Huge 60+ FPS drop when shooting next to a wall

Frig!d..Frig!d.. Posts: 41Player
Hey everyone...after a long hiatus I'm finally back, might get back into playing regularly, we'll see.

Anyway, I am locked at a steady 60 FPS, but as soon as I get right next to a wall, and then empty a clip, my fps drops to 10-15. It's definitely the dust effect, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Comments

• [kT]Trigga[kT]Trigga Posts: 102Player
    could be a number of things but what are your pc specs?
  • Frig!d..Frig!d.. Posts: 41Player
    edited February 2017
    i7 quad core 2830QM @ 2.4 Ghz, hyper threaded to 8 threads
    nvidia quadro 2000m
    8 gb ram

Specs don't really matter...I can get 60 fps locked, until I specifically shoot a wall within 3 ft. It's definitely the bullet dust FX.
  • -[U|S|A]-Gorilla-[U|S|A]-Gorilla Posts: 709Administrator
    I have never seen this or heard of it but I will check on my soldier and see if there is anything. I wonder does this happen on a specific map? All maps? What maps? are you North, East, South, West? These things can be useful information if you can get them. Thank you!
    Every single map I've played, every direction, with all the weapons that I've tested.
  • [kT]Trigga[kT]Trigga Posts: 102Player
    edited February 2017
    Still seems as if its time for a pc upgrade to me. I used to only get 135 and have dips in firefights with i5 2500k and gtx 970

Edit: Build your own, dont buy a laptop, you will thank me later.
    [kT]Trigga wrote: »
    Still seems as if its time for a pc upgrade to me. I used to only get 135 and have dips in firefights with i5 2500k and gtx 970

Ok, but why on earth do I have a steady 60 FPS, and ONLY get a frame drop when I stand next to a wall, and shoot it repeatedly. I just heard on the game servers that someone else is having the same issue as well.
    edited February 2017
    First image, smooth 60 FPS, second, 19 FPS.

It's ridiculous and I really need to get it fixed.

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,018Moderator
    Frig!d.. wrote: »
    [kT]Trigga wrote: »

Ok, but why on earth do I have a steady 60 FPS, and ONLY get a frame drop when I stand next to a wall, and shoot it repeatedly. I just heard on the game servers that someone else is having the same issue as well.
    Particles, its not enough power to render all the particles, and unfortunately, i dont know of a way to turn them off.
    You used to be able to reduce the impact by using simunitions, but that's "fixed"

ss_4_frankof.png
  • L0rdDamianL0rdDamian Posts: 713Player
    Frig!d.. wrote: »
    First image, smooth 60 FPS, second, 19 FPS.

It's ridiculous and I really need to get it fixed.

Danm, never seen a cloud like that to begin with :open_mouth:
    Good luck getting a fix for this :+1:
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 552Beta Tester
    Are your drivers up-to-date? My laptop used to have a similar problem, (the laptop is not built for gaming, so my fps went from 40 to 5). After updating the drivers, the problem was still there, but not as extreme (45 to 15-20). I have an AMD card in it not Nvidia, but I think updating the drivers can't hurt too much.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    I feel like the particle effect must be poorly optimized, or there's some kind of bug, because fps should not jump from 60 to 10, then back to 60 within 3 seconds.

I updated my drivers yesterday, no visible difference.
  • =IK=.Scooby=IK=.Scooby Posts: 119Player
    A lot of this game isn't optimized very well. Dunno if that's on the game or the engine, but it's truth none the less. I get worse frames(I've locked mine at 110, and on maps like Slums I drop in to the 90s at times) playing this than I do when playing Witcher 3, Just Cause 3, BF1, etc, and this game doesn't look anywhere near as good as those, and often times there's more going on in those games than there is in this.

That being said, a 50 fps drop because of the dust when shooting does seem ridiculous to me, but I have no in depth knowledge on how that effects performance.

The devs really messed up when they forced both options to have the dust. They should have just eliminated it altogether.
    And the kicker is I figured out how to remove the visual effect(situational advantage sometimes actually), but the physics calculations are still being performed and I still get the lag.

I even dug into the upk files, and yep, it's a Particle Emitter system that's to blame. It'd be simple for them to fix.
  • -[U|S|A]-Gorilla-[U|S|A]-Gorilla Posts: 709Administrator
    I have checked and for myself I do not have this issue. I have asked a few other and only 1 other person had a small drop from 90fps to 78fps. I feel that this might have to do with your G.C since it seems to be 1 in so many people that get this. Did you check you G.C drivers to see if they were U.T.D.?
    Yep they're up to date. And a 12 FPS drop is still a drop
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,572Player
    edited February 2017
    Thats normal for a low end pc I think.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
    A drop from 60 to 10 fps? I realllllly think that's just a poorly optimized feature.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,018Moderator
    Wheres the physics calculated on your pc?
    I dont know if it would make a difference on your card, but try to have it running on the GPU in nvidia settings and enable physx hardware in AAEngine.ini(bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport=False)
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,189Player
    Whats your performance like from other particle emitting 'things'.. like steam from pipes, smoke grenades etc.. it would be peculiar if it only happened on the puffs of dust from bullet impacts.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

I have already turned onPhysX for my GPU. I get a performance dip in Fog, but not to the extent of the bullets. Probably dips to 40 if I stand directly inside the smoke.