Is Offline Mode Borked???

Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 313Beta Tester
edited September 2016 in Game Support
Recently, (like the last few days) whenever I try to start AAPG to test, play or practice offline I get the dreaded old; AAGame.exe has stopped working, error message.

I believe this is since the last update although I’m not 100% sure.

*NOTE* I said “offline” as in, Not Connected to the Internet.

Guess what? If I connect to the internet, re log into Steam I can then play in “offline” mode. But, I cannot then go to online mode as the main screen shows LOGIN at the top instead of INTERNET. (Clicking LOGIN just pops up the Login screen but once I fill it in and click on Login it takes me bake to the main screen which still shows “LOGIN” at the top)

To go online I have to close both the game and Steam, connect to the internet and then start Steam and then the game.

This is happening on both my ROG laptop and my desktop gaming system. I have also tried two different accounts on both systems.

So to recap, in order to play “offline” I have to be “online”. If after playing offline I wish to go online I have to log off AAPG and Steam then restart both.

Am I doing something wrong or do others have this same problem?

I was able to play offline for years. I need to as I'm using my cell phone to connect to the internet and data rates are freaking HIGH here!
556127a3323e2cfd0355aaa34b6e0b63-full.jpg

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,413Beta Tester
    edited September 2016
    Without Steam running, if I start the AAGame.exe located in \Binaries\Win32 I get to the login screen where I click "Play Offline"

I then go the the Entry screen and the top line is indeed "Login" since if you want to join a server, you'd have to log in. How can you do otherwise? You'd have to be on the internet to get to those servers.

All of the Offline stuff you can do is under "Training."

I guess my question is....how are you trying to start the game?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 313Beta Tester
    edited September 2016
    You’re mixing things up a bit Keebler. I/we used to be able to play without being connected to the internet. I used to do exactly as you described. I’d start AAPG via a desktop shortcut to AAGame.exe. What I'm saying is it does not work that way any longer. Now I must be connected to the internet to get the game to run.

I have to connect to the internet, start the game, then alt/tab to the desktop and disconnect. Then I can resume my test, practice, what ever session. You with me so far?

The next part is the “I cannot login to get online even after I’ve connected to the internet because I’m still in offline mode” bit. I get stuck in a loop of click on Main Menu LOGIN, go to the Login screen, fill it out, click “Login” not “Play Offline” and then return to the same main menu. There must have been a Steam login somewhere in there.

If I start Steam and then the game in "Offline mode" and then disconnect, when I reconnect Steam still has me in "Offline mode." This is where I have to close and reopen both Steam and AAPG to get to "Online mode". Capisce?

I understand everything is under training. My point is I used to be able to flip back and forth between testing offline and then going online to verify what I found offline. I find it's become more complicated.

If no one else is having a problem with this then it must just be my feeble brain.
  • }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 629Administrator
    I do not have this issue but I may be misunderstanding. Please take a video so that I am sure. But from what I can tell I can toss back and forth offline and online no problem.
    edited September 2016
    Duke, have you navigated to the exe above and clicked on it DIRECTLY? The way I did it works for me, so if it doesn't for you after hunting down the file, then let's talk about bug whacking.

A lot of people have been seeing some weird stuff.

(NOTE: While I didn't have Steam running, I didn't actually disco the internet, so.....I should test that.)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    -=MvC=-Gorilla, I did use Shadowplay to record the onscreen action but as I use two monitors some of what I did was on the 2nd screen and therefore did not show up in the video. It was getting late so I didn’t try again. I’ll have another go tonight or tomorrow and take screen snips of the steps, menus and messages. (I will not upload a video from home due to file size.)

Keebler750, I did both. I navigated to the file and created a new desktop shortcut. When that shortcut didn’t work I then just double clicked the file in it's folder but got the same result. It’s a tease because it starts out fine right up to the end of the opening. It’s when the Main Menu screen should appear that it throws up the “AAGame.exe has stopped working” error.

I was going to say that maybe it’s an Internet Explorer problem because that seems to be the issue with most things. Like, why I can’t use the “Quote” function on this forum. However, you are using IE as well, right? So why do you not have the problem and I do???

As my friend Bill Shatner would say; “Now is that weird or what?”
    Everyone has a different PC and system and not everyone has the same net. Some people net is on wireless (more loss) and some are wired in. Although I personally don't play like it all the time lol I and running a $3500 C.D. system and I am wired in. My wife has issues with the net if she even tries to stream a movie some time because its on a laptop and wireless.
    I just tested this the way Duke did....with the internet not connected. I get the same error. Game can't be started TRULY offline....
    ______

Hmm I wonder.
    Erm..........what do you wonder, Gorilla....? Could you test it for me? Disable your LAN connection to the router, and try to start the AAGame.exe manually.
    ______

• -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-ACI--[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-ACI- Posts: 362Beta Tester
    It wont let me, when I disable my internet I can not join offline.. Hmm never tried that before so I am not sure if it is a new thing, but as soon as I turn the internet back on I can join offline..
    One day I will graduate noob school!!!
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

• Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 579Player
    Same problem here! This did not happen before, but I am not sure from which version this problem exists. Why not being connected to the internet gives a "AAGame.exe" has stopped working is mysterious.
    edited September 2016
    If you have a desktop icon created when you installed the game then right click on it. Click on “Properties” and you’ll see it’s an internet shortcut (.url) to “steam://rungameid/203290
    As best I can figure out, there must be a similar “ET Phone Home” type of command within the AAGame.exe file.
    Therefore, when connected to the internet you can start the game from either the desktop of the .exe file. But, if your system is not connected to the internet it cannot find that .url and thereby causing AAGame.exe to stop working.
    edited September 2016
    Duke_Audi wrote: »
    If you have a desktop icon created when you installed the game then right click on it. Click on “Properties” and you’ll see it’s an internet shortcut (.url) to “steam://rungameid/203290
    As best I can figure out, there must be a similar “ET Phone Home” type of command within the AAGame.exe file.
    Therefore, when connected to the internet you can start the game from either the desktop of the .exe file. But, if your system is not connected to the internet it cannot find that .url and thereby causing AAGame.exe to stop working.

Negative, my shortcut links directly to the .exe ( I deleted the steam created shortcut long ago).
    Direct start of a local exe should have nothing to do with a desktop Steam shortcut. Two separate animals, even if the URL says "Go start that exe"

Thanks to the others who have confirmed this issue, and Duke_Audi for bringing this up!
    ______

edited September 2016
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Erm..........what do you wonder, Gorilla....? Could you test it for me? Disable your LAN connection to the router, and try to start the AAGame.exe manually.

Here you go

I dunno, but I'll bug it. :)
    ______