Server Initialization Failure

BestrafungBestrafung Posts: 14Player
edited April 2015 in Server Support
I'm trying to setup an AA:PG dedicated server on my Windows Server 2008 SP1 x64. Every time I attempt to launch the server I get the following error:

SteamWrapperServer.log: https://justpaste.it/knvx
SteamWrapperServer.216.86.xxx.xxx.7778.log: https://justpaste.it/knw2

I've noticed that if I copy the folder to my Win 7 workstation with the full game installed it starts without this error. I haven't checked that it's fully working because it's too much trouble to open and port forward everything for the workstation. This leads me to believe the issue may be dependency related. Are there any dependencies that need to be installed on the server OS to run the dedicated server?

Comments

• m_hermannm_hermann Posts: 610Moderator
    What command line are you using to start?
  • BestrafungBestrafung Posts: 14Player
    m_hermann said:

What command line are you using to start?

aagame.exe Server BDX_Breach_EX /AuthServerUserName=XXX /AuthServerPassword=XXX /Global /MaxPlayers=8 /Auth
    ServerIP=216.86.xxx.xxx /SteamServerIP=216.86.xxx.xxx /Multihome=216.86.xxx.xxx  /Log=Gameserver.log /NoHomeDir /Unattended /NoPause /ConfigSubDir=AAHostAServerConfig0

• m_hermannm_hermann Posts: 610Moderator
    not sure why you have aagame.exe at the beginning, don't think that belongs there.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited April 2015
    Are you running this from a Windows command line (as opposed to using the Dedicated Server GUI)? That would definitely require starting your command with aagame.exe.

If so, are you executing the command line from C:\TCAFiles\Games\AAPG\Binaries\Win32\ ? I can produce similar error logs by running my command line from an incorrect directory.
    edited April 2015
    BCPull wrote:
    Are you running this from a Windows command line (as opposed to using the Dedicated Server GUI)? That would definitely require starting your command with aagame.exe.
    If so, are you executing the command line from C:\TCAFiles\Games\AAPG\Binaries\Win32\ ? I can produce similar error logs by running my command line from an incorrect directory.
    You are correct on both counts, I am starting from the command line and I am using the path you mentioned. If running it from the TCAdmin folder is an incorrect directory and causes errors, what is considered a correct directory? If I just run it from the Steam client location I won't be able to run more than one server at a time...

The full path and command is:

C:\TCAFiles\Games\AAPG\Binaries\Win32\aagame.exe Server BDX_Breach_EX /AuthServerUserName=XXX /AuthServerPassword=XXX /Global /MaxPlayers=8 /Auth
    ServerIP=216.86.xxx.xxx /SteamServerIP=216.86.xxx.xxx /Multihome=216.86.xxx.xxx /Log=Gameserver.log /NoHomeDir /Unattended /NoPause /ConfigSubDir=AAHostAServerConfig0
  • Seems being behind a router (firewall) and unchecking multihome fixed it for me.
    Make sure you run the AutoConfig for all the ports in that same section of the menu.
    Even though my firewall permitted the connection, the ports didn't sort themselves out until i actual ran the "AutoConfig" for both port settings (above Register Server).

Ive tested this numerous times, and it seems that ALWAYS fixes that error.
    I'm trying to run this from my server at the datacenter, there is no hardware firewall and for these tests the Windows Firewall was temporarily disabled. I also tried checking and unchecking multihome. I ran a "netstat -ano" before and after starting the game server and can confirm it is listening on ports 7778 and 8765 for the IP specified. I'm not sure why it isn't listening on the other ports, most likely because it isn't actually starting properly. I'm still getting the Server Initialization Error popup on startup and now I'm getting console messages indicating it can't authorize. I registered the server IP prior to posting on the forum so I can't imagine that it's related to that.

Here's the console window indicating it's still waiting for auth:
    AAPG_error.jpg

Latest log file: justpaste.it/ksvq
    The server is still getting the Initialization Failure at startup but appears to be passing auth now. I then updated Punkbuster. The server appears to be online and listening but it is not listed in the server browser. Upon trying to manually connect via IP I get kicked with the message "kicked from server due to failure to authenticate". I've had another player try to connect and they also receive this message.
    edited April 2015
    Ok, progress... Auto Configuring ports didn't work the first time but for some reason after starting the Steam client and running the port configure again it seems to be working. After closing the client and restarting the game server it seems to be working. I still have testing to do.
    One question I do have though is about the ports. After starting the game server I ran a
    C:\TCAFiles\Games\AAPG\Binaries>netstat -ano | grep 216.86.xxx.xxx

