norm. The best players on the server and I suspect he is using something because none of us hear what he is able to hear.

So is there such thing as sound hack? Or maybe using a sound card you can hear extra sounds?

Thanks,

Comments

• -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,457Player
    edited February 2017
    I can hear most sounds on inner almost over the full map, take up and over for instance I sit at the middle chair "camping" or tactical position as I call it =) and I can hear the enemy on west also choke and I can tell what side of choke they are on also I can hear them in atrium if one is coming through garden I can hear that and if a enemy is coming up north stairs I can hear that sometimes if a enemy runs through dark room I also hear that so you see from that one position you can hear a lot.
    I think he just has a good sound system.
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • derob.Stephanderob.Stephan Posts: 62Player
    edited February 2017
    I often hear grenade pin release sound from like nearby... Then i run away and hide, waiting, for nothing to happen......
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 299Player
    Even with my archaic sound, i can hear nearly everything on inner hospital. Its a small map. A sound card will definitely get you an advantage as well, or even pulling into a AVR with the right settings.

Headphone reviews and games like this always are kinda a crap shoot, as most people who review high end headphones arent nearly as into positional audio as these games require.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    edited February 2017
    Sound is far to OP in this game.. we hear too much too far.. it eliminates any strategy from the game.. we need to revisit sound in general.. and tactical needs to be 100% silent.. atm tactical is a useless feature since I can still hear you.. Sound is heavily in favor of the defending team, having a silent walk would balance out the game a tad and add strats that can actually work..

Works great in CS, you can actually rorate where in this game you're being followed through walls.. just take a look at crossfire.. sit in box room and listen to the entire map .. so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,457Player
    edited February 2017
    I agree tactical mode is useless.
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Sound is far to OP in this game.. we hear too much too far.. it eliminates any strategy from the game.. we need to revisit sound in general.. and tactical needs to be 100% silent.. atm tactical is a useless feature since I can still hear you.. Sound is heavily in favor of the defending team, having a silent walk would balance out the game a tad and add strats that can actually work..

Works great in CS, you can actually rorate where in this game you're being followed through walls.. just take a look at crossfire.. sit in box room and listen to the entire map .. so bad.

Not quite sure about tactical mode being 100% silent since you can walk in tactical mode but it is beyond me why proning isn't silent anymore. You are giving up already proning so why doesn't it grant that advantage at least?
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 299Player
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »

You played AA2 right? Sound has been nerfed a ton since then. On Mout Mckenna(gotta be what like 4 times the size of most aapg maps) I could literally hear the loyalty spawn, and load his weapon from honor spawn. I do agree that tactical mode should be fixed though. Prone should be silent, with as buggy as it is, theres no reason to use it if you can be heard just as well as crouch.

I think sound plays a more important role in AA than almost any other game, and i do think they did good work with the actual sound clips of the guns firing. However Volumes, Ambients, sound bouncing is in need of some work in my opinion

Would it be cool if your character weight had an effect on the noise you make? Example, if you were to pick up a secondary M249, and the 300 bullets it come with would be around 50 lbs? Make your steps louder. And other way too, if you drop your primary and only have your pistol, potentially make your footsteps quieter?
    edited February 2017
    Played many yrs of AA2.. dont recall everything especially the sound but sounds like it was screwed up big time if you could hear across the entire map...

Like I said.. good luck having any sort of strategy when I can hear you breath across the map..

Now the devs did a lot of work with us regarding sound In this game, many tweaks.. I give them credit here.. but that doesn't mean it was done right and I'm not pointing fingers cause this could be all on us the players.. and I'm sure many AA2 comments about hearing everything did come up... it's not right .. imo cs has it right

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,148Player
    edited February 2017
    In AA2 the only way you could be completely 100% quiet was prone slow crawling. However, I can't remember if ambient sounds in most maps were enough to make slow crouching silent as well. If you were standing, tactical or not, you could be heard. The problem of course was that people with the best sound systems heard crap that people with even above average sound systems couldn't dream of hearing. You'd wonder how some guy knew where you were. AA2 had a ridiculous amount of tweaks that people were using. Stuff that made you see further in fog, hear more, etc. The comp scene was a bit ridiculous in that aspect.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • =IK=.Scooby=IK=.Scooby Posts: 119Player
    edited February 2017
    I have a $30 pair of logitech headphones and use the free version of Razer Surround and standing at lobby desk I can hear atrium, surgery, surgery hall, dark room, dark lobby, north stairs, up and over, east choke and west choke though usually people are slowly moving in that area to peak dark and desk so it can be more difficult.

https://www.razerzone.com/surround

There's only one guy in this game that I know that has better sound than me(some just as good, but only one better).

