Aim Punch vs Suppression

The original thread was whether there was aim punch or not, and there was.
DeltaKilo wrote: »
suppression affects your vision and you do "flinch" a little when you get hit in the opt-in, not a lot, but a little. There is no flinch with suppression, not by us anyway, if you flinch when you get scared that is on you...

It was followed by a lot of conversation on whether to keep suppression, aim punch, or both. Let's have a nice way to easily see those opinions without going through many pages of discussion.
Aim Punch vs Suppression
  1. AP or Supression?23 votes
    1. Aim Punch/Flinch
      56.52%
    2. Supression
      13.04%
    3. Both
      30.43%
  2. Aim Punch23 votes
    1. The opt-in was good
      43.48%
    2. More than the opt-in
      26.09%
    3. Less than the opt-in
      17.39%
    4. None
      13.04%
  3. Supression23 votes
    1. The opt-in was good
      21.74%
    2. More than the opt-in
        4.35%
    3. Less than the opt-in
      43.48%
    4. None
      30.43%
TheTots wrote:
I think this thread has run it's course......

Comments

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    In my experience, testing suppression alone with Tear, it was fine, so Opt in was good in suppression

I did experience both suppression and Aim Punch and I though it was a little too much, kind of freezes you in your place, youre helpless .. too much together.

I would like to try Aim Punch on its own

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • =IK=El.Jefe=IK=El.Jefe Posts: 72Player
    Although aim punch is a strange name for this phenomenon. I would like to see it by itself. Everyone agrees that suppression is a mental thing and should not be forced by a physical effect. "Aim punch", however is a physical thing and way more appropriate to simulate.
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    edited May 2015
    i prefer the flinch be in the game, (and some form of it for flashes and nades as well...) this makes players play smarter, and punishes zoom optics in cqb as it should.
    -
    as far as suppression goes, we already get a penalty to accuracy from being suppressed, much like we get when we are low health. the blinding effect on top of that needs to be nerfed. the center of the screen should remain clear.
    -
    grenade screen shake should also keep that center of the screen clear as well...
    -
    i also want a dev to confirm one thing about bullet suppression that is kinda sketchy. if suppression is messing with target's mouse sensitivity, you need to remove that. idk why but every time i am suppressed my mouse doesn't move how i want it to when i am trying to shoot, and leads me to believe mouse sensitivity is being messed with there when it shouldn't.

• SithHunterSithHunter Posts: 109Player
    edited May 2015
    -
    i also want a dev to confirm one thing about bullet suppression that is kinda sketchy. if suppression is messing with target's mouse sensitivity, you need to remove that. idk why but every time i am suppressed my mouse doesn't move how i want it to when i am trying to shoot, and leads me to believe mouse sensitivity is being messed with there when it shouldn't.

It might be a side effect to FPS drop because suppression effects can cause that. I noticed similar effect when I turned fps smoothing off.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    aim punch increases skill cap so I'd like to see it stay.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    Some extra things that may not have been considered --

Suppression has a minimum range. If an enemy is shooting at you from very close (if they're less than 10 meters away), there's no suppression effect.

If you're close to a teammate, suppression wears off twice as fast.
  • omerta`easyomerta`easy Posts: 46Player
    Can someone explain to me what the current suppression effect adds to the game?

With most of the stupid stuff people think should be in the game I can at least understand a little where they are coming from. I can't even see what the argument for suppression would be. It seems completely unnecessary to me.
    It adds a visual component to indicate bullets are passing near you. It creates a tangible benefit to spamming into an open window or door when you know an enemy is waiting there. (Eg spam bakery window on downtown so your team's flag carrier can run from north alley without getting sniped. Or spam a corner so your ally can rush it after you've burned through all your flashes.)

For the record -- I've said in the past I'd like to see it toned down.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,032Moderator
    You should try flinch on suppression, that was a hoot...
    Especially against AI with unlimited ammo and bad aim.
    (back in the days, just after the dinos, in a super secret version)
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player
    edited May 2015
    There was some discussion about suppression in this thread for those who missed it.

http://forum.americasarmy.com/discussion/200/what-makes-an-immersive-gameplay-experiance/p1
    ---
    Less suppression, and flinch is good is what i voted for.

