Ddos and Aussie servers

I'm not sure if this forum is moderated by a dev or something but the Aussie servers are all currently being ddos'd so no one can really enjoy the game when all that happens is constant server crashes due to the ddos.... Is there anyway this can be stopped?

~Ivy's*Kiss

Comments

• doogle!doogle! Posts: 628Player
    I'm no mod, or anyone of importance really. I'd assume this is an issue to take up with your server host.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    We've been seeing some targeted DDoS attacks against various PG servers. You'll need to speak with your server host.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• We have mentioned it to the 2 different server hosts we've gone through however they say that there's nothing that they can do about it and one of them recommended trying to contact the Devs of the game... hence this post xD

So if there's any other suggestions, feel free to share them now :)
    Regards,
    ~Ivy's*Kiss
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,400Player
    edited December 2016
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 966Moderator
    We have mentioned it to the 2 different server hosts we've gone through however they say that there's nothing that they can do about it and one of them recommended trying to contact the Devs of the game... hence this post xD

So if there's any other suggestions, feel free to share them now :)
    Regards,
    ~Ivy's*Kiss
    Im not sure what the dev's are supposed to do with this, its a server overload issue.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • L0rdDamianL0rdDamian Posts: 700Player
    There is nothing you can do about it against these attacks on game-servers, chancing server IP(s) or banning the incoming IP(s) wont do anything. The only thing that might give a little protection is the hosts contacting their datacenter and request a automated DDoS protection layer (Most datacenters already have it). Other then that, you will have to deal with it for now and give them as less attention as possible.
  • simple, remove the ip of the server list server in the game
  • [CLS]_SgtMac[CLS]_SgtMac Posts: 199Moderator
    IP geolocation and black helicopters would be nice...
  • L0rdDamianL0rdDamian Posts: 700Player
    ^DoubleX^ wrote: »
    simple, remove the ip of the server list server in the game

Will not stop it.
    netstat -b

• @Delton, are your servers Aussie or something else?

As for banning the ip or changing it, we have changed it numerous times and it still does nothing... Not sure how to remove the visibility of the ip off the server list though.... Game servers won't out a ddos protection on, we've already queried it and we don't have access physically to their server box to manually install an anti ddos protection software, which is what game servers have stated...
    As for our old server box that we had, it's to costly to get said anti ddos protection plus run the server box.

So how do we remove the ip for the server list without removing the server itself?
    This is happening to EVERY Aussie server, not just the clan I'm ins servers
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    People more or less need to know the IP to connect. The master browser list needs to be able to query your server to tell people it exists and it does that via the server's IP.

The general advice for home users is "don't let your IP become public", but the next best option is with hardware routers/firewalls dropping the offending traffic before it reaches you. That requires that you be able to identify the offending traffic which will depend on the details of what you're facing.

I suppose you could theoretically bounce all your traffic through another location, filter it, and forward everything to your secret server IP. Of course, now all you've done is move the DDoS problem from one server to another *and* added more hops and more latency... and I doubt it's particularly feasible to begin with.

As others have said, it's ultimately on the service provider to effectively deal with this. It's best handled upstream of the server anyway and that's their relationship, not yours.
  • Okay thank you for your feedback :)
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,499Beta Tester
    You can run a LAN server and populate it by giving the IP to known players...invite only basically. It won't generate any score, but at least you could play. Just for fun, I just set up an AA3 server this way and it worked.

This doesn't broadcast the IP over Steam or the ingame browser.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-ACI--[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-ACI- Posts: 367Beta Tester
    The DDoS attacks are not just in Aussie servers, seems Lowping gameservers are having a heck of a time..

We ordered a dedicated server box two weeks ago, and are still waiting, I was told by lowping that they are busy fighting these attacks that took out the NY data center for a bit, or cause them to shut it down, and they dont want to put up our new box until they have increased all the security on all their servers..
    One day I will graduate noob school!!!
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

• -NFA-Mrs.Vixen-NFA-Mrs.Vixen Posts: 7Player
    The DDoS attacks are not just in Aussie servers, seems Lowping gameservers are having a heck of a time..

We ordered a dedicated server box two weeks ago, and are still waiting, I was told by lowping that they are busy fighting these attacks that took out the NY data center for a bit, or cause them to shut it down, and they dont want to put up our new box until they have increased all the security on all their servers..

We purchased an american server also to test if it were purely on Australian servers and it worked for a while without any hassle but now we're having the same ddos problem there also, it just took more time.....
    This is killing off the AAPG community, the players I used to see so frequently in game have now told me that they've uninstalled because of this issue and they refuse to come back until the problem is fixed.
    edited December 2016
  • -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-ACI--[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-ACI- Posts: 367Beta Tester
    Yeah I agree it is really getting bad.. The box we did get and with extra layer of ddos protection, we still had the same issues, and higher pings for our members lol but that was because it was in Dallas, we took it down until we get a spot in Chicago for it.. But my Chicago servers still are getting hit now and again, one day I had to take the server offline for about 2 hours came back and it was fine since then.. Sad they ruin it for everyone!!
    One day I will graduate noob school!!!
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,166Player
    What I'd like to know is who in the heck goes to the trouble of DDoSing AAPG servers?

The disgruntled banned?
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

edited December 2016
    edited December 2016