AAPGMOD v1.0

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,546Beta Tester
    So......Now my AllTerrain on a 64 player server needs to come out.............. :D :+1:

Heh heh.

Interesting stuff, Doba.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 491Beta Tester
    On what level is this compatible with the vanilla game? Are stats saved to our main accounts? Is installing/uninstalling for players as simple as adding/removing a single file?
    (I'm really not into this, sorry for the potentially dumb questions...)
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    That's a good point, Levente. This shouldn't be possible to Auth and Score, IMO. Hmm...

Personally, without taking away from the creativity here, I've been musing about how this initiative could hurt a game still in active development (and anyone who thinks the Devs are done............is wrong.)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    On what level is this compatible with the vanilla game? Are stats saved to our main accounts? Is installing/uninstalling for players as simple as adding/removing a single file?
    (I'm really not into this, sorry for the potentially dumb questions...)

good question, who knows.. it is an honored server .. hmm tough to say without further testing..

yes its only 2 files that allow access to the moded servers but dont affect the original game

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 491Beta Tester
    edited October 2016
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    That's a good point, Levente. This shouldn't be possible to Auth and Score, IMO. Hmm...

Personally, without taking away from the creativity here, I've been musing about how this initiative could hurt a game still in active development (and anyone who thinks the Devs are done............is wrong.)

In my opinion it's not necessarily bad if you main account gets stats from this. In fact, if executed correctly it might turn out pretty good...
    I wonder what the Devs think about this though...

BTW, did anyone read the Steam agreement/ToS/license/whatever for the game? Does it say anything about modding it?
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    I don't think a 'mod' is the same as modifying the game code, but that's my personal uneducated off-the-top opinion....
    ______

• L0rdDamianL0rdDamian Posts: 713Player
    Personally i think mods for this game is a good, but it should disable the auth of the server that uses mods. I think the devs should code in a line that detects if the server is modded or not, we need to keep in mind that if mods start to roll out more with out restrictions to it we will see players that only have one hour play time but the highest rank duo mods with xp modifiers and thats something we should not allow there for automatic disabling of auth when mods are being used.
    I don't think a 'mod' is the same as modifying the game code, but that's my personal uneducated off-the-top opinion....

Yes from my understanding none of the actual code is touched, this is simply using existing UE3 features

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited October 2016

Kinda tricky, all that. It's extending through addition to the game code.

Consider the way this mutator handles disabling certain weapon damage. When the game sees an "AADmgType" object, it checks the type of the source. Oh, it's from an M24? Change the "Damage" value to 0.

Now imagine the mutator affecting XP gain, or # of kills awarded per kill, or whatever else.

It's tricky in that "mutators" are conceptually part of the Unreal engine since, I think, near the very beginning; I remember playing with plenty of mutators in the original Unreal Tournament.

It'd be nice if the mutator could purely sit server-side; requiring the client to have the same setup is an unfortunate wrinkle. I wonder how the i9 guys got their setup to work that way. (back during beta; Easy's code?)

It'd also be nice if there were controls on how mutators might affect aspects of the game that could harm others.

Any word on how difficult it was to cook/compile the mutator script to work with AAPG? I'd love to see details on that.
    Saccho wrote: »

Now imagine the mutator affecting XP gain, or # of kills awarded per kill, or whatever else.

Honestly I dont know if that is or isnt possible, nor do I care to investigate as its not the purpose of this experiment, were trying to push the game into a better state not cheat ourselves into higher ranks/stats.
    It'd be nice if the mutator could purely sit server-side; requiring the client to have the same setup is an unfortunate wrinkle. I wonder how the i9 guys got their setup to work that way. (back during beta; Easy's code?)

This would be nice, sure would get a lot more people involved, or at least have it like UMM are, once one enters the server his game is automatically updated.. But when you tell a bunch of people to DL something they dont know and install in their game, they're likely not to help.

Ive only heard of i9's code recently as Ive been spreading the word on this.. never had the chance to see what they actually did.
    It'd also be nice if there were controls on how mutators might affect aspects of the game that could harm others.

not sure how any of this is harming others?

=IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Honestly I dont know if that is or isnt possible, nor do I care to investigate as its not the purpose of this experiment, were trying to push the game into a better state not cheat ourselves into higher ranks/stats.
    My understanding is that the AA databases are pretty trusting of the data coming from the game servers and mutators create room to massage that data. It's a concern about mutator use in general, not anything specific to what you guys are doing.
    not sure how any of this is harming others?
    Simple example: using a mutator to get high shoothouse leaderboard scores, or setting up a mutator that adjusts recoil properties only for server admins, or ... . Mutators are pretty powerful. Again: these are issues for mutators generally speaking, not AAPGMOD.

To be clear -- I'd like to see strong mutator support from the Devs and love the whole idea of an AAPG mutator suite, it's just a tricky area to explore.
    edited October 2016
    I get what you're saying, one could potentially use a mutator for personal gain, aka Hack .. clearly were not about that.

This would be so much easier if the Devs would release a Comp Mod that may or may not have been spoken of before lol
    To be clear -- I'd like to see strong mutator support from the Devs and love the whole idea of an AAPG mutator suite, it's just a tricky area to explore.

ya we could use simple support like unlocking server downloads which would eliminate the need for the client to DL anything.. UT3 supports it
    Any word on how difficult it was to cook/compile the mutator script to work with AAPG? I'd love to see details on that.

Its not easy to even compile a mutator for this game as there has been no SDK (software dev kit) or files released by the devs.

• [EF]=JAY=[EF]=JAY= Posts: 109Player
    edited October 2016
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    So after testing and looking through the Log, we've come to the decision that its your Host, it must be blocking you from going over your paid slots, our test server provider has it open so we can test the 64 slots and it worked.. we might or might not have gotten an email from them though lol

unfortunately its not as simple as opening all slots in game, the server provider isnt that easy to "mod"

and to pay for 64 man slot just might not be worth it

I am hosting this server myself on my network so , thats not the problem.

The server shows up in the server browser with 64 slots, but i cant logon.

Any ideas?

Steam Name:[EF]=Jay=
    [EF] =Elite Fighters=
    Server IP:82.255.178.154:7778
    b_560_95_1.png
  • [CLS]_SgtMac[CLS]_SgtMac Posts: 199Moderator
    Post up your logfile from the server Jay, most likely it is authentication if you are on a private network you probably want to run as LAN server instead of Authorized server.
  • [EF]=JAY=[EF]=JAY= Posts: 109Player
    Post up your logfile from the server Jay, most likely it is authentication if you are on a private network you probably want to run as LAN server instead of Authorized server.

Hello ,
    I posted the log a few posts back.
    no Auth problems.

the server works as soon as i take aapgmod out of the command line i can log on as usual.

Steam Name:[EF]=Jay=
    [EF] =Elite Fighters=
    Server IP:82.255.178.154:7778
    b_560_95_1.png
    Just reinstalled the whole server... i downloaded the file i uploaded. installed it to to my cookedpc, the servers cookedpc. then added the config to the config folder on the server and changed the commandline to add the mutator. Nothing else and it worked...

I don't know what to say..

So today I had my server authorized (thanks Devs for that quick work), and after some trouble shooting and thanks to Keebler, I did get my server working from my PC.

After that I did load up the Mutator but only the "InitMutator" function ran, but no other function which is strange considering everything works fine on the other server hosted by Gameservers.

Were kind of in the process of figuring out the difference between a hosted server and my home server and why one's working and the other one isnt.. no clue so far.. any help appreciated

Is your mod.ini placed in the correct directory? That's one place that's easy to screw up.

I'd explicitly name a directory in the server command line:
    server bdx_breach_ex  [...]   /CONFIGSUBDIR=ModServerConfig

... and then make sure the mod.ini is in that directory.

So my command line would refer to "S:\Steam\steamapps\common\America's Army\AAPG\Binaries\Win32\AAGame.exe" for the executable and the mod ini is in "S:\Steam\steamapps\common\America's Army\AAPG\AAGame\Config\ModServerConfig".

I've successfully run the mod on a LAN server and a self-hosted global server shouldn't be much different.
    edited October 2016
    Thanks Saccho, having the Mod file in the wrong section seemed to load it but dismiss the features.. moving it into the correct location did fix that.. Thank you

So AAMOD moved from AAGame/Config.. to AAGame/Config/AAHostAServerConfig.. is the fix

edited October 2016
    I suspect (maybe not, maybe so) that if you fully define your defaultproperties section in the mod for each variable that the mod would at least still load without a properly-placed INI. A default value for each variable defined as config.