Grenades can almost blind you even if they don't hit you.. but that may be classed as screen shake? Basically comes down to the same thing for me.
    edited May 2015
    BCPull wrote: »
    It adds a visual component to indicate bullets are passing near you. It creates a tangible benefit to spamming into an open window or door when you know an enemy is waiting there. (Eg spam bakery window on downtown so your team's flag carrier can run from north alley without getting sniped. Or spam a corner so your ally can rush it after you've burned through all your flashes.)

If you think about if you have a saw and your spamming bakery window so your teammate can run the flag you don't suppression to achieve this that person in bakery window can't peek from all the bullets flying at him. Getting hit by bullets or flinching from being shot is enough you don't need suppression. The way suppression is in game is very unrealistic and its terrible and way over powered on a m14, you already give the gun 21 bullets 21 free spam shots don't need to add suppression to the max with that. Reward someone for hitting with aimpunch! Don't reward someone for missing with suppression!

If you think about if you have a saw and your spamming bakery window so your teammate can run the flag you don't suppression to achieve this that person in bakery window can't peek from all the bullets flying at him. Getting hit by bullets or flinching from being shot is enough you don't need suppression. The way suppression is in game is very unrealistic and its terrible and way over powered on a m14, you already give the gun 21 bullets 21 free spam shots don't need to add suppression to the max with that. Reward someone for hitting with aimpunch! Don't reward someone for missing with suppression!
    3BCI3L4.png

In this setup, the player in the building is protected from the bullets. Without a suppression effect, he completely prevents the runner from being able to run to the extract. With suppression, his aim is impaired.

Whether this is good or not is open to debate, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate and presenting a situation where the effect can be used in a tactical way. Fogs or grenades would also be compelling options, but they're likely gone by the end of a round. For the sake of argument, suppose time is running out and the blue players don't have time to re-position for better angles.
    edited May 2015

3BCI3L4.png

In this setup, the player in the building is protected from the bullets. Without a suppression effect, he completely prevents the runner from being able to run to the extract. With suppression, his aim is impaired.

Whether this is good or not is open to debate, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate and presenting a situation where the effect can be used in a tactical way. Fogs or grenades would also be compelling options, but they're likely gone by the end of a round. For the sake of argument, suppose time is running out and the blue players don't have time to re-position for better angles.
    Thats where you fog/smoke.
    and in this scenario your talking about its likely a 2v1...Therefore your gonna push the guy bakery from each side to trap him or push him at the same time. Your not going to risk sending your guy to rush to extract if you know the last person is bakery and turn it into a 1v1 you want that 2v1 to turn into a 2v0 round won.

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    I doubt that example works as described. If the bakery player is standing far enough back from the window he won't get supressed or not too much at least. Just doesn't work out with an angle like that.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,191Player
    edited May 2015
    I often spam certain spots (just like BC's image shows) to help my team advance, I do this knowing that 'if' someone is there that the suppression effects of me blasting away are going to keep them from popping out.. allowing a move to happen. Even if there were no suppression effects.. who's is mad enough to expose themselves to a barrage?

This is what the SAW is great for and one of the main reasons I like to use it! I swear some people won't be happy until this game is dull and boring, where we all have to run around with M4s w/Aimpoints deathmatching.. at least that's how it looks sometimes.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    Suppression balance is a deeper issue than removing suppression.
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS
    I often spam certain spots (just like BC's image shows) to help my team advance, I do this knowing that 'if' someone is there that the suppression effects of me blasting away are going to keep them from popping out.. allowing a move to happen. Even if there were no suppression effects.. who's is mad enough to expose themselves to a barrage?

This is what the SAW is great for and one of the main reasons I like to use it! I swear some people won't be happy until this game is dull and boring, where we all have to run around with M4s w/Aimpoints deathmatching.. at least that's how it looks sometimes.

So making minor changes to your favorite weapon is making the game dull and boring? If you took away ALL suppression from the SAW it would still be an excellent weapon choice. Minimal recoil increases, 3x the ammo, minimal ready time increases, 4x optics. What else do you need to feel the SAW without heavy suppression effects is a viable option??

LETS GO PENS
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,572Player
    edited May 2015
    If SAW is so very much OP why doesn't every one want it? I often see SAW is free when i join a game, most time a SAW is free, I think.
    Edit: just joined LHR11 and both SAW's was free.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
    It's not very much OP. It's just overboard on the suppression considering it's versatility. A reduction of suppression effects in no way ruins the weapons viability. Not even close.

LETS GO PENS