AAPG First Released Three Years Ago

CaterPCaterP Posts: 190Developer
8/29/2013 was the initial release date of AAPG and the start of the open beta.

It is hard to believe it has been three years! People today are playing a vastly different game than the one we first released.

We released with 12 maps (ignoring BDX/FLO versions of the same map. All but the Hospital family of maps were "training" maps. They were not well received by many people. I can't blame them; we didn't like them all that much either. It is a long story as to why those maps were made the way they were.

Our features have changed and evolved over time. For the better I hope. Some examples:

When the game first came out people could spectate their own dead bodies. This was a bad idea. :) We knew it but it took a while to get permission to change that. One would often hear "Nade my body!" over comms in those days.

Once upon a time players could be revived twice and downed bodies would never bleed out. Made for a very different game then. We are much happier with the current implementation.

It has been quite a journey. I am proud of what our team has accomplished. Most will never know the obstacles we have had to overcome. Every game has its challenges and working for the Army has its own unique set of challenges! I know some in the community will never be satisfied. That is fine, that is how things are. Can't please everyone all the time. Even Overwatch and its 15 million players has its critics.

AAPG isn't done. In the short term we have more UMM contest winning maps and a net code update is on the horizon.

Thanks for playing America's Army. We only ask that you enjoy it!

A quick tour of other notable updates over the past three years:

Oct 31, 2013: Added lean, added equippable grenades (previously they were only quick throw), added the Hooah! key

Feb 20, 2014: Redline and Harbor Assault maps, C4 game type (yes we messed up making the bomb securable by defense!)

Mar 27,2014: Mission Editor available

July 3, 2014: Added roles including sniper and M24, Coldfront and Slums, Tactical movement, actual minimaps (previously was a radar with no background)

Sept 23, 2014: Players can drop and pickup weapons, Intercept added, weapon damage falloff introduced

Oct 30, 2014: Overload is our first UMM contest winner

April 17, 2015: The first of several opt-in tests begin

Oct 1, 2015: AAPG officially out of beta with new HUD/UI, rank system, weapon skins, new character models, enemy weapons, demorec, etc.

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,413Beta Tester
    I've always seen this as a journey, and it's been interesting. Thanks Devs, and congrats!

As one of the few original forum members still posting, I've seen a lot. I joined the forum in July 2002. That seems crazy!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • MaclobsterMaclobster Posts: 212Beta Tester
    Dam time flies :awesome: , it is a interesting future, thanks Devs for the hard work :+1:
    (\/) (',,') (\/)
    Pipeline
    HonorTown
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,377Player
    Thank you dev's and beta testers for all the hard work and many hours you put in to making this game great.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    The hooah key is the most important addition we ever made. The game is literally unplayable without it for me!
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• MaclobsterMaclobster Posts: 212Beta Tester
    TheTots wrote: »
    The hooah key is the most important addition we ever made. The game is literally unplayable without it for me!
    yeah, but missing a ''Hooah'' ( i like ) on the forum :awesome:
    (\/) (',,') (\/)
    Pipeline
    HonorTown
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,165Player
    I hope that my post count indicates that i've both been along for the ride and enjoyed it :)

Everyone deserves a thanks now and again.. you guys don't often seem to get very much of that but you should know that people are thankful.. even if they aint quite content all the time :)

I only hope I aint been too much of a pain over the years.. I joined the community in the later stages of AA3 and was really harsh back then.. not because I'm a particularly horrible person but because I wanted that game to fulfil the potential and promise I saw within it. I guess I cooled down over AAPG and have been able to enjoy it.. even when you ripped the ACOG out from atop of our M4s :lol:

Thanks devs. Congrats on the 3 years! Here's to (hopefully) another 3 :mrgreen:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,566Player
    edited August 2016
    Congratulations with the three years :+1: :)
    TheTots wrote: »

Now I only wait for the rest

Commo_____________Leader Commo
    "Affirmative"_________"Move Out"
    "Negative"___________"Fall Back"
    "Thank You" (Home)___"Hold Position"
    "Sorry" (End)_________"Check your Assignments"
    "Hooah" (NumPad 5)___"Spread Out"
    "Follow Me"__________"Form Up"
    "Go, Go, Go"__________"Great Job"
    "Stop"_______________"Complete the Objective"
    "Sniper"_____________"Complete Objective Whiskey"
    "Watch your Fire"______"Complete Objective X-Ray"
    "Good Job"___________"Complete Objective Yankee"
    "Cover Me"___________"Complete Objective Zulu"
    "Request Support"
    "Request Door Breach"
    "Request Report In"
    "Request Suppressive Fire"
    "Stun 'em"
    "Smoke 'em"
    "Frag 'em"
    "Secure the Area"
    "Southwest" (NumPad 1)
    "South" (NumPad 2)
    "Southeast" (NumPad 3)
    "West" (NumPad 4)
    "East" (NumPad 6)
    "Northwest" (NumPad 7)
    "North" (NumPad 8)
    "Northeast" (NumPad 9)

HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • -VI-ImaHustler-VI-ImaHustler Posts: 81Player
    Dunno if its only me. But this felt really like a goodbye letter all the way untill the end.
  • -pR|Arkeiro-pR|Arkeiro Posts: 726Player
    UMM contests i'm so hyped!

Over 1.1k Golden Hawkeyes.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,991Player
    edited August 2016
    Dunno if its only me. But this felt really like a goodbye letter all the way untill the end.

