Texture 2d; Adding custom photos

I've searched high and low but cannot find what I'm looking for. Someone really needs to make some tutorials for the advanced editor as it relates to AA:PG. Everything I find regarding the editor is for Unreal (except for the ones I found from Wolverine and a couple of others).

First of all, what are the Texture 2d files for within the Content Browser? I can't drag them to my map and I can't use them on my paintbrush.

Secondly, I've read some articles/tutorials on adding custom images but they will not load into the Content Browser. I get a failed to load error (or similar - it's been a few weeks since I last tried). I have Photoshop Elements but no matter which format I try it won't load into the editor.

I really just need to know how to put an image into the map that I created much like LOBO does in his maps, so if LOBO or anyone that's accomplished this task could give me some guidance I would appreciate it.

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,165Player
    edited August 2016
    Textures are used to compose parts of a material. Materials can be dragged and dropped, but not the textures. What it sounds to me like you to need to read up on is 'decals' ..

https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UsingDecals.html

Also, ensure you save the decal material after you have made one, in your map file, otherwise it wont work.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 618Player
    1st, file format should be tga ,(for anything texture/material/decal)
    2nd, depending if you want custom, MATERIALS or DECAL
    since your talking about paintbrush i would guess your landscape painting ?
    remember anything imported must be saved in your map (so when they say package thats your map)

• {IRISH}loxalot{IRISH}loxalot Posts: 64Player
    1st, file format should be tga ,(for anything texture/material/decal)
    2nd, depending if you want custom, MATERIALS or DECAL
    since your talking about paintbrush i would guess your landscape painting ?
    remember anything imported must be saved in your map (so when they say package thats your map)

Thanks for those.

Right now I'm just wanting to add something like you do to your maps: your logo.
    then you make your logo , in photo-shop or whatever ,save it as targa (image size 512x512 or 1024x1024) , open your map ,find it in the packages in the content browser, import file , then right click new decal material , add your texture make it opacy masked etc ,right click mouse on your map add movable decal whatever name , then save
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,413Beta Tester
    I need to practice this stuff too. Good info!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,114Beta Tester
    I have few tutorials some where in these forms on " how to import into the editor".
    I have few tutorials some where in these forms on " how to import into the editor".

I think I saw that tutorial but it wasn't clear on how to import a file from start to finish, unless I just missed that part.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,165Player
    edited August 2016
    It can be a little tricky at first but once you get the hang of it it's quite easy.. You basically have to find your map in the content browser (on the bottom left side.. where you see all the packages), right click it (or on an open space in the browser window, with your map highlighted) and choose import, you have to do this with anything custom (such as static meshes, materials etc..) that you wish to use into your map, so that when your finished and publish it to the workshop and people download it, they will then have the assets needed for them to appear in your map.. if you don't import them then anything you added would be missing from the map for anyone who don't have them assets, eg they would only be visible and present to yourself, since you would be the only person with them on your PC.

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

Lobo I'm having some issues with the landscape. I followed your video to the letter but the editor keeps saying externally referenced packages. The landscapemats wasn't already listed in my content browser so I created one which automatically put it under External. I've redone the landscape 3 times and now it's under Cooked PC > Saves > Landscapemats but it keeps giving the external package error.

I'm trying to fix a map for a friend so I need the saved file to contain all packages before I send the file back to him. What can I do?
    edited October 2016
    anything you add must be saved to your map (package)
    open content browser and find your map, then add textures to make new material
    edited October 2016
    A note on map structure:

In the present game, regardless of what the Unreal Engine can do, the .umap file must contain ALL of the map information, the shadowmaps, the instructions for asset placement, and ANY custom items. They cannot be somewhere else in the folder structure.....how would the other player's client know where to find it? Steam is not set up in AAPG to use this structure for Workshop item downloads.

So, all items must be absorbed into the map. Your map name....is your 'package' name. They are one and the same. So when you are asked where to save an item.....it goes in your map name in the list. Anything OUTSIDE that map will be considered "Externally Referenced."

There are ways to get around this limitation, but not if you're putting maps onto the Workshop.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    That might explain why my custom decal isn't showing up in one of my maps.

I thought I was saving the custom items correctly but I guess not. I'll look into it further this weekend and post if I have further.
    anything you add must be saved to your map (package)
    open content browser and find your map, then add textures to make new material
    Which folder within the content browser are you referring to? The External folder of the CookedPC folder? Your video isn't clear on where your landscapemats are saved.

you have to find your map name in the content browser and have your map open , i will post a screen shot this weekend
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Lobo.

I found another or similar issue. I finished fixing the friend's map, sent him the umap and upk files, he modified some minor things, saved it with a different name (other than the one he had it originally, which I had put into the World Info) and uploaded it to steam. Now when I add that map to our server, his map with the new name shows up but right under that, where the next map should be listed, it says landscapemats.

I did something wrong and I'm not understanding what. I've not had this problem with other maps I've created but then again I have always created a map within the basic editor then opened it in advanced to do more editing. The only map I did from scratch, the landscape is missing and the map has issues so I gave up.

Also, we love your hallows eve map!
    sounds like ,what your copying from the upk file isn't been saved on your map, ive noticed recently you have to double check everything as stuff isnt copying like it used too, like the material will copy/move but the textures stay under upk file name so it goes sideways when you try to save
    Does there seem to be some kind of package bug, Lobo?
    ______

not sure ,you used to be able to move stuff that you had imported into 1 map to another, by simply finding the package/map and then selecting the asset /materials/textures ,and do a move/rename to your new map, (same with moving from upk files) , now you have to double check that everything has moved correctly , ive found materials will move ,but the texture will still have the old package/map name so then if you save you get a fail as external package , or it will save then when you go to publish ,you find missing materials