You don't need a great sound card or great headphones for this game. Just some headphones that aren't complete trash and razer surround and volume on 100 and you can hear pretty much as well as it's possible to hear in this game.

Just as a forewarning if you start using this method for sound, you will get accused of hacking and probably banned from a server or two for it, just because this game's community is largely aids.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited February 2017
    I can attest you don't even need a dedicated headset, just plug a pair of cheap earbuds into your onboard/front panel audio jack and you can hear people in north stairs from dark/lobby room, even players running in surgery hall from the main desk. I've not owned many expensive headsets to "prove" a difference, but the few mid-range ones I have have had have only amplified the various ingame sounds, not added or enabled any kind of magic audible distance capability.

I'd say you DO NOT have to spend mega bucks to hear the same things at the same distances as someone who spends $1000's on fancy soundcards with headsets chock full of features.. yes of course there's a difference in sound "quality" between iphone earbuds and say a Sennheiser HD 800.. not gonna dispute that, but they aint gonna give you hacks :mrgreen:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    I've been playing on some 10€ Logitech headphones for a long time. I was really surprised about the music at the advertisements in inner lobby when I finally got a better headset. I literally couldn't hear it before and playing that spot alot it got annoying really fast. Besides I was able to hear footsteps rather well though with that cheap headset.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,047Moderator
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    In AA2 the only way you could be completely 100% quiet was prone slow crawling. However, I can't remember if ambient sounds in most maps were enough to make slow crouching silent as well. If you were standing, tactical or not, you could be heard. The problem of course was that people with the best sound systems heard crap that people with even above average sound systems couldn't dream of hearing. You'd wonder how some guy knew where you were. AA2 had a ridiculous amount of tweaks that people were using. Stuff that made you see further in fog, hear more, etc. The comp scene was a bit ridiculous in that aspect.
    Not even in AA2 was prone and slow 100% silent, x-fi fatal1ty and Sennheiser got me accused quite a few times.
    As for tweaks, it was basically two, one that was "exploitish" (and a popular cvar check, rightfully) and the other was to set the maximum sound channels to 128, outside of those, the tweaking in game wasnt that plentiful.
    The rest was done in EQ settings.

As for seeing "further" in fog, it was just the ingame brightens, contrast and gamma settings, default bind was F6-F8 iirc, but you could bind it to different keys.
    (it didnt actually make you see further, just more contrast between player and background.)
    ss_4_frankof.png
    In AA3 I actually used a cheap pair of Sony headphones that gave me just the right sounds.. I got more expensive headphones as a gift that brought out sounds I didnt other wise know existed.. instantly gave them back because they muffled gun direction and footsteps that were otherwise perfect.

Regardless.. dont even know why we just dont have transparent walls, since we can hear far too much.. now I dont care what AA2 was like or other versions I simply know we shouldnt hear as far and a complete silent walk would benefit the game.

• =IK=Juggernaut=IK=Juggernaut Posts: 69Player
    You could hear a lot in AA2, but slow crouch, prone, and slow prone were tough to hear unless you were right on top of someone. I think that if tactical mode were quieter across the board, and tactical prone was 100% silent, that'd be fine.

I wish that walls blocked sound, but isn't that an engine limitation?
  • =IK=Juggernaut=IK=Juggernaut Posts: 69Player
    edited February 2017
    On the other hand... Even if tactical mode sound was decreased, I don't know how much that would effect the game since AAPG is extremely fast paced in comparison to AA2
  • ZozooZozoo Posts: 15Player
    edited February 2017
    I do understand your point guys, but the thing is it is only this ONE player who has more sound than all of us. I have talked with the best players on the server and none of them are able to hear what this guy hears. They all have the same conclusion that this guy hears more than the usual. It is like wall-hacking but with sound. This guy is 1% skill 99% sound but it is so overpowered to have such a strong sound system. I personally cannot get 1 kill without my headphones but having the same sound limit to all the players in the game makes the sound system fair and I think this guy is abusing it. I almost never accuse players of hacking, but I am going to try to capture a video to prove my point.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    How far you can hear things are pretty set in stone on our end. It's much more likely someone would be using a wall hack and acting like "it's just sound". If you have someone to report please contact us at https://www.americasarmy.com/support/abuse
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

This discussion has been closed.