It's kind of like that or a response to the fact that a lot of us have been saying that the game has been abandoned considering the overall lack of content in the past 10 months. It also kind of felt like a "Hey, we know that the game could have been better, we did the best we could with what we were allowed to do, but the powers that be won't let us make the game how we want it." Of course that could just be my interpretation.

If you look at the major changes over the course of the game, most of them took place in 2014. It is no coincidence IMO that they put out this big patch in October to see where the game would go and then now it's in this limbo with occasional "steady state" updates. Let's hope that the netcode patch helps as much as they say and they can then return to adding features to a game that so desperately needs them (or start on AA5).
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,566Player
    Whiplash27 wrote: »

It's kind of like that or a response to the fact that a lot of us have been saying that the game has been abandoned considering the overall lack of content in the past 10 months. It also kind of felt like a "Hey, we know that the game could have been better, we did the best we could with what we were allowed to do, but the powers that be won't let us make the game how we want it." Of course that could just be my interpretation.

It could also be because it's three years since the game started.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • -=D3G=-Tower-=D3G=-Tower Posts: 1Player
    edited August 2016
    Best FPS game ever!! Love the details!! Tnx devs and betas for your hard good job! The Czervanian weapons were a major add on the game. And i agree that the game is unplayable without the Hooah! Key

Hooah!
    edited August 2016
    -Ner0- wrote: »
    Whiplash27 wrote: »

It could also be because it's three years since the game started.

Obviously, but the content of the post is interesting considering things around here recently.
  • -=DA=-Denial_FGN-=DA=-Denial_FGN Posts: 45Player
    While there has been a lot of development with the game, I think there is a huge miss when it comes to execution because the biggest component for this game's survivability is not being addressed at all. AAPG has no focus in regards to a competitive atmosphere. Yes, the game does a lot of things well, and listening to the community is 50/50. But when it comes to trying to produce a greater balance in game play and extending the life of the game, the competitive community is your greatest source of information, and I feel the devs have fallen short on this.
  • velocity.kuuukimon..!velocity.kuuukimon..! Posts: 5Player
    edited August 2016
    You should bring back key for "Grandma was slow, but she was old" from AA2. I miss that one! And of course... good job devs for everything!
    edited August 2016
    Comp focus would have helped back in the beginning and I definitely agree that not taking the input of comp players severely damaged the game and its reputation (comp players bring/take a lot of people with them and have a strong influence with word of mouth). One thing I can say is that in my many years of playing FPS games I've seen two models of development be successful.

1. Put out a game that is complete from day one (more common from AAA producers)
    2. Put out a game that clearly has potential and then add features consistently as you go and then go to a full/final version.

AA games typically have followed #2 and quite frankly I love games that follow that model. Every FPS game that I've played for an extended period of time have followed that model. It makes it exciting waiting for the next patch to come out since there will be new features to keep the game fresh.

AAPG got a bad rap in many places from day 1, but the Devs were still putting out new features and such on a decently regular basis and I would say overall improving the game. Sure there were some not so good patches along the way and changes that annoyed a lot of people, but IMO the overall direction was pretty good, even up to and including the v1.0 patch that many still hate (the go back to beta people). It's certainly what kept me interested and hoping for a top notch game. The core community was more or less happy and kept coming back to see what was coming next. Eventually that all slowed down big time (see evidence in CaterP's post) and I think it's ultimately what has led to the game being how it is today. I think even comp players would have stuck around longer if the game was constantly being updated. Comp players would deal with the lack of support if the game was good enough.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    fgn_denial wrote: »
    comp
    Large games grow comp scenes. Comp scenes don't grow games. Many people are in denial about that.

I also got a "Oh no, CaterP's leaving!" vibe when I started reading. Happy to be wrong. This post was a nice reminder of the development podcasts when we got a chance to look inside the machine and hear some of the thoughts behind the design choices; I miss those. It's too bad they didn't get higher viewership.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    What are we gonna see from this "net code update"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    What are we gonna see from this "net code update"

Kartigan will go into great detail when it's time, but the short version is a highly optimized netcode, smoother performance. Kartigan recently likened it to "500 ping will feel as smooth at 150 used to" as an example of what a difference this is making.
    The netcode is being slimmed down a lot, it's extremely noticeable. I won't go on because I can't speak to it nearly as good as he can.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

edited August 2016
    Saccho wrote: »
    fgn_denial wrote: »
    comp
    Large games grow comp scenes. Comp scenes don't grow games. Many people are in denial about that.

I think it's a combination, but the large game needs to come first before competitive play is given a full treatment. A thriving comp scene adds further growth and sustainability to an established game. I do think that developers need to design their games with a competitive mindset though. A competitive design that's fun makes for a good game for pub only players too. Even an small comp scene is important to have around since many comp players tend to be the most rabid players of a game who will learn the game inside out to a point where they may even know the game better than the developers. It's a great knowledge base to have if you wish to use it.

I'm not saying that you necessarily need match making or ranked modes from day 1. In fact many developers add those features only after the game has established a good player base. However, you do need day 1 features that make competitive matches easy to pull off because it's a fact of FPS gaming that people will want to try to play the game competitively from the very beginning. At the bare minimum easy UI panels with the ability to start, stop, pause, reset matches/rounds with ease are certainly important and will show those players that the development team actually cares about competitive game play.