And received the below output:
      TCP    216.86.xxx.xxx:8778    0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       4840
      TCP    216.86.xxx.xxx:8779    0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       4840
      UDP    216.86.xxx.xxx:8777    *:*                                    4840
      UDP    216.86.xxx.xxx:8780    *:*                                    4840
      UDP    216.86.xxx.xxx:8781    *:*                                    4840
      UDP    216.86.xxx.xxx:8782    *:*                                    4840

The launcher states the ports to be:
    UDP 8777 - Game
    UDP 8780 - Auth
    UDP 8781 - Query
    UDP 8782 - TS

What are the TCP ports used for and do I need to open all 6 in the firewall?
    edited May 2015
    Update: This appears to be related to starting the server via command line versus the launcher. When using the launcher the game server starts and runs without issue. When attempting to use the command line (copied and pasted from the launcher) it only opens the game and TS ports, gives the Initialization error from the first post, and eventually crashes.

Can anyone explain what needs to be added to the command line or edited in the config files to allow it to run without the launcher?

Update 2: Using Process Explorer I've compared the details between aagame.exe when by commandline and launcher. The config files aren't changed, both are being started by the built-in administrator account during the same login session. The only difference (obviously) that I can find is the "parent: cmd.exe" vs "parent: AAlauncher32.exe". I've even tried running from the commandline with both the launcher and Steam client minimized in the background. The only way to launch a stable server has been to use the launcher.
  • L3gacyL3gacy Posts: 12Player
    Do we have any updates on this? Has anyone else been able to get AA to run from just a command line w/o using the launcher?
    hivebanner-2.png Get you AA:PG Server Today At HiveGaming.Net
  • GBGangstaGBGangsta Posts: 63Developer
    edited May 2015
    Almost everyone does. As far as I know Im one of the few people that does use the Launcher to run the Officials.

The GSPs mostly run TCAdmin or similar although its not something Im particularly familiar with.

As far as running direct from a command line, as long as you are running it from the executable path there is no reason it shouldnt work

We still can't get it to run. What exactly do you mean by "running it from the executable path"? I have used the full path to the exe and also been in the win32 directory, it doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Ok, it looks like it's actually working now. I'm not sure why it wasn't before but at least I'm finally getting closer to the goal. There appears to a problem with TCAdmin still that I'm working on but I have a question reqarding server queries. What protocol should I use in TCAdmin 2.0 to query this server? I tried AA2.x, Gamespy v1-v4, HL2, and HL2 new and none seem to work.
  • .[iceman].[iceman] Posts: 10Player
    I experienced this error when launching from command line outside of the working directory. As soon as I cd'd to the root directory (AAPG/Binaries/Win32) and launched the server from inside the directory, the error went away.
    edited May 2015
    Update: It seems I have resolved all of the errors and the server even starts and authorizes when launched via TCAdmin. The issue I'm having is that when launched as a service via TCAdmin only 4 ports are opened and listening, the server isn't listed in the browser and doesn't respond to queries. When I use the same exact commandline directly in a command window from the remote desktop login all 6 ports are opened and everything works fine.

As a service:
    C:\TCAFiles\Games\AAPG\Binaries>netstat -ano | grep 216.86.xxx.xxx
    TCP 216.86.xxx.xxx:53       0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 1620
    TCP 216.86.xxx.xxx:7780     0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 78388
    TCP 216.86.xxx.xxx:7781     0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 78388
    UDP 216.86.xxx.xxx:53       *:*                 1620
    UDP 216.86.xxx.xxx:7783     *:*                 78388
    UDP 216.86.xxx.xxx:7784     *:*                 78388

Command prompt from remote desktop:
    C:\TCAFiles\Games\AAPG\Binaries>netstat -ano | grep 216.86.148.128
    TCP 216.86.xxx.xxx:53      0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 1620
    TCP 216.86.xxx.xxx:7780    0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 84168
    TCP 216.86.xxx.xxx:7781    0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 84168
    UDP 216.86.xxx.xxx:53      *:*                 1620
    UDP 216.86.xxx.xxx:7780    *:*                 84168
    UDP 216.86.xxx.xxx:7783    *:*                 84168
    UDP 216.86.xxx.xxx:7784    *:*                 84168
    UDP 216.86.xxx.xxx:7785    *:*                 84168

Does anyone know what might be causing it to not open the other ports and listen properly when started as a service? I know other GSPs have this working but so far none seem to be willing to help.
    Edit: It's UDP ports 7780 and 7785 (game and TS) that aren't being opened.
    If anyone is following this consider it resolved. The issue turned out to be insufficient permissions. The game server MUST be run as the local admin account and not the built-in TCAdmin user.