What Do WE Want See in the Next Version of America’s Army?

Comments

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    ^^^ stranger spotted

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    AA not a FPS = Easiest decision to cut the cord with a game ever.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • [Prt_Dictator][Prt_Dictator] Posts: 275Player
    edited August 2016
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them try a Battlefield style of game to put more branches of the military in the spotlight. Not exactly my cup of tea but it kind of makes sense as the next step for the brand. Other that an AA2 remake which I don't see happening, where else can you go after AA3 and PG?
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them try a Battlefield style of game to put more branches of the military in the spotlight. Not exactly my cup of tea but it kind of makes sense as the next step for the brand. Other that an AA2 remake which I don't see happening, where else can you go after AA3 and PG?

Towards a competitive game obviously. Realistically though, don't see it happening.
    Yeah up to date engine pure comp in mind ADS game... one can dream I guess

How much to hire current devs for separate project?

• [Prt_Dictator][Prt_Dictator] Posts: 275Player
    edited August 2016
    Give me some mod tools for PG and I do it for free, at least the competitive gameplay.

For real though, they want teens to have eyes on the USArmy brand right, having a successful competitive game could bring a lot of attention to it. High profile Youtube channels and Twitch personalities giving it some coverage and stuff like that.
  • RollingInTheHurtRollingInTheHurt Posts: 200Player
    I doubt you will see an AA5.
    AA3 and AAPG have been a flop for one reason or another.
    Glory days are long gone, the brand is dead, people have moved on.
    As the dev said, they are not a one trick pony and so their skills/assets are best spent elsewhere on projects deemed more productive and cost effective.
    If I was lt/col/gen mc pen pusher, I would wind this project up.
    1.jpg
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited August 2016
    AA3 flopped because it was a major change from AA2 and it was super buggy for years. It was a rushed release and a large part of the team that worked on it got canned at release (or something along those lines). Many of the features that were promised never came and people gave up on the game quickly. The game never recovered from that. Personally, while I was never super crazy about AA3, if the game got the attention it deserved and didn't release in such a terrible buggy state, it would have probably been more popular than AAPG ever was.

AAPG flopped for many reasons. A few of the major ones, IMO.
    1. People expected a return to something like AA2 after AA3 flopped, didn't get it.
    2. Game was too fast with too little Army for people who wanted the "Army experience" (when open beta released, the amount of Army stuff was almost zero) and had too little competitive focus for people who wanted a fast ADS comp game. It could have appealed to both if done right, but instead appealed to neither.
    3. Scope fest in early version of the game, followed by removing scope fest and angering people who had used the ACOG M4 as a crutch for months (even though it was a smart decision, the issue should have ever existed).
    4. Dev stubbornness when it came to changing/fixing/removing certain major features (e.g., revives/medic, supported)
    5. Lack of interesting features, especially ones that organically drive (rather than force) team play and allow for customization based on play style.
    6. Box maps & just a generally unmemorable map set. Also AA2 & 3 maps would have made a huge difference. If the game came stock with the most popular AA2 & 3 maps, the game would have held a decent base of players in spite of a lot of the growing pains.
    7. Netcode/stability issues (especially earlier on)

I'm sure I could think of a few others. I'm not saying everything AAPG did was bad, but there were major issues that made the game dig its grave pretty quickly. I do think the original open beta release timing was poor considering the state of things at the time. The game got hammered by many reviewers at the time. If you type America's Army Proving Grounds in YouTube, you still get review videos from August/September 2013.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • JungleSheepJungleSheep Posts: 87Player
    .sauce wrote: »
    America's Army: Enemy Unknown

I wouldn't mind an X-COM type tactical game. Turn based squad firefights with time units!

• EvilstormEvilstorm Posts: 19Player
    I want to see everything that the game "squad" is trying to achieve. Stop making cod games and show people what really goes on in the army,
    Evilstorm wrote: »
    I want to see everything that the game "squad" is trying to achieve. Stop making cod games and show people what really goes on in the army,

Wow I wish my request was as easy as going and playing another game

• TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,278Player
    Evilstorm wrote: »
    what really goes on in the army,

So daily pt, working a desk job, and keeping your on base housing clean :lol:

The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 461Player
    Whip, I think your on to something. I agree with all of your comments on AAPG. Like it or not, AA3 was like nothing else in its genre. It was the perfect mix of gamy with a bit of realism tossed in. It wasn't all that graphically impressive, but the immersion and map layout made it really seem like the Army. I don't get any of that with AAPG. AA3 was quite unique and fun if you could read into what it had going for it. I totally agree with the sentiment that it could have been much bigger than AAPG and what it was had many balls not been dropped.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,621Player
    UE4 has all the tools necessary to build your own game, and a great pricing structure. It's quite interesting, and a well supported community. I think the 'idea people' here should start putting their creativity into action.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 337Player
    edited August 2016
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    UE4 has all the tools necessary to build your own game, and a great pricing structure. It's quite interesting, and a well supported community. I think the 'idea people' here should start putting their creativity into action.

i picked up a book on friday about game developemnt in UE4... plan to make something as a winter project. I'm just going to start with small things first, but hopefully can find a decent base to start with. I have some programming experience from college, and a few of my coworkers used to be developers for EA games, so hopefully they can train me up.

Steam group for self made aa5?
  • `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 359Player
    Meh, you made me go check on that (in)famous thread as you called it and the nostalgia kicked in. I miss some of those folks that for a reason or another left the community, the game or the project itself.

As for what I want for the next game.. I want a game that's made for the day it is released. With solid and new technology, aiming for the future and using today's world challenges as purpose for the game itself. I also would like it to be known by the masses.
    Oh well.
  • -PPaaxx--PPaaxx- Posts: 1,576Player
    Exactly 4 years ago today.
    My original nick is -Ner0-
    It's now banned after the
    latest update.
  • Dudash.dflDudash.dfl Posts: 11Player
    I hated AA3 when it first came out but over time I eventually started to like it and then it became my favorite game (besides the original AA!). I've given AAPG a fair chance but I still cannot get into after attempting many times to play this game. It doesn't feel like AA to me.

I know this will never happen but if somehow they could take the best parts from AA2 + AA3 and mash them together to make AA5.....if only dreams became true... =)

Personally, I'd be willing to pay up to $60 for an AA5 game that actually feels and plays like an AA game!
  • PhilippovichPhilippovich Posts: 218Player
    TheTots wrote: »
    It's not even certain that the next AA game would be a FPS. Every day the Army is becoming less and less about boots on the ground shooting and more about STEM fields.
    RIP
    Who knows the next AA could be anything from a robotics sim to an RTS, a medical trainer to a story driven single player / co op campaign saga.
    RIP x2
    There is a lot of talk internally about the future of AA and it's all very exciting, don't box yourself in with one genre or nostalgia from previous versions.
    RIP (?)

Well I guess that if you are satisfy of how the game is currently, and you are "busy" working on other things, it means that it is time for the players to move on.
    GG
    crying-baby-600x198.jpg